Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Computer Help and Discussion » Microsoft programs on OS X » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 03, 12 at 10:04pmAurora

So, gang, how has your experience been with MS's Mac programs?

I did have Office 2008, but I swapped it for OpenOffice and iWork because I hated how clunky it felt (for me the apps took ten seconds to make it past the splash screen). Naturally, the installer opted to trash up my dock and fill my Applications folder with a bunch of extraneous apps for which I had no need ("Windows Remote Desktop connection"? wtf?).

I've just had to install Microsoft Messenger to work my way around a bug. Normally, I use Adium. I had to run an installer: why can't I just drag and drop the .app file into my Applications folder like everything else? What makes this single application so sparse that an installer is required? Anyway, the installer ran for about 3 minutes, throughout which my background mysteriously went black.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 07, 12 at 9:17am
VooDoo22007

I guess i'm in the minority.

iWork is incompetent for what I do. Word has a built in equator inserter, which makes lab reports more easily constructed. Excel allows me to insert equations so it saves me from having to calculate each value by hand and inserting every value.

Although Keynote is competent, if not better, all of the computers in the classrooms are PC's so it makes it more of a hassle to use Keynote.

Only complaint about MS for Mac is that there is no retina support so it's fuzzy as hell

Jun 10, 12 at 12:55pm
Wheat

I didn't like using Microsoft Office on my Mac. It was frustrating. I just use Mac software for Macs and Microsoft software for PCs.

Jun 10, 12 at 1:23am
Lazy

I tried Microsoft Office and just stuck to Apple Software. I'm too lazy to install anything really fancy though, so I just use TextEdit etc.

Feb 21, 12 at 7:42pm
Duncan Idaho

Vermilion wine is awfull, but you should try corssovergames, those folks take a take two on wine and improve the windows running like thousandfold, it can run dolphin and audio surfer with no lag.

Feb 18, 12 at 12:36am
Arietta

Microsoft Software on Macs is AWFUL.
I was using Microsoft Office but I hated it. I have been using iWork for a while now, and it's awesome. Not only does it do it's job better than MS Office (IMHO), but iCloud syncing is great. I wouldn't give that up for anything.

Messenger for Mac is awful. It's in like Version 8.x.x, and that's from like... 2007 or so. It crashes often, doesn't have customization, I hate it. Sadly just for Messenger I installed Windows in a Virtual Machine because I don't like the other clients so much.

Feb 03, 12 at 10:04pm
Aurora

So, gang, how has your experience been with MS's Mac programs?

I did have Office 2008, but I swapped it for OpenOffice and iWork because I hated how clunky it felt (for me the apps took ten seconds to make it past the splash screen). Naturally, the installer opted to trash up my dock and fill my Applications folder with a bunch of extraneous apps for which I had no need ("Windows Remote Desktop connection"? wtf?).

I've just had to install Microsoft Messenger to work my way around a bug. Normally, I use Adium. I had to run an installer: why can't I just drag and drop the .app file into my Applications folder like everything else? What makes this single application so sparse that an installer is required? Anyway, the installer ran for about 3 minutes, throughout which my background mysteriously went black.