Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies » Are minstrels really no good? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Dec 17, 11 at 3:56pmAccalia Chanteloup

On this forum I hear everybody say that minstrels are no good. I love my minstrel, she's really useful because she has the Heal and Midheal, a decent HP and MP, the Zing spell (which is just so vital), Egg On, Kaswoosh, and does decent damage.

Why aren't they any good?

My current team is Minstrel lvl44, Warrior lvl44, Mage lvl43 (she got killed a couple times so is down on experience, hence the lower level), and Thief lvl44. I don't have a Priest, or a Sage (I'm not even entirely sure how you get sages), but I'm doing fine.

I do suspect I may be over-levelled, which might be why I'm having little trouble, as I missed the Zere Rocks fygg originally, so I sailed over to Wormwood Creek and had been doing sea-training against the really powerful monsters in the far north & far south, because I was stuck and didn't know what to do next... so it was about a month after I beat Swinedimples that I finally worked it out, but by then I was a much higher level...

But anyway, assuming I'm NOT just finding it easy due to over-levelling, I have had a Minstrel, Warrior, Mage and Thief since the start and don't have a problem whatsoever. Everybody says that Minstrels are rubbish and you should change Warriors for Paladins or Gladiators, but I don't have a problem with them at all...

One thing I do have problems with is that my Minstrel, Warrior, and Thief all have plenty of HP, but my Mage has a much smaller HP and a really low defence because there is no decent armour for mages. This means that when I get hit by nasty things, she'll be on a hundred health, I'll think she's got plenty and is safe and hold off healing her, and then she'll die in one hit from the nasty boss. Which isn't good...

Is there any reason I honestly SHOULD change up my Minstrel and Warrior for Priest and Gladiator/Paladin? And won't that just take ages to train them up to lvl40 in a whole different vocation?

All my characters have done training as priests, so the Heal spells say 'at least 30' (anybody else noticed that Heal spell in a non-priest says 'around 30' but on a priest says 'at least 30', and if you train a character as a priest until they get the Heal spell as a priest and then switch them back to original vocation, it still says 'at least 30'?). I honestly don't see the need for a priest... is there any reason I won't have encountered yet that means I do actually need one?

And with paladins - I find my Warrior fine, she has done some training as a paladin so can use Whipping Boy, she protects my team just fine, she has good defence, good HP, equips nice armour, when she hits something it generally decides to lie down and die, etc etc.

Basically, are there any reasons that I SHOULD change up my Minstrel and Warrior, or if I'm doing fine with them, should I keep them? What are the reasons? Is there like, a SuperEvilGalacticBossOfDoom later on in the game who does double damage to minstrels or something weird like that?

- Accalia

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 18, 14 at 11:42am
Death god

To be honest i used to play as a minstrel myself, i found him good troughout the storyline, but after it i started grottos, and my opinion changed. but dont be discouraged by my opinion

Feb 13, 14 at 2:08pm
TommiCG

But, when you want to zing someone it takes ages and it is better to use a ranger/priest/sage for that job

Feb 13, 14 at 2:07pm
TommiCG

Lol I used to have 1 and he was beast and had him 2 lv99. I then levelled him up with a few other vocations so he was a tank!!!!!

Aug 13, 13 at 8:57pm
Matt gvndh cgj vdrh,

minsterials are ok my team is minsterial lvl 99 and paliden lvl 77 the min is no good in the grotos though ¦)

Jul 18, 13 at 10:20am
ll

don't believe the people who say minstrels are no good because they are wrong minstrels are one of the bestvocations yet my tam is minstrel lvl 38 warrior lvl 40 minstrel lvl 39and martial artist lvl 36 and im at boss king godwyn the one that beats aquila so I think minstrels are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 30, 13 at 7:40am
VoxxyKatt

quote Accalia Chanteloup
On this forum I hear everybody say that minstrels are no good. I love my minstrel, she's really useful because she has the Heal and Midheal, a decent HP and MP, the Zing spell (which is just so vital), Egg On, Kaswoosh, and does decent damage.

Why aren't they any good?

I personally think Minstrels are okay during the game, but post-game...
They are pretty useless against the later on content.
I used my minstrel just to test it on a grotto boss.
It quite disappointed me with it's damage.

Also, Egg on isn't a special ability of minstrels.
Egg on is learnt by the hero, it's an ability that Patty teaches you. Meaning, you could've still gotten that ability even as a warrior or a different class.

Heal and midheal are okay but you have the priest and sage with their greater heals, higher mp, etc.
Zing is also rivalled with it's better counterpart, kazing (100% chance to revive) which is learnt by sages.
There's full heal, omniheal, multiheal, and trust me, multiheal saves your butt a lot. (Combine it with the sage's scroll twocus pocus and you basically have an omniheal right there. But, disruptive wave.. WHYYY!)

The damage is 'decent' as you say, but in order to defeat the legacy bosses later on, you will need gladiators who do massive damage (especially with the combo of uber falcon blade + falcon slash.) The 'decent damage' you speak of isn't going to help much with higher leveled legacy bosses.

Though, the minstrels are actually better than luminaries. I will say that.

quote KAHL
Aren't they the WELL ROUNDED characters?
They learn Healing spells, attack spells, and their attack is good.
(Better than a mage, at least.)
PERSONALLY, Armamentalists are not one of my favorite Classes.
Minstrel - Luminary (Reason being, Luminaries are the exact same thing, but with better spells and abilities. [my opinion])
That is your opinion, but I beg to differ at certain statements.
-First off, yes, it's like a jack of all trades. But, again, the are gladiators, mages, sages, priests etc meant for greater damaging, supporting and spells purposes.
-Mages have terrible damage, because they are meant for casting spells, NOT attacking.
-I respect your opinion on armamentalists, but they have a better damage output (at least in my eyes).
They play a key role in support AND attack as well (though not as strong as a gladiator and their support is quite different). Their fources are one of the vital things needed to defeat legacy bosses, and so forth.
–Luminaries, aren't that great. They look okay to you but they are actually (probably) the worst class in the game. They are weak against legacy bosses, not doing that much damage and easily knocked out.
So far, the most common classes used during post-game are: Gladiators, Sages, Priests, Armamentalists, Mages, Paladins.
Gladiators for the damage, sages for support (magic burst as well), priests for support also, armamentalists for fource though they can easily be swapped for a sage instead, mages for magic, and paladins are paladins.

What I'm basically saying: Minstrels do okay during the game, but they are.. well, horrible when it comes to the legacy bosses. After I first saw it's performance against baramos I was disappointed and immediately revocated.
It's coup de grace is all right, but you have the paladin's coupe de grace and combine it with forbearance. That combo is still OP as heck.

(sorry, long post. Lol.)

Jun 26, 13 at 4:46pm
peen muncher

I love c0ck and preen in my buuuut:)

Apr 04, 13 at 11:13am
Daylight

Minstrels stink, become a sage instead. They have a multi, moreheal, multiheal, and KAZING

Mar 31, 13 at 6:09am
SOME RANDOM GUY

To be honest ithink minstrels are rubbish, you gain much better classes when you progress through the game anyway. I changed my minstrel into a warrior that is now lvl 72 and is over 3x as powerfull (I think...). With my warrior i can kill barzmos in merely a few hits using frost force, feel the burn and psyche up, with a few turn i simply falcon slash with uber falcon blade and around 4100 damage caused in total in that one turn, i experimented with my minstrel also lvl 72 and did the same process, except the damage was only around 500-600 damage a turn. Don't say anything bad about my comment, its really just an opinion.

Dec 11, 12 at 3:22pm
babycat440

I love my minstrel!!! I wouldn't have midheal w/out her.