Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » HTML/CSS & NeoHome Help » Password Lock for Neohomes? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.Please note that this forum is for HTML/NeoHome-related questions only. If you have a question about markup or Neoseeker, please refer to Site/Forums Help & QA.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 22, 11 at 10:29pmditto

Is there any code I can use to block pages in my neohome from view unless you type the correct password? I've only found one code so far, and it's javascript so it won't do :'(

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 23, 11 at 9:23pm
Artificer

quote shaaaaaaaaynee
i don't really know why you'd want a pass lock isn't the point of neohome to share that content with people
if you want a passlock on something just make a tumblr or your own website or something

^ this.

Oct 23, 11 at 1:49pm
harbin

Plus if it is a javascript lock people can disable javascript in their browsers which will make the lock pointless.

Javascript probably isn't allowed because it could be seen as a security risk. The only secure way would be to do it in PHP which is also not allowed.

Oct 23, 11 at 10:04am
shayne

i don't really know why you'd want a pass lock isn't the point of neohome to share that content with people
if you want a passlock on something just make a tumblr or your own website or something

Oct 23, 11 at 7:50am
Chiggins

Just so you know, from a security standpoint... If someone WANTS to find something, they WILL find that something. Keep that in mind, it'll keep you going in the long run.

Oct 23, 11 at 2:59am
ditto

quote Quierta
I don't see how you would be able to do that without linking to it in the code... You would have to put it SOMEWHERE as an anchor.

I don't think there's any way to get around it. I mean, even if I can't find the page in the Neohome on Neo, I can still view the page source to see it that way. Even a hidden page like the one that Artificer showed everyone how to make is vulnerable to that. You could go on and see all the pages at once.

That's what I meant by "hidden page," I just couldn't think of the word for it >.<

You're right about the view page source, but I am planning on having multiple anchors. It would probably take a while to sort through them all and find the hidden one. And I don't think many people would even think about looking for it that way anyways.

Oct 23, 11 at 2:48am
Quierta

quote ditto
That's why I decided not to do that lol. The best way I could think of doing this is making a hidden "page", but not putting a link to it anywhere else on the neohome. The password would just be the small bit of text at the end url. Then you could just hit enter and it would link you to it.
I don't see how you would be able to do that without linking to it in the code... You would have to put it SOMEWHERE as an anchor.

I don't think there's any way to get around it. I mean, even if I can't find the page in the Neohome on Neo, I can still view the page source to see it that way. Even a hidden page like the one that Artificer showed everyone how to make is vulnerable to that. You could go on and see all the pages at once.

Oct 23, 11 at 2:45am
ditto

quote Quierta
quote ditto
Good point. But I think I found a way to do it without java. I could make a list of the letters A-Z, and each letter would contain a link. You would have to click the letters in the correct order, and would eventually be linked to the said page. If you clicked the wrong letter, you would be taken to an "access denied" page or something. This isn't as good as a password, but it could work.

Implying I take the time to type all this out, of course.

A person would easily be able to look at the code to see which letters you have to press.
That's why I decided not to do that lol. The best way I could think of doing this is making a hidden "page", but not putting a link to it anywhere else on the neohome. The password would just be the small bit of text at the end url. Then you could just hit enter and it would link you to it.

Oct 23, 11 at 2:38am
Quierta

quote ditto
Good point. But I think I found a way to do it without java. I could make a list of the letters A-Z, and each letter would contain a link. You would have to click the letters in the correct order, and would eventually be linked to the said page. If you clicked the wrong letter, you would be taken to an "access denied" page or something. This isn't as good as a password, but it could work.

A person would easily be able to look at the code to see which letters you have to press.

Oct 23, 11 at 12:49am
Zaicon

quote ditto

Couldn't you just click the back button on your browser if you get an access denied page?

Oct 22, 11 at 11:44pm
ditto

quote Chiggins
Well the problem with Javascript, is that it could be used for malicious purposes. Could do some XSS attacks or remove some of the ad's on the site, which wouldn't look good for Neoseeker.