Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword » The Game-Breaking Glitch (mild spoilers) (Important!) » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for a game thread, feel free to drop them in here!
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Wooden Shield Beedle Boomerang Bow and Arrow Cucco Cat Clawshot Dark Triforce Deku Shield Power Din Ezlo Courage Farore Forest Minish Defeated Link Hero Bow Hookshot Blue Rupee Link Link Master Sword Minish Link Navi Wisdom Nayru Pendant of Courage Pendant of Power Pendant of Wisdom Zelda Scattershot Spinner Slingshot Triforce Triforce Link Vaati Windwaker Master Sword Zelda Zill

hideOriginal Post

Dec 03, 11 at 5:48amMystic Aurora

As some may already know, Zelda: Skyward Sword has a glitch in it that renders the game unbeatable. This glitch occurs after completing the Fire Sanctuary, the seventh dungeon. What happens is that, at some point, players are unable to trigger the next sequence of events necessary to get the third piece of the Song of the Hero. This puts the game progression in a sort of "stasis". You can still explore the surface and the air, and pursue quests, but you cannot advance the story.

This glitch is caused by talking to Golo the Goron in the Lanayru Mines after saving Lanayru, the Thunder Dragon. Talking to Golo in the Lanayru Caves is supposedly AOK. There are two ways to avoid this glitch:

1. Save Lanayru for last, so you don't have to worry about talking to Golo by accident, or...
2. Rescue Lanayru, exit via the Bird Statue, and complete Faron's and Eldin's quests before talking to Golo again.

This is especially important information for FAQ writers. If at all possible, lead gamers to complete Faron and Eldin before Lanayru, otherwise you'll have some angry readers.

2011-12-18 Update: This Nintendo Support page indicates that they plan on releasing a program that will patch the save files that are affected by this glitch. Naturally this is only an interim fix; they will likely release an updated version of the game in the future that obsoletes the patch program. It's assumed they will update the previously linked page when the program is ready.

Softmodded Method
If you have a softmodded Wii and don't feel like waiting for Nintendo to roll out their save file patcher, you can download a small GCT file to use with Gecko OS (a GameShark-like application) and disable the glitch. Here's what you do:

NOTE: These instructions assume that you already have a softmodded Wii and Gecko OS. To use this method, you must either have the original game or installed a modchip in your Wii. Secondary instructions are available after the Gecko instructions.

1. Download the appropriate GCT file for your region: NTSC-U | NTSC-J | PAL | NTSC-K

If those links no longer work, you can use this code and use a GCT generator. The GCT should be named after the internal name for Skyward Sword (SOUE01 for NTSC-U, SOUA01 for PAL, SOUJ01 for NTSC-J, and SOUK01 for NTSC-K)

Game Breaking Bug Glitch Fixv.2 [Thomas83Lin]
C0000000 00000005
3D808095 896C5D52
2C0B003F 40810014
556BE006 556B273E
396B0011 996C5D52
4E800020 00000000

2. Put the GCT file in the "codes" directory on your SD card. If your SD card is drive E (in Windows), then it needs to go in E:\codes\ . GNU/Linux users should be familiar enough with their mountpoints that it's obvious what to do. I set my SD card to mount at /media/sd, so my GCT file is in /media/sd/codes/.

3. Put the SD card back in the Wii. Start the Homebrew Channel.

4. Start Gecko OS, and load the game. Be sure that it says "SD Codes found. Applying"

5. ???

6. Profit!!

-----

For more information on softmodding your Wii, go to WiiBrew.
WARNING: Softmodding your Wii voids your warranty and, if done improperly, will render it useless. Such occurences are rare, but are still worth mentioning. I nor anyone else will be held responsible if you attempt to softmod your Wii and fail.

For another method, see this post by Duncan Idaho. He explains it better than I do since I'm not familiar with neogamma or letterbomb.

Special thanks to Duncan Idaho for informing us about these alternatives, and Thomas83Lin and other hackers for creating the workaround.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 13, 13 at 4:30am
Jack the Cat

The other week I went onto the Nintendo downloads (sorry can't remember which menu option it is on the screen) and saw there was a 'Save' download for Zelda. Not hearing anything about that there had been any issues (haven't been on forum in a while & don't read gaming mags - sorry) I went ahead and downloaded it. I vaguely remembering the T&C stating it wasn't a free version of the game but something to do with the save file. But I admit I didn't read it all. Perhaps I should have!! Haven't as yet played the game to see what effect, if any, it has had.

Maybe someone else has used this free download and can report back....

Jun 16, 12 at 7:07am
cmd17

Never thought i would see you outside of the Kid Icarus forums Symphonic

Mar 07, 12 at 3:56pm
Symphonic Abyss

NiceGaia - You're at the wrong part. The part AFTER where you are is what it's talking about.

Mar 07, 12 at 10:47am
NiceGaia

I'm really confused about this glitch. The solution says to "save Lanayru for last," but I don't know how to do that. After reaching the Isle of Songs, the plot sequence automatically set up me to go to Faron. After I received Farore's sacred flame and returned to the Isle of Songs, it set me up to go to Lanayru. I tried going to Eldin instead, but dowsing for the Trial Gate won't work there and nothing seems to happen. What am I doing wrong?

