Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » AMD Not Competing with Intel Anymore, Goes Mobile » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.

hideOriginal Post

Nov 29, 11 at 9:27pmUnforgiven

Source
In a move than could very well be interpreted as exchanging one problem for another, Advanced Micro Devices has decided to stop focusing so much on the PC business and get its act closer together on the mobile front.

Whether because of this or something else, it was reported that Advanced Micro Devices has chosen to distance itself from its competition with Intel.

That is to say, it will focus less on processors for PCs and pay more attention to the mobile market.

AMD's official statement is:
AMD is a leader in x86 microprocessor design, and we remain committed to the x86 market. Our strategy is to accelerate our growth by taking advantage of our design capabilities to deliver a breadth of products that best align with broader industry shifts toward low power, emerging markets and the cloud.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 10, 11 at 1:35pm
necs

In reality though, I think their video cards were using architecture pioneered by their processors .

Nov 30, 11 at 8:08pm
ashantiqua

well, games dont require that much CPU power, AMD CPUs are more than enough for games, theyre generally much much cheaper than intels, therefore, for me, its AMD.

plus ive been able to keep the same mobo for years and multiple CPUs.

AMD doesnt have the speed crown? who cares. anyone who buys a $1k CPU is dumb, esp. with all these console ports running amok.

only thing that sucks is the lack of enthusiast-grade competition.

Nov 30, 11 at 6:29pm
VeGiTAX2

That was a good laugh. Mercury News trying to get a leap on the tech media and doing a sensationalist spread instead. Even if AMD plans to acquire ARM licenses they can't just announce that to clear up things right now without causing chaos to their own stock by announcing early and any product being launched too far off from that point.

Enjoying the AMD workers on Twitter shaking their heads at the news piece though, that's one way for the author to ensure any industry reps don't talk to them (mercury news author) again. If it was a longer disclosure about the company and not a spin on 3 sentences or so I might lend more credibility to the claim.

As for them not fighting at the high end, they haven't aimed there for quite a while, Hector was a wall for much of the development of the products launching today. It was a miracle they were able to have something like Phenom II under his reign actually.

Nov 30, 11 at 3:26pm
Supernova1332

quote bob8294
Randome
I sure hope they don't kill off their video cards, even though I have both a ATI and a Nvidia GPU, I'm a Radeon fanboi at heart, although the Nvidia lineup has had some pretty good models compared to the ATI offerings that they were going up against. In reality though, I think their video cards were using architecture pioneered by their processors.
Nope, the cpu and gpu architecture are entirely different and execute code almost entirely differently as the CPU's are based on x86 instruction set and up until the 7900 series uses VLIW instruction set. The new graphics architecture keeps the old ALU's (Stream processors) in tact but groups them differently and runs a RISC MIMD instruction set VS the old VLIW SIMD.

Basically the gpu's are going from an old, inefficient, and inflexible style of code to a somewhat simplified and more flexible way.

RISC basically cuts out all of the old x86 and other ISA's 'fat' that it can. RISC is used by all ARM processors, IBM's Power line of chips, Sun Microsystems (Now owned by Oracle) SPARC supercomputer chips, and the Super H by Hitachi that was in the sega dreamcast. Plenty more but those are the most notable.

Back on topic:
With Rory Read at the helm and many of the major designers (from both the cpu and gpu side) gone AMD will still try to compete in the x86 market but never in the high end for the foreseeable future.

The marketing team is essentially gone, almost everyone was cut. Not that they really had much of a marketing team to begin with. The head people who basically created the 4xxx series designs (And the subsequent 5xxx and 6xxx evolutions) and eyefinity are gone. The heads of the trinity team are gone and they havent even launched yet! The Brazos/Ontario/Zacate successor was knifed but the successor to those is still on. Also the last VP's from when AMD started back in the late 60's. The last one may not necessarily be a bad thing but it shows that AMD is indeed changing its course rather drastically.

Nov 30, 11 at 1:47pm
Iceguy2003

AMD's last days of equality came from the AthlonXP and 64 line up when they only had to compete with P4's. They haven't had a chance, since. Sad, I always held a spot in my heart for AMD.

Nov 30, 11 at 1:13am
Chaosfire

Amd better not stop making graphics cards. I like the feeling of having a choice.

Nov 29, 11 at 11:15pm
Unforgiven

Randome, AMD never tried to compete with Intel in the enthusiast department. AMD's 'achievable' goal was to have a CPU on par with the 2500K/2600K. The i7 3960X is on a league of its own but it's targeted to a very specific target group due to its price, it has nothing to do with AMD's decision.

Nov 29, 11 at 11:10pm
bob8294

Randome
I sure hope they don't kill off their video cards, even though I have both a ATI and a Nvidia GPU, I'm a Radeon fanboi at heart, although the Nvidia lineup has had some pretty good models compared to the ATI offerings that they were going up against. In reality though, I think their video cards were using architecture pioneered by their processors(I don't actually know this for a fact, it's just speculation based on the fact that their GPU's change manufacturing processes at around the same time their CPU's change manufacturing processes), so their video cards might be on the downward spiral as well. Too bad.

Nov 29, 11 at 10:57pm
Randome

This makes some sense, after they were totally beaten by Intel, in extreme CPU's.

AMD hyped up their "Bulldozer" and it turned out to be average. And now Intel released the "i7 3960X" and totally blew everybody away.

AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer CPU Review

Intel Core i7 3960X Sandy Bridge-E Review

Comparison: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=443

They had better not get out of the video card business.

Nov 29, 11 at 9:42pm
bob8294

Considering certain companies are powering their mobile products with the Intel Atom, AMD can't really get around them.