Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » Coheed And Cambria [V] » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Nov 15, 11 at 1:04pmWilhelm Ryan

Current Band Members
Claudio Sanchez - Lead vocals, guitar (1995-present)
Travis Stever - Backing vocals, guitar (1995-present)
Josh Eppard - Drums (2000-2006, 2012-present)
Zach Cooper - Bass (2012-present)

Former Members

Michael Todd - Backing vocals, bass guitar (1996-2006, 2007-2011)
Chris Pennie - Drums (2007-2011)
Nate Kelley - Drums (1995-2000)
Jon Carleo - Bass (1995-1996)

Touring Members
Wes Styles - Keyboards (2007-present), bass guitar (2011-present)

quote wikipedia
Coheed and Cambria is an American progressive rock band from Nyack, New York. Formed in 1995, the group incorporates aspects of progressive rock, punk rock, metal and post-hardcore.[1][2]

All of Coheed and Cambria's albums are concept albums that reveal a science fiction storyline called The Amory Wars, a story written by lead singer Claudio Sanchez, which has been transcribed into a series of comic books,[3] as well as a full length novel. The band has released five studio albums, three live albums, and several special-edition releases. In 2008, the band held a four-day concert series, Neverender, during which they played their first four studio albums in succession. Their fifth studio album, Year of the Black Rainbow, which is a prequel to the series, was released on April 13, 2010.

Sanchez has several times stated he is envious of his father's era of music, and that the band is influenced by groups of that era, such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Police, Misfits, Queen, and Thin Lizzy. Apart from these roots in classic rock, Sanchez also acknowledges an eclectic array of influences, including post-hardcore group At the Drive-In, and heavy metal pioneers Iron Maiden.[12][56][57] Contrary to rumors, bassist Michael Todd said the band was not influenced by Saga and that he had never heard of that group.[58] Many draw similarities between Rush and Coheed and Cambria,[59][60] but Josh Eppard stated in an interview that neither he nor the other band members were Rush fans or influenced by Rush. They began listening to Rush after their second album.[60] Influences of punk rock have been cited as well, especially the Misfits and Bad Brains. Dr. Know of Bad Brains plays a guitar solo on the track "Time Consumer" from Second Stage Turbine Blade. Sanchez and Stever's early band Toxic Parents drew many similarities from Jane's Addiction and Misfits.[61] Sanchez has stated that The Amory Wars, the story on which Coheed and Cambria base its lyrics, has similarities to other stories, especially to the Star Wars trilogy. For example, when the character Coheed returns home to his wife Cambria, she says, "Somehow I’ve always known," a line that Princess Leia said to Luke Skywalker in Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.[62][63]

The band's style is described as progressive rock by Equal Vision,[64] Spin,[65] and Allmusic.[66][67][68][69][70] Songs such as "Blood Red Summer" and "Three Evils (Embodied in Love and Shadow)" have been noted in many reviews of the band to also contain several elements of pop, as exemplified by one review by Sputnikmusic, which says "Coheed and Cambria manage to bring new life to a dying genre, and mix up the standard pop-punk scheme with creative and original riffs."[71] The band has also been described as new prog.[72]
Discography

The Second Stage Turbine Blade
Release Date: February 5th, 2002
Tracklisting:
1. Second Stage Turbine Blade
2. Time Consumer
3. Devil in Jersey City
4. Everything Evil
5. Delirium Trigger
6. Hearshot Kid Disaster
7. 33
8. Junesong Provision
9. Neverender
10. Godsend Conspirator
11. Elf Tower, New Mexico *bonus
12. Junesong Provision [acoustic demo] *bonus
13. Everything Evil [demo] *bonus

In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
Release Date: October 8th, 2003
Tracklisting:
1. The Ring in Return
2. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
3. Cuts Marked in the March of Men
4. Three Evils (Embodied in Love and Shadow)
5. The Crowing
6. Blood Red Summer
7. The Camper Velourium I: Faint Of Hearts
8. The Camper Velourium II: Al The Killer
9. The Camper Velourium III: Backend Of Forever
10. A Favor House Atlantic
11. The Light & The Glass
12. 21:13

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness
Release Date: September 20th, 2005
Tracklisting:
1. Keeping the Blade
2. Always and Never
3. Welcome Home
4. Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial)
5. Crossing the Frame
6. Apollo I: The Writing Writer
7. Once Upon Your Dead Body
8. Wake Up
9. The Suffering
10. The Lying Lies & Dirty Secrets of Miss Erica Court
11. Mother May I
12. The Willing Well I: Fuel for the Feeding End
13. The Willing Well II: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness
14. The Willing Well III: Apollo II: The Telling Truth
15. The Willing Well IV: The Final Cut

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World For Tomorrow
Release Date: October 23rd, 2007
Tracklisting:
1. The Reaping
2. No World For Tomorrow
3. The Hound (of Blood and Rank)
4. Feathers
5. The Running Free
6. Mother Superior
7. Gravemakers and Gunslingers
8. Justice in Murder
9. The End Complete I: The Fall of House Atlantic
10. The End Complete II: Radio Bye Bye
11. The End Complete III: The End Complete
12. The End Complete IV: The Road and the Damned
13. The End Complete V: On The Brink

The Year of the Black Rainbow
Release Date: April 13th, 2010
Tracklisting:
1. One
2. The Broken
3. Guns of Summer
4. Here We Are Juggernaut
5. Far
6. This Shattered Symphony
7. World of Lines
8. Made Out Of Nothing (All That I Am)
9. Pearl of the Stars
10. In The Flame of Error
11. When Skeletons Live
12. The Black Rainbow
13. Chamberlain *bonus track
14. The Lost Shepherd *bonus track
15. Hush *iTunes exclusive

Miscellaneous Links
The Amory Wars
Evil Ink Website
Claudio Sanchez' Official Twitter
Chondra Sanchez' Official Twitter
Josh Eppard's Twitter
Cobalt & Calcium's Twitter
Kids of the Fence Twitter
---
Prize Fighter Inferno Wiki (Claudio Sanchez side project)
Devenport Cabinet Wiki (Travis Stever side project)

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 29, 16 at 7:35pm
EvilTediz597

The title track on that album always reminds me of Body Harvest on the N64 for some reason.

