Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Web Coding » Is Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) an important part of PHP web development? » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Aug 08, 12 at 12:24am
George B

You're not missing anything important. Stick to what you know. The shortest route is the one best known. With that said, OOP is a great concept to use when developing console games, since all objects stay alive during the life of the program. In web development, objects are created and completely destroyed on each page load. Some just prefer to use OOP because they don't know how to program procedurally.

From my 10+ years of experience in web development, I still have to see a better written OOP PHP website than what I've seen here for example: http://okmaya.com

If procedural was used for decades in web development, why fix something that's not broken?

Just because something is cool and popular, doesn't mean it's the right thing later down the road. Just look at how smoking turned out.

Nov 21, 11 at 4:05am
Poet Of The Fall

OOP is a a completely critical concept, specially when it comes to your design.
Aurora covered the most important points. OOP is perfect for modularization and help your code make more sense. It also makes abstraction easier and like said before, if your program grows too much it will be a pain to maintain if you don't use OOP.

This does not only apply to PHP: It applies to every language that offers OOP features but is not necessarily fully OOP oriented.

Nov 21, 11 at 1:38am
Aurora

Yes. It's a crucial part of programming in any object-oriented programming language — and PHP is one.
  • If you want people to be able to read, reuse, and improve your code easily, OOP is a must.
  • If you want to be able to use libraries and edit open source programs from the internet, OOP is a must.
  • If you attempt to write any serious web application without using any OOP features, people will laugh at you, your programs will be disorganized, and you'll struggle to maintain it as your code base grows.

Nov 20, 11 at 9:29pm
BeZ

I had to use OOP in one PHP module at Uni, and I haven't used it since, I'm sure it has its uses if your creating things like libraries but for general development I've never felt the need to use it.

Nov 20, 11 at 7:58pm
smithswood

Sup guys, I'm reading through a book on PHP to re-affirm the stuff I've already learned and pick up the more complex stuff.

I've just finished a chapter on OOP and I think I sort of understand how it works, but I was thinking; is OOP really an important part of PHP web development? I just don't see why you wouldn't just create functions and include-files that do the same job.

Am I missing something very important here, or is it really just the same thing?

TIA;

Smiths
=]