Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Windows 7 doesn't recognize a hard drive [SOLVED] » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 24, 12 at 12:32pmRandome

I installed windows into an SSD. The old hard drive is now in RAID 1 with a new identical one. But windows doesn't recognize it. BIOS shows that everything is O.K. so WTF?

There doesn't appear to be any solutions on the internet so far.

I've read that his has something to do with formatting the disk. What do I do? Do I really have to get the disk formatted in another computer?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 01, 14 at 4:00pm
Iscariot

probably a lot of reasons, but the most obvious being that windows 8 didn't exist when this thread was made nearly 3 years ago.

Dec 01, 14 at 7:35am
bethxb

why not useing windows 8

Nov 30, 14 at 6:53pm
Iscariot

one of the most common questions when new drives get installed into windows. I've encountered it twice and I forget the steps involved every time.
thankfully, it's a quick, easy fix once you have it down.

Nov 30, 14 at 12:40pm
Jon Sooy

Thank You!

Mar 09, 14 at 12:44pm
Bugatti

Finally, solved problem of Seagate Backup Plus external hard drive not being recognized by windows. Hours on the phone with Dell did not resolve, but this post completely solved the issue. THANK YOU!
Computer Mgmt (rt click "computer" select "manage")
Storage - Disk Mgmt
Click on box at bottom showing the new external drive
Action - all tasks - assign drive letter!

Jan 04, 14 at 5:34pm
Sam IAm

That was happening to me too. Yee haw!

Aug 16, 13 at 1:37am
Alpha

Ren of Heavens! you've done it again! check out how many views this thread has!!

Aug 05, 13 at 7:55pm
BunchMD

I know this has already been marked as [SOLVED] but I thought I'd post my solution here so I don't clog up the forum.

All I had to do was go into the Device Manager and go to Disk Management. The unrecognized drive was listed but didn't have anything in the "name spot," so I right clicked and went to "All Tasks" and proceeded to click on "Assign a Letter and Path" or something similar. After assigning it a path letter the computer saw it and all the files still on it from my old build.

Hopes this can help someone!

Cheers!

Aug 02, 13 at 5:33pm
Another Satisfied Cu

Thank you. I had two hard drives when I did the upgrade from XP to Windows 7. The drive that I install windows on was fine, but it didn't recognize the other Hard Drive. I was able to fix it as you suggested by going into computer managment and assigning a letter to it. Thanks for your help.

Apr 04, 13 at 12:13pm
Bretwalda

Thank you it solved my problem, too. Hats off sir!