Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » RAGE » RAGE PC tweak guide » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 05, 11 at 6:35pmchautemoc

Below are some tweaks to help improve RAGE on PC, as its 'Auto Balancer' isn't particularly intelligent at determining which settings are best for your rig. Note many tweaks are personally tested and verified, and some come from publisher Bethesda or developer id themselves. All tweaks are for single player only.

Drivers
Be sure you have the R285 beta drivers from NVIDIA or the 11.10 Version 2 Preview driver from AMD.

Options
As of October 8, a patch has enabled a select few graphics options for RAGE, two of which are detailed below.

VSync

The 'Smart' option supports 'swap tearing', if supported by your GPU. The idea here is to maintain 60fps with no tearing, but for situations where you drop below, tearing will occur instead of the standard temporary drop to 30. If your GPU doesn't support it, it defaults to 'Off'.

Texture Cache
If you have enough VRAM, set this to large to improve textures and texture popping.

Command variables

Add these by right-clicking RAGE in Steam and selecting Properties > Launch Options.

+set com_skipIntroVideo 1
Skips the introductory videos.

+cvaradd g_fov XX
XX represents how much field of view you'd like to add on top of the default 80 (e.g. 10). On a high resolution monitor, you're likely to find it rather narrow, so experiment. On 1680x1050 resolution, 10 seemed about right, but you may prefer higher. May affect framerate.

(Default FOV & 95 FOV)

+vt_maxPPF XX
A substitute for the "GPU Transcode" option, if it's not available in your video options menu. Both options compensate for a GPU bottlenecked by the CPU. Those with a dual core machine or similar should use a value of 8; for something a little better, try 16. Other valid inputs include 8, 32, 64, 128.

+vt_cudaBudget XX
Switch this to 16.6 or higher if you're happy with your framerate and want better image quality. It may negatively affect framerate.

Config file tweaks

Implement these by navigating to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rage\base and creating a text file named rageconfig.cfg. Open it with Notepad and enter whatever lines you desire, then save and exit. Below are a variety of config commands, though I haven't tested them and can't verify what most of them do:

com_AllowConsole 1
vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctspecular 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100
vt_usecudatranscode 2
vt_maxppf 2048
vt_minlod -1
vt_maxlockedpages 1024
vt_uncompressedvmtr 1
vt_uncompressedphysicalimages 1
vt_vmtrcompression none
image_lodbias -1
image_usecompression 0
image_screenshotquality 100
Sources (further information can be found here): NeoGAF, Steam forums, Bethesda forums, Geforce, Kotaku, Steam news.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 07, 11 at 3:32am
wintair

Rage working on an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650.

Notes: The following totally eliminated a problem I was having with many darkish rectilinear artifacts flickering in the environment, and the game running at slideshow speeds. Texture streaming is still off, but I read somewhere that you need at least 1 GB of physical video memory for the Mega Textures to stream properly, so I will live with it until I finish my 1st playthrough. This guide assumes that you have a good knowledge of Windows Operating Systems. You have to be patient, and follow the steps for this to work. Those with higher spec machines should experience better results.

My Notebook System Specs:

Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Physical Memory 512 MB. HyperMemory 2287 MB. PCI Express 2.0 x 16. Core Clock 450 MHz, Memory Clock 600 MHz.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.2 GHz

Hard Drive: Hitachi HTS 723232l9SA60, SATA Interface, 320 GB, 7200 RPM.

Ram: 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM. Do not know the Manufacturer or any other Specs.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, build 7600)

As you can see, this is a low spec system for playing Rage or gaming in general.

Additionally, I don’t know if this matters, but I had 70 GB free on my HD when I started.

(1) Whatever Catalyst Drivers you have, set everything to default, then go to Control Panel and uninstall all ATI and/or AMD software that you see. Don’t restart when prompted. Next check all your subfolders under c:\users, and delete anything that is titled ATI or AMD. Now shut down your computer then boot it after a minute has passed.

(2) Defrag your Hard Drive. Do this just before you go to bed and it will be finished when you wake up. When it is complete, shut down your computer, and then boot it after a minute has passed.

(3) Go to http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/Catalyst-Hotfixes.aspx and download AMD Catalyst™ 11.10 Version 3 Preview Driver. Choose custom install and make sure everything is checked, and then follow all onscreen instructions. When everything is finished even if it prompts you to reboot, shut down your computer, then boot it after a minute has passed. Open Catalyst Pro Control Center and select Gaming from the left menu list. Check Disable Catalyst A.I. and set Wait for vertical refresh to the extreme left ( Off position)

(4) Install Rage and everything that came with it (Direct X , Visual Basic etc.) Then shut down your computer, and boot it after a minute has passed.

(5) Install the Rage Update 1¸ then shut down your computer, and boot it after a minute has passed. (If you already have the game installed, skip step (4) but run the update regardless) Launch the game and make sure the Video Settings look like this:

Resolution: 1280 x 720 (for a 16:9 display)
Anti Aliasing: 8X
Vsync: Off
Texture Cache: Large
Aniostropic Filtering: Low

Then shut down the game without playing it.

