Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » Music Forum 'Weekly Recommendation' Thread » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Jan 11, 12 at 2:01pmEricF

MUSIC FORUM 'WEEKLY RECOMMENDATION' THREAD

THE GIST
    The idea was sprung up by Shattered Silence recently. Basically, this thread will coincide with the featured artist thread and is here to keep members up to date on artists/bands that are, not necessarily unknown by all, but certainly not ones that you may be too familiar with.

Each week, one member will recommend an artist, giving you a brief background of their history and discography, along with recommendations. We encourage all members to participate if they can, and give each recommendation a reasonable listening to. Who knows? You may even find a gem or two. And the recommendations may be the greatest bands you never heard of. After the first week is done, another candidate will be chosen to recommend an artist and it'll continue from there.

RULES
  • Each month, 4 members will be selected by myself and Mocking Alvin to choose their weekly recommended artist. Alternatively, if you wish to participate and select an artist yourself, you can PM one of us two and we'll decide whether to choose you as our next member selecting a recommended artist.
  • A recommended band/artist may already have a thread in the forum, but only artists with threads that have less than 2 pages of discussion are deemed eligible for recommendation. We also suggest that you don't choose an artist that is already widely known by the forum's members if, by some chance, they don't already have a thread in the forum.
  • Your recommendation doesn't necessarily have to be a new band/artist. They can be around 10 or so years even, as long as they're not very well-known.
  • In order to keep the thread interesting, we've decided that a certain genre/style of music cannot be selected continuously, eg. if I select a post-hardcore band one week, I don't expect the next member to select another band that could fall under the same genre. If need be, we'll mix it around so that genres aren't repetitive.
  • Be sure to choose carefully who you recommend: "I recently checked out this band and they're pretty decent, give them a listen" is not what we're looking for.
  • Each recommended artist post requires the default format given below.
  • While it's impossible for us to make a compulsory listen to each recommendation, we encourage that you try and give a bit of time to this thread. It's got the potential to be successful, but it's totally down to the enthusiasm of the forum members.

HISTORY

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Nov 18, 13 at 11:55am
EvilTediz597

WEEK 39
Member: EvilTediz597

I AM THE WORLD TRADE CENTER

I Am the World Trade Center is an electronic band from Athens, Georgia, comprising Amy Dykes and Dan Geller. They have had their name since 1999, and are influenced by bands such as The Faint, Ladytron and New Order.

Currently, Amy’s moved to the West coast to finish her P.h.D and enjoy married life, while Dan’s still in Athens. The future of the band has been left somewhat ambiguous.

- last.fm

Discography

• Out of the Loop (2001)
  • The Tight Connection (2002)
  • The Cover Up (2004)

The first band I ever saw on last fm (which I don't really use, by the way) was I Am the World Trade Center. They're somewhat underground, unless you take into account their controversy. They were a New York based band in their early years and released their first album a few months before the September 11th event, and the 11th track on that album was titled "September". Spookiness aside, they're an electronic synth pop band. For the longest time and throughout the lifespan of MSN Messenger, I had a very short sample of 'Me to Be' as the sound that would play when someone sent me a message. Future Sightings is a great track. I thought I'd recommend them just for nostalgia's sake.

• Nov 4, 13 at 5:47pm
    EvilTediz597

WEEK 38

SOUL COUGHING

Soul Coughing was a New York-based alternative rock band. The band found modest mainstream success during the mid-to-late 90’s. Soul Coughing developed a devout fanbase and have garnered largely positive response from critics. Steve Huey describes the band as “one of the most unique cult bands of the ’90s … driven by frontman M. Doughty’s stream-of-consciousness poetry, Soul Coughing’s sound was a willfully idiosyncratic mix of improvisational jazz grooves, oddball samples, hip-hop, electronics, and noisy experimentalism (described by Doughty as ‘deep slacker jazz’).
    - last.fm

Discography

• Ruby Vroom (1994)
  • Irresistible Bliss (1996)
  • El Oso (1998)

If anyone watched Cartoon Network back in the day (I didn't), then you probably heard a couple of their songs during commercial breaks. They were a weirdy funky jazzy hip-hoppy fusiony experimentally indie rock band.

