Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

hideOriginal Post

Aug 31, 11 at 5:19amGravity

Last Post

quote VeGiTAX2
Spent an hour playing cable ninja. Ended up with this for now.

Side fan throwing up air is a 250mm Antec tri-color on random mode so it makes a variety of cool colors.

Lighting is done via BitFenix LED aqua strip. It is pretty friggin bright too. That was the backlight for the LCD I was working on. Was being the keyword, the IC that connects to the LCD panel fried on me so it's dead project unless I replace that board and the ribbons to the panel itself. >_<

Sorry guys, server was flipping when 2 were created and now they both seem to have deleted.

Here we go again. Sorry for that.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 17, 15 at 11:30am
Ren of Heavens

quote Ren of Heavens
Merry 2015 everyone

AMD 390X needs to hurry up, can't take my 5830 much longer.
Fury X has complicated my plans somewhat, I was expecting a triple fan option as well as the water cooled but it didn't materialise. My case will either need modding some more to take a 120mm rad, replacing, or drop down to the regular air cooled Fury =\

May 12, 15 at 5:08pm
Tommy Vercetti

Didnt get a definitive answer in the my thread.
quote Tommy Vercetti
Hey guys! Recently my laptop has decided to over heat constanly, and it's ages old. I could easily just reapply thermal paste, but nah. It's about time I get something much more powerful.

So I was looking on eBay for CPUs and came across the Xeon X5650. Six Cores and it runs at 2.5 GHz I believe. They were released in 2010, and they're overclockable. I plan on buying two and running them on a dual CPU motherboard and use the PC for 3D animation or just messing around in Source, and Unreal Engine. The other reason of course is gaming. I know that's having 12 cores will be a bottleneck and I won't see 500FPS even with the highest end GPU.

Do you guys think it's worth it for just the workstation side? I mean I could get both CPUs for around $150 on eBay.

May 12, 15 at 3:27pm
Chad

One man's trash is another man's treasure!

May 10, 15 at 10:44pm
The Slayer

I just threw away some old 7 year old celeron processor today if you want me to dig it out for you...

Not sure why you would want my broken parts!

I've done similar to HDD's in the past, was messing in my case while my computer was running and barely bumped the sata power going to my OS drive, knocked it off for like half a second but it was long enough for windows to BSOD. Back in my high school days taking computer classes I unplugged the hard drive running windows 98 or 2000 or some crap to see what I could do in windows before it crashed (not much).

Really surprised it worked especially since its a RAID.

May 10, 15 at 10:30pm
Chad

Haha, gotcha. Well if something did mess up but the part still worked, you know I'm more than happy to accept a donation for when I get around to putting together a build. :3 Maybe then you'll see my face around these parts more often, haha.

May 10, 15 at 10:21pm
The Slayer

I think it went something like this:

"blah blah blah, rabble rabble rabble"
>Oh shit
"What?"
>just accidentally popped one of my hard drives out
"Oh. Blah blah blah blah"
>what the *bleep*
"what?"
>it works.

May 10, 15 at 10:18pm
Chad

The Slayer, geez, I bet the person on the other end was thinking you were having a heart attack, haha. Hopefully it continues to act normal.

May 10, 15 at 10:09pm
The Slayer

Thought I'd share this weird story that just happened to me.

I have 3 SSD's in a RAID0 as my OS drive. Nice and fast like I like it. My case only has 5 slots for storage drives, all of which are hot swapable, so my 3 SSD's are in 3 hot swap bays. Well I was on the phone and absent mindingly playing around with the case when I popped one of the drives out. Had it out for a few seconds while I was going 'oh shit', then put it back in.

It was as if nothing happened. Windows didn't BSOD, my motherboard didn't freak out, nothing. Been going fine for about an hour now.

Apr 19, 15 at 8:58pm
The Slayer

If you upgrade your PSU, get one thats 100-200 watts more than what you would need now. Those generally can last a while and if you get one large enough you wont have to worry about upgrading it in another few years when you want a new video card or something. I went with an 850 watt a while back as a lot of over kill, then ended up with an R9 270x and an i7 and I still know I can throw in a second video card in with out any worries.

From what I've read about the GTX 970, I can't remember the exact details, but it does have 4gb of ram. The problem is, 3.5gb of it is a much higher speed ram, what you would normally get in a GPU. The other .5 gb is a slower speed ram. So if you have a game that is only using 3.5gb or less of video ram, you will be fine. But as soon as it starts using more than 3.5gb, it will spill over into the slower ram which will knock all of the total ram in the card (the other 3.5gb) down to the slower speed. From what I've seen, this can cause performance issues, like a drop in FPS. This has made a lot of people angry.

For old hardware, I sell what I can or just keep it as spare computers. I still have a single core AMD socket 939 system, the very first computer I built back in like 2006 in a closet somewhere ready to go. I also have a dual core AMD from probably 2007 that I used as a minecraft server for a while. I also have a Core 2 Duo system in a closet. I use them for spare computers on occasion, turn them into servers, use them for backups if someones computer fails. I honestly have no clue what to do with them all. The AMD's still work perfectly. Insanely outdated by todays standards though but I can't get myself to get rid of them. If the parts are still recent, like 1-3 years old, I try and sell them. I was able to sell an AMD FX9590, 4gb of DDR3 and a mid tower case a few weeks ago and made around $240. Still have a motherboard, SSD and an N760 I'm trying to get rid of. Some older hardware can fetch you $5-10 to someone who wants it. Think I sold two laptops from around the 2005-2008 area for $75 last year. Had windows xp on them, neither had a full gb of ram on them.

And like everyone else said, the GPU is usually the bottle neck now, CPU's can last through a few GPU upgrades and still be fine. You have a quad core processor that runs at a pretty good speed so that should last you a little while longer too.

Apr 19, 15 at 7:47pm
Vendetta

If you want to keep your PSU, definitely get the 970. The R9 series (especially the 290X) is very power hungry, while the 900 series is very power efficient. You could probably scrape by with a 290, but you always want a little headroom. The 970 does have that VRAM issue, but it's generally understood that it'll be long outdated before the VRAM even becomes an issue. Whether that's true or not has yet to be seen, but if you're only gaming at 1080p, you should be fine. 1440p and up, the VRAM becomes an issue.

I agree with Ren about the CPU. Keep it, especially if you're going to switch to Intel soon anyway. It's a bit long in the tooth but it should get you by until you're ready to upgrade. The GPU is generally more important than the CPU these days, and you'll see massive improvements once you upgrade your GPU.

I'd just keep your old parts and maybe build an HTPC or something later down the line. PC parts depreciate pretty quickly and you won't get that much for them.

Bear in mind that GTA V is very taxing. I've got a 290X, 8GB of RAM, and a 4690K OCed to 4.5 GHz, and I still only get about 20-30 FPS with everything maxed in the city. The 970 performs a few frames better, like in most games, but it's still far off from silky smooth. Personally, I have to drop the MSAA down to x2 and drop the shadows down a couple of tiers to get 60 FPS, but it still looks way better than the PS4/Xbone versions. It's basically the new Crysis, to play it on max settings without breaking the bank you're gonna have to wait a generation or two.

Tl;dr: Buy the 970, keep the 965 till you're ready to switch to Intel, and keep your old parts.