Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Reinstalling Windows on SSD Question » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 25, 12 at 1:25amFury

Okay, I currently have a drive with Windows already on it, as well as a bunch of files I want to keep. Say I buy an SSD and install Windows on that. Will the SSD be able to see the files on the other HDD even though it also has Windows on it? Also, is there anyway to "delete" Windows on the HDD to free up space, while keeping the other files?

I was thinking of either doing that or a RAID 0 for my friend's PC. When he told me he needed more space, I was telling him how he could speed it up and still maintain all the space with RAID. I figured reinstalling Windows on an SSD instead could be a better option though, because I don't think he needs that much more space, plus it would speed up boot times and OS files. What do you guys think?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 27, 12 at 6:48am
Fury

quote Covert_king
putting an ssd and a hard drive in raid wouldnt make a difference, you have to make sure your motherboard can support the speed of an ssd anyway,. i have 2 vertex 3 in raid 0 and had to change motherboards to be able to get the full speeds from the drives.
Just as far as SATA II vs III goes, or is there some other factor? I made sure to get SATA III when we built the PC, and the SSD would be that as well.

quote Iceguy2003
If your laptop and PC support 1Gbit Ethernet, you can transfer pretty fast. I transferred around 250GB yesterday of all kinds of games and other files from my PC to a laptop and was transferring at up to 120mb/s, which is right around my max read speed anyways, using Ethernet and a cable to support 1Gbit speeds.
Both are pretty new, so I would imagine the ports would support gigabit ethernet. I have no clue if any of my cables are though, it's been a long time since I've bought one of them. 1gbit is Cat6 right?

Jan 27, 12 at 6:10am
Covert_king

putting an ssd and a hard drive in raid wouldnt make a difference, you have to make sure your motherboard can support the speed of an ssd anyway,. i have 2 vertex 3 in raid 0 and had to change motherboards to be able to get the full speeds from the drives.

Jan 27, 12 at 4:12am
Iceguy2003

If your laptop and PC support 1Gbit Ethernet, you can transfer pretty fast. I transferred around 250GB yesterday of all kinds of games and other files from my PC to a laptop and was transferring at up to 120mb/s, which is right around my max read speed anyways, using Ethernet and a cable to support 1Gbit speeds.

Jan 27, 12 at 3:30am
Fury

I think we may just be able to back it up using my laptop, then format it. Probably better that way even if it takes a while to transfer files, and I'm not sure about the whole deleting Windows files manually thing.

I have another question though. Could I make a 60GB partition on the HDD, and do a RAID 0 with that and a 60GB SSD? Would the performance actually be boosted, even though the HDD is slower?

Jan 25, 12 at 11:42am
Randome

Fury

1: Go to the old drive and find all your files. They're somewhere inside the widows file directory. Like Desktop, or My Documents.
2: Move all your files out of any windows system folders, so that they would be on the drive, completely separately of any old system files and folders.
3: Delete all the old windows files and folders.

Jan 25, 12 at 7:36am
hefty

first off, you just manually delete the windows folder in the old HDD. you should be allowed to do this as long as none of the files are in use, and since youll have a new windows install on the SDD / RAID0 HDDs, the old files should not be in use.

on the first attempt, it may not allow you to delete all the old windows files, might be left with ~20mb or something. or maybe itll allow you to delete them all, cant remember, i havent done it in so long. point is, if youre left with some files you cant figure out how to delete - and it shouldnt be much - you can always compress the folder via windows to have it leave an even smaller footprint in your HDD while you figure out how to properly kill them.

then theres all the files your old windows partition threw around. you know, user files - downloads saved by default under 'my documents' - and the like. for these youll have to manually hunt around the HDD and delete them. isnt too hard or time consuming.

then theres other crap like the registry. even if you have the old windows folder totally deleted, when you go to boot windows a window will pop up identifying multiple OSes, asking you which to choose to boot. cant quite remember how to get around that, but i know you can access some settings via msconfig under 'boot' to delete some info and make booting faster. google is probably your friend here.

if im making this sound too complicated or messy, it really isnt. just some good old fashioned manual searching and deletion is what youll have to do. even if youre lazy and dont come close to deleting everything, youll still gain the vast amount of GBs back.

and of course, you can always straight up format the drive. maybe copy literally everything but the windows folder to a cloud / online storage place (maybe you can find a trial offer?), format, and recopy.

anyway, go for it! hope any of this helps.

Jan 25, 12 at 5:15am
Fury

quote ashantiqua
if you install windows on any new HDD or SSD, yes you can access all the files from your old HDD after booting from the new drive. and yes, you can delete windows on the old drive to clear up space.
How do you get rid of Windows on the old drive? I know you can just reformat it, but is there a way to do it without deleting the other files? Also assuming moving those files over to a third drive temporarily wasn't an option.

Jan 25, 12 at 3:49am
ashantiqua

^oops misread your OP a bit regarding RAID0.

RAID0 would be the most economical solution regarding capacity, but a SSD would trump it in raw performance, esp for everyday use due to their super low access time.

both have a bit of reliability concerns though as you probably know. if one drive fails in RAID0, its near impossible to recover the data people say. then SSDs dont have the best reliability figures.

both, in practical terms, can be called reliable. id just be sure to back up any very important files to something external.

Jan 25, 12 at 3:42am
ashantiqua

if you install windows on any new HDD or SSD, yes you can access all the files from your old HDD after booting from the new drive. and yes, you can delete windows on the old drive to clear up space.

not sure where RAID fits in with any of this though. RAID is not needed to simply have two data drives (SSD and HDD in your case).

Jan 25, 12 at 1:25am
Fury

Okay, I currently have a drive with Windows already on it, as well as a bunch of files I want to keep. Say I buy an SSD and install Windows on that. Will the SSD be able to see the files on the other HDD even though it also has Windows on it? Also, is there anyway to "delete" Windows on the HDD to free up space, while keeping the other files?

I was thinking of either doing that or a RAID 0 for my friend's PC. When he told me he needed more space, I was telling him how he could speed it up and still maintain all the space with RAID. I figured reinstalling Windows on an SSD instead could be a better option though, because I don't think he needs that much more space, plus it would speed up boot times and OS files. What do you guys think?