Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » ReQuests, Feedback and Suggestions » [Suggestion] Automatically Close Threads That Hit 30 Pages » Post Reply

Note to Guests: This forum is only for issues related to neoseeker.com. Please, do not post questions related to games. RFS is for site related discussion. If you require gaming help, check the forum directory here and search for the correct forum.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 04, 12 at 11:56am

Right now, all threads are manually closed, even those that hit 30 pages. So should there be a feature implemented into all threads existent that will close them automatically when they hit 30 pages, particularly in forums without mods, as threads in those forums often overstep 30?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 20, 12 at 4:41am
Memento Mori

I think this video does a nice, less-than-serious job of explaining things.

Anyway, a lot of forums will close threads that hit 30 pages for a number of reasons, tradition just being the first. Threads like general discussions would be quite daunting and hard to navigate if they were megathreads and not split up, for example.

However, with the fact it is no longer a technical requirement, when a topic/thread is such that it does go to 40, or 50, or more pages, it can be done without any issue.

Feb 19, 12 at 5:01pm
Shadow The HedgehogX

I agree that it looks ugly with more than 30 pages.

If I become a moderator, i'd make a 35 page limit.

Feb 19, 12 at 4:09pm
Aurora

Because that's the tradition. It used to be mandatory at 30 pages, so that's what most mods are used to doing.

Feb 19, 12 at 4:06pm
Castlewars

So why do the mods still close them at 30 rather than let them continue to a different linit?

Feb 08, 12 at 10:15pm
Thunder850

No support. I've always thought that the 30-Pages "rule" was a load of crap, especially when the moderator decides to delete it. So, yeah, no.

Feb 08, 12 at 6:44pm
Aurora

quote castlewars
I know that this has been said before, but there was no clear answer. What if that happens in a forum with no section mod at all, like in Super Mario World?
There are category moderators as well, but in the case of forums like Super Mario World which have no local, section, or category moderator, you'd have to grab the attention of a supermod. An @-mention or PM should do the job — whichever you'd prefer.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Feb 08, 12 at 6:40pm
Rune Ripper

castlewars - Like I told you, there is not even a 30 page limit guideline anymore. Redemption abolished that in this very thread. You do not need to worry anyone about threads that go beyond 30 pages.

And for what it's worth, Aurora clearly said category mods are available to tell if a section mod isn't. And even if a catmod isn't, a super would deal with it.

Feb 08, 12 at 6:38pm
Whelan

Then you take it up with a Super or just stop caring tbh

Feb 08, 12 at 6:36pm
Castlewars

quote Aurora
I see what you mean, castlewars, but the 30 page "limit" is more of a guideline than anything else. We do generally try to not let threads go over 30 pages, because it looks a bit messy on the index. There are cases where it's desirable to have a thread go beyond this though, and I don't see many 30+ page threads that should be closed but aren't. So, I'm not really sure if there's any issue with how things currently operate.

If you see a thread in an unmoderated forum that's beyond 30 pages, I'm sure that no one minds you letting the section or category moderator know.
I know that this has been said before, but there was no clear answer. What if that happens in a forum with no section mod at all, like in Super Mario World?

Feb 08, 12 at 6:34pm
Rune Ripper

quote castlewars
quote Whelan
not anymore
So what's the limit for the servers, then? Should threads automatically close at that limit?
No. There is no need for a limit like this at all, especially now Redemption has said that threads don't even need to be closed at 30 pages anymore.