(6) Find the file ( C:\AMD\AMD_Catalyst_11.10_Preview3_Windows7_Vista/Packages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF\B126904\atioglxx.dl_ ) and copy it to the directory where Rage.exe is found. DO NOT MOVE IT. COPY IT. Usually ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Rage ). Then change the extension to .dll, so that it looks like ( atioglxx.dll )

(7) Now create a text file where the contents read:

com_AllowConsole 1
com_videoRam 512 (this should be whatever the physical memory on your card is)
fc_maxcachememoryMB 1536
image_useCache 1
image_filter GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR
image_ignoreHighQuality 0
r_useHighQualityPostProcess 1
r_shadowsHighQuality 1
r_renderer best
r_useHBAO 1
r_useMotionBlur 1
r_skipBump 0
r_skipSpecular 0
r_skipNewAmbient 0
r_shadows 1
r_cgFragmentProfile best
r_cgVertexProfile best
image_usecompression 0
image_anisotropy 16
vt_minlod -1
vt_lodBias -1
vt_maxaniso 2
vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctspecular 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 4096
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 4096
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 4096
g_showplayershadow 0
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 16
vt_useCudaTranscode 2
vt_maxPPF 64

(I know that image_anisotropy is listed twice, and the vt_pageimagesizeunique and vt_maxPPF #’s are for higher spec systems, but this is what worked for me and after a week of fiddling with these #’s, these are the only settings that worked)

Change the file name to ( rageconfig.cfg ) and place it in (….\Rage\base ) where ( Rage ) is the directory where the game exe is located and the ( base ) folder is at the top of the window. The file goes in the ( base ) folder.

(8) Navigate to ( C:\Users\(yourname or Administrator if that is how you logged on)\AppData\Local ) and create a Folder named ( id Software ) and within that folder create another folder named ( rage )

(9) From Start Menu, open Control Panel then System and Security then System, and select Advanced system settings. You should be in a dialog box with the Advanced tab selected. Click on Settings in the Performance area, and then click on the Advanced tab in the next dialog box. Look for the Virtual memory area and click on Change. In both boxes for Custom Size type in 7168, then click Set then OK. Click on Apply in the previous Dialog Box, then OK. You should be prompted to reboot your computer, but ignore the message. When all of the Control Panel Dialog Boxes are closed and the reboot message is still on the screen, Repeat step (1) but don’t change the settings in Catalyst Pro Control Center, then repeat step (3). The settings in Catalyst Pro Control Center should still be the same. If you already have the installer, you don’t need to download it again.

(10) Now launch the game and there should be no artifacts, and the game should not run at slideshow speed. I still have some slowish texture streaming, but I have not found a way around that yet.

I wish there were not so many steps to this process, but this is what worked for me. Hope this works for all of you who try this.

P.S. After this eliminated my artifact problem I created a restore point, just in case it came back, but I still have not had to use it. I suggest you do the same.

Oct 16, 11 at 11:28pm
Ubica

Guys can you help with this one,i did tried everything but no luck, i tried with 2 monitors 1920*1080 and 1280*1024. Plz help
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68737963@N02/6251920552/in/photostream[/img]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68737963@N02/6251392765/in/photostream
I have all the latest driver,patch installed, nothing works!
And i installed,created cfg file with low setting.
I have Intel dual core 3,5Ghz, hd 5770 1Gddr5,4Gb ram

Oct 16, 11 at 6:12pm
geordie100

OK, I have upgraded my Nvidia drivers but I am still getting the the "out of date" driver message when I launch Rage! How do I get Rage to acknowledge the updated driver?

Oct 13, 11 at 8:45pm
chautemoc

quote SwitchUK
Little help guys; Im in a unique position where I have a great graphics card and only a mediocre processor:

CPU: E8500
GPU: XFX 6950 2gb
RAM: 4gb DDR3 1600mhz

What would you recommend my config file as. Im not much of a programmer
As of the last update, the config file method isn't really needed. Try V-Sync on Smart, Texture Cache on large, and add +vt_maxPPF 8 to your launch options. If you're unsatisfied with performance, turn off V-Sync and/or put Texture Cache on small.

quote Ncjpr1993
Has there been any word on a high-res texture pack? The game looks amazing after the latest patch, and the only flaw I can see is a couple blurry textures here and there, I would love to see this game run at its full potential. I really hope Doom 4 is more optimized for PC users, if anything goes wrong with that launch, I may cry.
Carmack has brought up the possibility of bringing that out, but I've heard it's potentially 100+GB of data, so I have my doubts. Even if it does come, it might be more trouble than its worth.

Oct 13, 11 at 5:05am
Ncjpr1993

Has there been any word on a high-res texture pack? The game looks amazing after the latest patch, and the only flaw I can see is a couple blurry textures here and there, I would love to see this game run at its full potential. I really hope Doom 4 is more optimized for PC users, if anything goes wrong with that launch, I may cry.

Oct 12, 11 at 8:40pm
SwitchUK

Little help guys; Im in a unique position where I have a great graphics card and only a mediocre processor:

CPU: E8500
GPU: XFX 6950 2gb
RAM: 4gb DDR3 1600mhz

What would you recommend my config file as. Im not much of a programmer

Oct 11, 11 at 10:51am
PirateTiger

I know these are tweaks for ENHANCING, I wanna go the other way.

Oct 10, 11 at 12:01am
edkoch

Thanks for all of the recommendations and tweaks. I've been able to get my single player game to run great.

Now to multiplayer, when I launch the game and then click MP it kills my SP instance and launches a new one without any of my rageconfig.cfg settings. I've tried placing the file in the MP/base dir, users/local data and steamapps/common/Rage/MP/base but still no joy.

Any recomemndations, MP is unplayable with out those tweaks.

Oct 08, 11 at 4:44pm
Toshio03

Salut Nicoteen, dis moi j'ai crée comme tu as dis C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Software\rage mais il ne s'en sert pas du tout....comment faire ?

Oct 08, 11 at 3:08pm
Nicoteen

Sorry for double post, but new release for ATI drivers (the third, wich includes: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU122AMDCat1110PreDriverV2.aspx

It seems to fix this and many others bugs

"Reduces intermittent crashing seen loading levels in Rage and resolves flickering of NPCs in Rage"

Also i found the "best and complete rageconfig file ever" (optimized by FusedCore) with different profiles (best, high, mid, low) here : http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25524360#post25524360

The game runs like hell, and looks gorgeous !