Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » HTML/CSS & NeoHome Help » Need help with creating my new website! » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.Please note that this forum is for HTML/NeoHome-related questions only. If you have a question about markup or Neoseeker, please refer to Site/Forums Help & QA.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Sep 18, 11 at 2:45amSh4d0w

Hi everyone! Okay so I'll just cut to the chase,

I have a great website idea. I need help and I'm not sure if this requires strictly HTML coding or maybe PHP. I really would appreciate any help or opinions I can get! Ok so here is what I want:

I want my website coded so that people can post up information on my website. What I mean is like, I want a sort of guestbook where people can fill a small form and post quick information and on the front page a list of all posts will show where the top post would be the most recent. For example those websites like failblog and MLIA ( I promise I am NOT making another "failblog" type of website lol).

In addition to this I want to have a search capability! So if someone searches the word "apple", I would like every post that contained the word "apple" to show up!

Does anyone know how about I could achieve this? In more general terms I want to create a user-made database lol.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 06, 13 at 5:31pm
Chekkaa

You create a text file and starting typing code. Then you save it with the .php extension.

Jan 05, 13 at 11:12am
emilytaylor

How will i start to create a new page?

Dec 31, 12 at 2:05am
Edith Abbott

You may use php for you project.

Nov 04, 11 at 6:46pm
rion

I would recommened phpeasystep to get a lot of base functions, like the one shown above. It gives little explanations of each line and what not.

Sep 19, 11 at 2:59pm
Hidden_ _Wolf

i can recommend a book.this is the best book Ive come across. it explains the basics and advanced concepts of php using real world applications. So it's easy to follow and fun to code.
or you can google for a few books.Ive seen a few which are free to download

Sep 19, 11 at 5:43am
BeZ

You won't be able to do it without some form of server side coding, whether that be PHP or something else like ASP. You need to be able to save data to the server and that isn't possible with just client side scripting (JavaScript).

Sep 18, 11 at 11:54pm
Sh4d0w

Thanks BeZ! I might take you up on that offer lol! Um, last question: is there any way to do this without using PHP?

Sep 18, 11 at 5:01pm
BeZ

I learnt PHP through university... There's php.net although that's only really useful as a reference... Other than the obvious W3Schools I'm not sure what to suggest, just search around on Google, look at other peoples code and figure out how it works or ask for help I guess, I'll be willing to lend a hand with anything you need if you need help

Sep 18, 11 at 3:36pm
Sh4d0w

wow thanks!! I'm such a noob at PHP, anyone recommend any good tutorials online?

Sep 18, 11 at 11:36am
Hidden_ _Wolf

and to search create another form (maybe set the action parameter to another page) and the php code will be like

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM <TABLE> WHERE <COLUMN_NAME> LIKE '%<THE SEARCH WORD>%'");

that's a basic search. the query returns anything which matches the search word(or phrase). all you have to do is loop through it and display it.