Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Patriot Pyro SE 120GB & 240GB SSD Review » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 10, 12 at 3:42pm
Shadow of Death

Sexy stuff there. Huge improvement over my OCZ Vertex2 (I got a grand total score of 302 with that). The Sequential Read speeds are crazy eh? Just a BIIIIIIIT more and it would have broken what could be called the fabled 1GB/s speeds >_> Mine were a paltry ~195MB/s.

The 4K test seems it's pretty consistent across all SSDs (including my own) to the point that it seems nearly pointless to perform...Hell, my 4K write speed is listed as beating the Raid0-ed (and even the 240GB SE, sans RAID0).

What I'm really shocked on is how much write speeds have improved over the last several years. It seems pretty recently that one of the big problems with SSDs compared to HDDs is write speed, but it seems like the better SSDs on the market are beating conventional HDDs by a wide margin. My OCZ Vertex2 can't beat my 7200RPM HDD for sequential write speeds however (the read speeds are a good 30% higher though). Totally destroys the 4K write speeds though (about 50MB/s versus 1.2MB/s. Though those numbers seem very wonky to me.).

However, putting aside the obvious $/GB issue with SSDs, isn't one of the big problems with SSDs the total number of writes before they start failing? HDDs have a big advantage there, last I checked?

Not sure about operational time either. Don't HDDs have operational times in the millions of hours?

Jan 10, 12 at 2:31am
leochan

Patriot's lineup of SSDs has the performance bases covered, but with the new Pyro SE series the manufacturer hopes to better bridge the price gap between the Pyro and the Wildfire. The Pyro SE allows Patriot to offer a drive that performs nearly at the same level as the WildFire, but at a lower price point. Find out how much bang for the buck awaits enthusiasts looking to make an upgrade as we test both the 120GB and 240GB versions of these bad boys.