Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » The Lobby » Risking Your Life for Your Pets » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.Note: The ethos of the forum we're attempting to cultivate is one of mutual respect for each other as well as the promotion of interesting conversation in a mature, yet casual, environment. We ask posters to keep this aim in mind whenever making a contribution here.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 13, 12 at 10:36pmDynamite

So.... it's cold in the UK as of late and, unsurprisingly, many minor rivers and lakes have frozen over here. Perhaps more surprising, though, is going out for a stroll with your dog and happening across a man crawling across a frozen river in his underpants:

quote Sky News - Man In Pants Crawls Across Ice To Save Dog
This is the astonishing moment a man is snapped crawling across an icy river in just his underpants to rescue his dog.

The owner is pictured inching across the River Stour before tumbling into the freezing water just metres away from his pet.

Incredibly, both the owner and the dog managed to clamber out of the river unscathed, if a little cold, and then continued their walk.

Firefighters were quick to condemn the man's actions as "extremely dangerous" and warned others not to follow suit.
More at the source and yes, don't worry, there's a picture of the incident there too.

As crazy as this seems to me, actually it isn't uncommon to read about similar rescue attempts. Unfortunately, however, many end with the would-be rescuer requiring to be rescued themselves or, more tragically, losing their own lives in the process.

So, anyone here who'd attempt to rescue their pets from danger if it meant risking your own life? Dare I ask... would anyone be more inclined to go in after their pets as opposed to trying to help a human stranger?

This is a tough one for me because whilst I think doing what this guy did is pure stupidity from a rational point of view, as I understand the fact that pets such as dogs are much more likely to be able to survive for a longer period in such conditions than a human could, I also kinda understand the emotional attachment people have to their pets and why they would do this on the spur of the moment.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts anyway and any stories you have where perhaps you've done something like this yourselves.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 20, 12 at 5:57am
Kokoro

Honestly, I wouldn't. Yes, it would terrible to see my pets die, but if it means risking own life, I wouldn't do it.

Feb 19, 12 at 8:09pm
Kaiba

I've always developed close bonds with any pets I've had. I'm sure I would do whatever I could to save them if there weren't any professionals around who could better handle the situation (firefighters, etc.).

Feb 18, 12 at 6:17pm
Willow Vampire

The Toro-on-a-ledge story is extremely cinematic. They should definitely make a motive about that, or at least a comic (serious suggestion). I've never risked my life for my pets as the situation hasn't arisen. As much as I love my cats I would not die to save them. I'd risk injury to save them from death though, sure.

Back to the original post, why the bloody hell would you take your clothes off? it's ice he's climbing across -___-

Feb 18, 12 at 2:32am
Redemption

Sometimes when you take action it might not be just the pet's life that you worry about, but the people who would be impacted if that pet is lost.

Again, I'm not condoning such actions, I think I made a big mistake because all I had to do was knock on the neighbour's door to ask them to let me into their balcony. That option didn't occur to me because it was late at night and when under stress and adrenaline it's easy to get tunnel vision.

Feb 17, 12 at 9:47pm
Mouldy Cheese

That's sad to hear, justin I had a similar experience with a guinea pig that died after a week of having it; I was completely crushed.

I think I'm one of those seemingly stupid people that would go into a fire to save their pet. In fact, when I was a teenager there was a poisonous snake outside our house and our old farm dog was harassing it. Despite the fact that I'm petrified of snakes (I have quite the phobia of them :/), I ducked outside to grab her collar and pull her inside. Sure, it's no climbing 12 stories up to save it (damn you Redemption, that's a tough story to beat ), but that was scary enough for me!

I dot think it'sjust about having a dog or a cat that you "should" save; but in the case of my current dog it's been me who has raised her, taught her and given her the attention she needs. In return I have her love, respect, unfaltering committment and obedience. I don't think I could just sit by if she were in trouble.

It's more than just having a pet, it's about saving your friend.

Feb 17, 12 at 7:05am
oliveoil

I would definitely do anything to save the life of my dogs. They mean to much to me. <3

Feb 16, 12 at 6:15am
Justin

Very cute cat!

This is something I've never grown accustomed to. My dad's always been anti-animal and my mom, due to temporary living arrangements and low income, either lost the privelege to care for animals or they ended up "running away".

I think my turning point was when my rabbit died. The nicest thing I have ever gotten was a surprise, "let's go get a rabbit!" that my mom took me to when I was in third grade. I was literally obsessed with rabbits, and was ecstatic when I got her, Amy (my brother's named appropriately Sonic).

I wasn't aware that Rabbit overheated easily and was picked up months later to hear the horrible news. I don't think I've ever been that sad. ):

Not that I'm insensitive to animals (as I do love a majority of them), but intimate relationships with animals ceased since my rabbits and I've grown immune to having too much affection towards animals in general. Not that I wouldn't ever find myself loving an animal to this extent, but rather can't see myself doing this at the time being. Rambled a bit, sorry.

Feb 16, 12 at 3:59am
kingy

Yikes, Redemption.

By the way, have you ever considered renaming him to Garfield? That picture is a perfect representation.

He even has the same "Meh, go away" look on his face, haha.

Feb 16, 12 at 3:45am
Redemption

I actually risked my life for Toro before.

We were living on the 12th floor of a building and Toro had escaped to the balcony, but somehow he had climbed to the other side of the partition separating our side of the balcony from our neighbours (balconies are shared). I tried to get to him by sliding across on the outside edge of the balcony until I realised I was 12 stories up, hanging on the outside of the building with nothing below me.

It was a stupid thing to try but sometimes its not obvious how stupid it is until you reflect on it.

Feb 15, 12 at 10:14pm
Keiichi

I can certainly see myself risking my life to save a pet, or most any animal, within reason. I'm not going into a fire or a freezing river after a wolverine or something else that might take my arm off when I reached it.

However, there is a secondary thought process that needs to be considered: i.e., what are the likely consequences if something goes wrong? If I make a mistake, or if the situation changes for the worse, is it going to become necessary for someone else to risk his or her life to try to save me? In that case, I have to say no, and I'll see my pet in the next world.

Granted, I might not be thinking quite that clearly at the moment I realize the animal's life is endangered, but I would hope I'd give it at least a little bit of reasonable consideration before diving in with both feet.