Dec 22, 11 at 3:51pm
Duncan Idaho

quote Mystic Aurora
I tested the code and spoke to Golo, then flew to Sealed Grounds. The battle triggered, just like it should have. That tells me that the code sets a flag in RAM constantly, so the glitch can never occur. If my understanding is correct, then the Gecko code is _not_ like Nintendo's future save file patch. The save file patch can probably be reversed simply by talking to Golo again, while the GCT prevents Golo from setting flags, and (I assume) the riivolution patch patches the game itself and makes it impossible to happen period. Still, good stuff. I'm linking to it in the first post with appropriate warnings. Thanks again Duncan Idaho
No problem man, also add to the OP this other link:

SOUK01 (NTSC-K file with the fix)

Also your post is lacking. gecko OS is only for those with original games OR with a modchip. neogamma is for those with no modchip.

Instructions for negoamma:

1) Boot neogamma from the HBC*

2) Go trough the options until you find one that allows you to modify the .dol file, input it so it seeks the main.dol from the DVD (the game will not boot unless you have this)

3) Scroll trough the options until you see Ocarina, set it on , set the hook type to VBI.

4) Select boot game on DVD.

5) Start the game.

6*) If you have letterbomb you dont need to hack your wii completley, all you need is to have a clean SD card and simply install both letterbomb and neogamma, check your messages and boot letterbomb, it should boot neogamma.

Dec 22, 11 at 3:38am
Mystic Aurora

I tested the code and spoke to Golo, then flew to Sealed Grounds. The battle triggered, just like it should have. That tells me that the code sets a flag in RAM constantly, so the glitch can never occur. If my understanding is correct, then the Gecko code is _not_ like Nintendo's future save file patch. The save file patch can probably be reversed simply by talking to Golo again, while the GCT prevents Golo from setting flags, and (I assume) the riivolution patch patches the game itself and makes it impossible to happen period. Still, good stuff. I'm linking to it in the first post with appropriate warnings. Thanks again Duncan Idaho

Dec 21, 11 at 11:23pm
Duncan Idaho

Mystic Aurora i am seeking the gamefaqs riivolution patch, which fixes completley the glitch, what the code does is the same thing that the app that nintendo is developing, the patch however fixes completley the glitch for what i've read on the boards!.

I am not sure if you can re trigger the bug, but i know it fixes the saves that are suffering from it, and i am happy too since i am short of two hours before i get onto the quest of the hero song (i am about to face the thunderhead boss, from there it's the quest, and i found ghirahim 2 annoying i really dunno how i beat his first phase).

Also please notify me! i dint saw your reply until it was night time here.

Dec 21, 11 at 11:09pm
Mystic Aurora

Sure enough: the code works! I went to the Sealed Grounds and it triggered the Imprisoned 3 fight. (For the record, I had rescued Lanayru and apparently spoken to Golo and triggered the glitch)

Thomas83Lin gets a huge thanks, at least from me!

Dec 21, 11 at 10:30pm
Mystic Aurora

Nintendo didn't develop or publish either of those games. Many people wrongfully assume that if it appears on a company's platform that they are responsible for every game. That's not practical.

Gamers should have spoken to Ubisoft and Acquire, respectively, about the issues with those games. Nintendo's not responsible for that at all. They did develop TP, SS, and FERD though.

Thanks a lot for the code to bypass the glitch! I'm not sure if we're allowed to link to that stuff in an "official" capacity, so I don't know if it's okay to put in the first post. I'll check with a mod.

Quick question about the code fix: Does this work for files that have already been affected by the glitch? If so, win.

Dec 20, 11 at 4:16pm
Duncan Idaho

Mystic Aurora,Dark Arcanine POP:TT, Tenchu:SA and a few other on wii have some glitches that make them quite idfficuolt to impossible to play, ninti dint launch a v2 of the games with the glitches fixed (POP:TT has a glitch were if you push a crate on a certain way it will fall of the building and wont allow you to progress, tenchu has serious problems with the sword synch, since the game has a terrible issue that it displays the direction of blocking after the action is done, POP:WW never got a v2 release and has tons of glitches), i said it's gold since they are not launching a second version to fix the glitches, but rather using a software to do the job, while for the life time of the wii, the policy has been "no DLC, no patching", i admit however i should have used a better selection of words.

And on the same vein the folks of Wiird the maker of gecko OS and wiird and gecko USB have made a code for fixing the glitch, so those who are suffering from it, simply softmod your wii, download accio hacks and neogamma, put them on your apps folder, launch accio hacks, download your region of TLOZ:SS codes, scroll down until you see glitch fixer code or something similar, then save the .gct file and launch your neogamma backup launcher, go onto the many options and set it up so that it seeks the main.dol of the game, afterwards do click on launch game on DVD it will laod the code, and it's fixed!

NTSC link

Game Breaking Bug Glitch Fixv.2 [Thomas83Lin]
C0000000 00000005
3D808095 896C5D52
2C0B003F 40810014
556BE006 556B273E
396B0011 996C5D52
4E800020 00000000
*Only Activate if experiencing the hero of song glitch*
*Dolphin is not compatible with this code*

GCT CREATOR

SOUEO1 (NTSC File with the fix)

SOUA01 (PAL File with the fix

SOUJ01 (NTSC-J File with the fix

I wont post the pal or NTSC-J liks, since it's not worth it thansk to the above code being universal.