• Oct 22, 13 at 10:16am
    EvilTediz597

WEEK 37

AKIRA YAMAOKA

AKIRA YAMAOKA (山岡晃, Yamaoka Akira, born on February 6, 1968 in Niigata, Japan) has composed music for dozens of Konami video games. Yamaoka attended Tokyo Art College, where he studied product design and interior. He joined Konami on September 21, 1993, after previously being a freelance music composer.

He is best known for his work on the Silent Hill series for which he composed all the music and sound effects in all seven current games (excluding Silent Hill Play Novel for Game Boy Advance). Some of the music from the first four games was also remixed and used in the Silent Hill movie. He also played a doubly important role as producer of the third and fourth Silent Hill games (which were available for PlayStation 2/PC and PlayStation 2/Xbox/PC). His music from Silent Hill 2 was performed live in 2005 at the third Symphonic Game Music Concert in Leipzig, Germany and at the world-premiere of PLAY! A Video Game Symphony Live! on May 27, 2006 in Chicago, Illinois, where Yamaoka himself accompanied the orchestra with an electric guitar. As well, Yamaoka actively composes music for Konami’s Bemani line of games, particularly, the Beatmania IIDX series.

His first original, non-soundtrack album, iFUTURELIST, was released in January 2006.

- last.fm

Discography

• Smart Ball (1991)
  • Contra: Hard Corps (1994)
  • Sparkster (1994)
  • Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures 2 (1994)
  • Gradius Deluxe Pack (1996)
  • Ganbare Goemon: Uchū Kaizoku Akogingu (1996)
  • Speed King (1996) (PlayStation version)
  • International Superstar Soccer Pro (1997)
  • Poy Poy (1997)
  • Nagano Winter Olympics '98 (1998)
  • Poy Poy 2 (1998)
  • Kensei: Sacred Fist (1998)
  • International Superstar Soccer Pro 98 (1998)
  • Silent Hill (1999)
  • ISS Pro Evolution (1999)
  • Gradius III and IV (2000)
  • ESPN MLS GameNight (2000)
  • Silent Hill 2 (2001)
  • Contra: Shattered Soldier (2002)
  • Silent Hill 3 (2003)
  • Rumble Roses (2004)
  • Silent Hill 4: The Room (2004)
  • iFuturelist (2006)
  • Silent Hill [Film] (2006)
  • Rumble Roses XX (2006)
  • Silent Hill: Origins (2007)
  • Silent Hill Homecoming (2008)
  • Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (2009)
  • No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (2010)
  • Play For Japan: The Album (2011)
  • Shadows of the Damned (2011)
  • Rebuild of Evangelion: Sound Impact (2011)
  • Snatcher (2011)
  • Sine Mora (2012)
  • Lollipop Chainsaw (2012)
  • Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (2012)
  • Revolución (2012)
  • Black Knight Sword (2012)
  • Killer is Dead (2013)

If you know the Silent Hill soundtracks, you'll know how versatile this guy can be. From ambience and trip-hop to rock and symphony, this guy's quite talented, and I do love the Silent Hill soundtracks. A fair few people can say that while they may not have played the games, they have heard the music and enjoyed it.

• Oct 8, 13 at 10:05am
    EvilTediz597

WEEK 36

The Para-medics

THE PARA-MEDICS have been playing awful weirdo no dance for 5-6 years or since Nnamdi and Dylan were in high school. Brian Baliga played bass from 2008 to 2012. Matthew Frank and Steve Marek played guitar and bass respectively from 2012 until now.
    - facebook

The Para-Medics are a math-rock trio from Lansing, IL. Nnamdi Ogbonnaya plays drums and eats things. Dylan Piskula plays guitar and sleeps a lot. Brian Baliga plays bass and eats in his sleep.
    - swerprecords

Discography

• Patsy Cline Gun Squid (2012)

I forget how I came across these guys. But they're really fun and awesome, and sound great live. They're progressive math-rock.