Mar 29, 16 at 2:22am
Saeglopur

quote Kokoro
quote Saeglopur
Kokoro - You don't have The Second Stage Turbine Blade? You definitely need to listen through that, particularly if you like In Keeping Secrets. It's where it all began and there's some fantastic songs. In fact, I think I'm going to listen to it right now. In terms of more recent work, as I've already mentioned, The Afterman is brilliant all round.
Oh, I've heard all their albums to an extent. It's just that I don't really own them all. The Second Stage Turbine Blade, though, is a rather unique album by Coheed and Cambria, I think. It has that raw sound not really found in any of their other albums.
Definitely. To be fair though, they didn't even know they were making an album when they recorded those. They were essentially demos of the songs they had which were then considered good enough to be cleaned up and released as a record, with the songs already obviously linking together in the narrative. It wasn't until they went into the studio to record In Keeping that they had their first chance to really shape the sound of the album as they were making it.

Mar 29, 16 at 1:23am
Kokoro

quote Saeglopur
Kokoro - You don't have The Second Stage Turbine Blade? You definitely need to listen through that, particularly if you like In Keeping Secrets. It's where it all began and there's some fantastic songs. In fact, I think I'm going to listen to it right now. In terms of more recent work, as I've already mentioned, The Afterman is brilliant all round.
Oh, I've heard all their albums to an extent. It's just that I don't really own them all. The Second Stage Turbine Blade, though, is a rather unique album by Coheed and Cambria, I think. It has that raw sound not really found in any of their other albums.

Mar 28, 16 at 4:10am
Saeglopur

quote BlackLabel
Really need to listen to the latest album but just can't bring myself to do it just yet, I really didn't like the singles from it at all.
It's worth listening to. I was a bit indifferent to it at first, but it has grown on me, though I haven't played through it that much in all. I was helped by first listening to it properly a few times on a long car journey a few months back and came to know a few of the songs from that. I did also finally get round to listening to Circa Survive's Descensus album on the same journey though, and I'd say that's probably the better of the two, haha!

Mar 28, 16 at 1:03am
Kokoro

Anyway, I really should get the rest of the albums by these guys on CD sometime. All I have In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3, both of the Good Apollo albums and more recently, The Color Before the Sun.

EvilTediz597, No World for Tomorrow was my first Coheed and Cambria album. It remains one of my favorites. I'm not that big of a fan of Year of the Black Rainbow though.

Mar 22, 16 at 7:25pm
EvilTediz597

I guess I'm weird, I generally hold No World for Tomorrow and Year of the Black Rainbow as their best as far as albums go, but I've been out of the loop for a while. It's all good, really, but I've played those two albums the most. Need to indulge in the whole catalogue sometime, chronologically by narrative.

Also, might as well give this a spotlight.

Mar 22, 16 at 6:43pm
BlackLabel

I was listening to The Amory Wars saga while playing The Division earlier all their concept pieces back to back in a playlist.. I forgot just how good the band is and even found a way to appreciate 'Year Of The Black Rainbow', as while most of what got me through it was 'The Second Stage Turbine Blade' coming up next it was cool to listen to it for once and not dislike half the tracks.. Once 'Good Apollo IV: Volume One' was playing I was in my element, that album is phenomenal from start to finish just perfect.. Really need to listen to the latest album but just can't bring myself to do it just yet, I really didn't like the singles from it at all.

Mar 22, 16 at 11:12am
Saeglopur

quote Mister MacPhisto
Saeglopur what are the standouts on live material for you?
In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 is always a cracker - I'm on the Neverender DVD somewhere for the "Man Your Own Jackhammer!!!" bit, which kind of sums that song up live, haha! Welcome Home's obviously a staple but in my experience is infinitely better opening the set than closing, though still good of course. Songs like Everything Evil, Delirium Trigger, The Crowing, The Light And The Glass, and The Willing Well II were all awesome at Neverender as I recall, and from The Afterman, I remember Domino and Sentry both being fantastic live. Really though, pretty much everything they play is great live. The last time I saw them, they opened a pre-show acoustic set with Pearl Of The Stars, and it was one of the best concert openings I've ever witnessed, haha!

Mar 22, 16 at 5:57am
Mister MacPhisto

Saeglopur what are the standouts on live material for you?

Mar 21, 16 at 11:53pm
Saeglopur

quote Kokoro
Oh, I see. Well, as for my favorite Coheed and Cambria album, that would probably be the first Good Apollo album (but No World for Tomorrow is a close second). My favorite has shifted between those two albums more than once in the past. It looks like the first Good Apollo album is one of your favorites too, right, Saeglopur?
Yeah, I've always considered Good Apollo to be their masterpiece really, while In Keeping Secrets isn't too far behind in terms of the quality of most of the songs. The Afterman definitely surprised me by forcing its way among them as I didn't think they'd reach that level again. All the other albums have some nice moments as well though, but I probably don't listen to them as frequently.