Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » Kendrick Lamar » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Sep 01, 11 at 3:25pmJaffers

quote Bio
Kendrick Lamar (born June 17, 1987) formerly known as K. Dot, is an American rapper from Compton, California. His music is influenced by Tupac Shakur, Nas, Jay-Z, Kanye West and DMX. He is a member of Black Hippy along with Jay Rock, Ab-Soul and Schoolboy Q. In 2009 he released an EP titled The Kendrick Lamar EP, a highly acclaimed mixtape in 2010 titled O(verly) D(edicated) and released his third solo project Section.80 on July 2, 2011.
Studio albums

Section.80 (2011)

EPs

Kendrick Lamar EP (2009)

Mixtapes

Youngest Head *bleep* in Charge(2003)
Training Day (2005)
C4 (2009)
Overly Dedicated (2010)

- - - - - - - - - -

Really surprised there wasn't a thread already up about him, seriously one of the best rappers around right now. In my mind Section. 80 has been the best hip-hop album dropped this year, I can't even pick a track from it which I don't find dope. Dude's got flow, lyrical content worth something, and just passion for hip-hop.

Since YouTube videos are massive on the site now I'll just link to some:

HiiiPower
F**k Your Ethnicity
Keisha's Song (Her Pain)

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

May 20, 16 at 11:09am
Kid Clutch

What eclipsed Tupac above everyone else was not as much his skill but moreso his sheer level of influence and his being able to relate on several demographics and on many levels. Kendrick is one of the only rappers since him to be able to do the same, and in such an age where I'd say it's relatively harder to do so.

A lot of rappers in the 00s tried to go that route, but they couldn't hold on the consistency. Kendrick is doing it effortlessly.

Comparisons of this nature are very hard to measure. But purely skill-wise, I think Kendrick is considered to be better. On an overall basis, I think time will be the true determinator.

May 20, 16 at 6:17am
Lukas

yeah, what those two above me said.

And Tupac was pretty sick so...

May 19, 16 at 4:15pm
Wakaman

quote EricF
Kendrick's talent exceeds Tupac's significantly.

May 19, 16 at 9:14am
EricF

Kendrick's talent exceeds Tupac's significantly.

May 19, 16 at 8:06am
BlackLabel

quote cherrytooya
I been listening to Kendrick for a few years now and I remember telling people in school that he was gonna be making a big sound in hip hop. I been at all his concerts in mass and I will see every one that he comes for its awesome to see a legend in my own time and being able to say that I saw it be for it happened. im not gonna argue with people with what im about to say but, he is the tupac of our time. Kendrick is the best current rapper. I will be at his concert here
I think calling him the Tupac of our time does Kendrick a disservice. Kendrick is a once in a generation rapper just like Eminem was for those that grew up with him and Tupac was, but they have vastly different qualities and both are greats of the industry. I think the best compliment you can give an artist is that they sound unique and that they are their own person, comparisons can be complimentary but it puts the artist in their shadow and that's often not a good thing.

May 19, 16 at 6:08am
cherrytooya

I been listening to Kendrick for a few years now and I remember telling people in school that he was gonna be making a big sound in hip hop. I been at all his concerts in mass and I will see every one that he comes for its awesome to see a legend in my own time and being able to say that I saw it be for it happened. im not gonna argue with people with what im about to say but, he is the tupac of our time. Kendrick is the best current rapper. I will be at his concert here

Mar 08, 16 at 7:34pm
Kafani

Section.80 was a classic, but yeah lyrically he has gotten better, not to mention his content is more mature and refined, you can tell he really did his homework on slavery and oppression, he's not just using it as a gimmick for his album (*cough* NAS)

Mar 08, 16 at 7:00pm
Wakaman

quote judaspriest
That untitled stuff was a nice suprise. Listened to it on route to work this morning, some class tracks.

Is it just me who thinks Section.80 is still his best album so far though?
i think he's gotten better with every project.

Mar 08, 16 at 6:16pm
Dark Xionei

Solid ass release. For just b sides, the songs honestly are good enough to not be mastered.

Mar 08, 16 at 7:52am
judaspriest

That untitled stuff was a nice suprise. Listened to it on route to work this morning, some class tracks.

Is it just me who thinks Section.80 is still his best album so far though?