Sample Songs

• Sep 23, 13 at 12:55pm
    EvilTediz597

WEEK 35

NUMBER GIRL

One of the biggest and most influential bands of the Japanese indie rock scene, Number Girl was a quartet hailing from Fukuoka, Japan. Formed in 1995, they gradually gained a following in their hometown, and soon released their first album, School Girl Bye Bye in 1997. The band was later picked up by Toshiba EMI and released their major label debut, School Girl Distortional Addict. Initially somewhat evocative of the Pixies and Sonic Youth, the band evolved and found themselves creating their own unique mixture of indie rock and traditional Japanese sounds in their subsequent albums, Sappukei and Num-Heavymetallic (both produced by Dave Fridmann.

They disbanded in 2002 when it was announced that bassist Nakao was leaving the band, and the former members moved on to other projects - Mukai and Inazawa formed ZAZEN BOYS. Tabuchi formed toddle shortly after Number Girl’s breakup and joined bloodthirsty butchers as an official member after being a guest guitarist for a number of shows throughout their Kouya Ni Okeru tour in early 2003. Nakao joined SPIRAL CHORD after their original bassist left, and shortly after formed SLOTH LOVE CHUNKS.

- last.fm

Discography

• School Girl Bye Bye (1999)
  • School Girl Distortional Addict (1999)
  • Sappukei (2000)
  • Num-Heavymetallic (2002)

This stuff is alternative, indie, noise, and experimental all mixed together into a rocktail. If you grew tired of the poppy stuff that gets more international recognition out of Japan, then you may appreciate these guys.

• Sep 9, 13 at 7:17am
    EvilTediz597

WEEK 34

Benefit

Benefit - underground rapper. Making his mark with winning the Napster competition, his entry “Power To The People And The Beats”, Benefit, still highly unknown, is a highly talented young MC from Florida.
    He is most famous for his track “Warp to World 6-9” also known as “Super Mario Bros. Freestyle”, in which he raps about Super Mario’s adventure in his video games as a quest to get the Princess’s “goods”.

- last fm

Discography

• BENEFIT (2002)

Back when I was spinning a lot of hip-hop, Benefit was one of the artists I especially appreciated. He was underground, had a great flow and rhyme scheme, was very much DIY, and he did it for fun.

And while writing this recommendation, I hear rumours he may be releasing some new stuff soon, after a decade of silence.

Sample Songs

• Aug 19, 13 at 1:25pm
    EvilTediz597

WEEK 33

Moving Units

The band was formed in 2001 by Chris Hathwell, Blake Miller, and Johan Boegli, when Hathwell's previous band, Festival of Dead Deer, broke up. They released their debut EP, Moving Units, on Three One G in early 2002. Their touring experience includes opening slots for Hot Hot Heat, Pixies, Blur and Nine Inch Nails. Their debut full-length album, Dangerous Dreams, was released on October 12, 2004 by Palm Pictures.

Moving Units released their second studio album, Hexes for Exes in 2007 on Metropolis Records. The first single, "Pink Thoughts", was released through the band's MySpace page. So Sweet released a one-off limited edition 7 inch vinyl single "Crash N Burn Victims" in the UK coupled with a remix of the same track by Felix Cartal in November 2007.

The band released an EP titled Tension War on February 14, 2011. Moving Units chose to self-release the new EP in conjunction with their management firm, Post Modern. Moving Units also played at Coachella 2011 in support of their latest release.

On March 31, 2012, Moving Units annouonced via their Facebook page that Blake Miller had left the band by mutual decision.

In late 2012, Blake Miller had performed shows with the band name "Moving Units" without approval of the original members, causing a mild dispute. The issue being resolved later, the original band members reached an agreement where Miller was given permission to use the band's name "Moving Units" with new members and continue the project under the same moniker.

- wikipedia

Discography

• Moving Units EP (2002)
  • Dangerous Dreams (2004)
  • Hexes for Exes (2007)
  • Tension War EP (2011)

I found out about Moving Units through Three One G's catalogue. For a label commonly associated with hardcore noise from the likes of Blood Brothers and The Locust, this band definitely stood out. Also, can't help but hear the lead singer sound EERILY similar to Bloc Party's Kele Okereke. You've got two bands on opposite sides of the world dabbling in the same genre with similar sounding singers starting up at the same time.

Sample Songs

• Aug 10, 13 at 8:02am
    BANDITO ATTACK

never heard these dudes, intredasting

sounds like what you'd get if you mixed primus, phish, and incubus. the bass drive in the second track in incredibly cool

Aug 5, 13 at 12:29pm
    EvilTediz597

WEEK 32

Nuclear Rabbit

Nuclear Rabbit is a California band, started in Novato. The band’s music has been called metal, but incorporates a variety of other styles, making classification difficult. Known for its unusual sound and lyrics, and bassist Jean Baudin’s 11-string bass, Nuclear Rabbit has a large fan base despite being a perpetually underground and independent band. They are perhaps the most well known underground band in California, having bands like Papa Roach, Alien Ant Farm, and Deftones opening up for them.

Nuclear Rabbit was started in 1989 by bassist Jean Baudin, who was influenced by a variety of music styles, including Fishbone and Bad Brains, and envisioned having a band not bound to any genre. He was soon joined by guitarist Pat Garner and drummer Steve “Stymie” Sigaty. Originally Baudin performed the vocals, but Greg Parrish was eventually asked to step in as vocalist. Nuclear Rabbit incorporates a variety of genres in their music, including metal, funk, ska, hardcore, punk, jazz, East Indian, and Egyptian. Baudin uses a variety of bass techniques, including tapping, slapping and popping. Their music is often characterized by sudden tempo changes and wacky musical stylings.

- last.fm

Discography

• Intestinal Fortitude (1999)
  • More Human (2000)
  • Mutopia (2003)

I thought I saw James Hetfield at the supermarket, but it turned out to be an ordinary table.

Sample Songs

• Jul 22, 13 at 12:38pm
    EvilTediz597

WEEK 31

Cerrone

Cerrone (full name: Jean-Marc Cerrone) is an iconic and influential French European disco drummer, singer and music producer born in Paris. At the age of 12 he started playing drums and listening to Otis Redding’s songs. His passion for music scared his father, who tried to distract him from his obsession. By the end of the 60’s, he was fascinated by, among others, Jimi Hendrix, Carlos Santana, and Blood, Sweat & Tears.

His third album “Supernature”, is considered to be his true masterpiece, having sold over eight million albums worldwide. A departure from the lush orchestration with dizzying electronic instrumentation added to the mix, it was co-written by pop-punk chanteuse Lene Lovich and arranged by Alain Wisniak. The song “Supernature” has a sci-fi theme: it’s about the rebellion of mutant creatures - created by scientists to end starvation among mankind - against the humans. It also featured “Sweeet Drums”, a three minute and ten second drum breakdown.

Following the success of Supernature, Cerrone IV: The Golden Touch, was released to rave reviews and was another U.S. disco chart topper. Driven by “Je Suis Music”, “Look For Love” and the urban slanted “Rocket In The Pocket”, there was a musical maturity on this album, showing his fusion attributes, and foreshadowing his future releases.

- last.fm

Discography

• Love in C Minor (Cerrone I) (1976)
  • Cerrone's Paradise (Cerrone II) (1977)
  • Supernature (Cerrone III) (1977)
  • Cerrone IV: The Golden Touch (1978)
  • Angelina (Cerrone V) (1979)
  • Portrait Of A Modern Man (Cerrone VI) (1980)
  • You Are The One (Cerrone VII) (1980)
  • Back Track (Cerrone VIII) (1982)
  • Your Love Survived (Cerrone IX) (1982)
  • Where Are You Now (Cerrone X) (1983)
  • The Collector (Cerrone XI) (1985)
  • Way In (Cerrone XII) (1989)
  • Dancing Machine (Cerrone XIII)(1990)
  • Dream (Cerrone XIV) (1992)
  • X-Xex (Cerrone XV) (1993)
  • Human Nature (Cerrone XVI) (1994)
  • Hysteria (Cerrone XVIII) (2002)
  • Orange Mécanique – The Score (Cerrone XX) (2006)
  • Celebrate! (Cerrone XXI) (2007)
  • Love Ritual (Cerrone XXII) (2008)

Disco led to house, and having been an avid listener of Daft Punk, my studies into their influences and samples led me to Cerrone's music. His stuff's pretty catchy and heavy on the instrumental side, and his hits get modernized remixes released for the everchanging club climate.

Sample Songs