Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Aug 31, 11 at 5:19amGravity

Last Post

quote VeGiTAX2
Spent an hour playing cable ninja. Ended up with this for now.

Side fan throwing up air is a 250mm Antec tri-color on random mode so it makes a variety of cool colors.

Lighting is done via BitFenix LED aqua strip. It is pretty friggin bright too. That was the backlight for the LCD I was working on. Was being the keyword, the IC that connects to the LCD panel fried on me so it's dead project unless I replace that board and the ribbons to the panel itself. >_<

Sorry guys, server was flipping when 2 were created and now they both seem to have deleted.

Here we go again. Sorry for that.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Nov 6, 16 at 10:13pm
J917

So it's my first time coming up with a PC build and I'm going by nothing except a little research so thought I'd ask on here to make sure everything is all good. Trying to keep to an £800 budget which is roughly what this initial build is if you factor in the OS, a mouse mat and a cheap keyboard/mouse combo. I plan on running at 1080p on as high settings as possible that maintains 60fps.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6pJfhq

Just a few pointers:

- I know the i3 isn't really ideal for the GPU, but as far as I can tell it shouldn't be *too* much of an issue and I can always upgrade to an i5 when I can afford.

- The CPU, motherboard and RAM come in a bundle for a slight discount on Amazon which is why I've gone for them over a potentially cheaper motherboard/RAM alternative.

- Decided to opt for an RX 480 4GB over a 1060 3GB as apparently the lack of vRAM is already becoming an issue at 1080p, plus the monitor I'm looking at is Freesync.

- The monitor is that model and price but it's 75Hz, not 60 as listed.

Thoughts and anything I might've overlooked?

Nov 6, 16 at 3:27pm
Iscariot

I wasn't even sure what my RAM was running at, so I decided to look up a benchmark test and found this pretty cool site that can benchmark all of your components and give you some idea of how everything's performing.

that NVMe drive overperformance.

Nov 6, 16 at 1:45pm
hbn

I've used Noctua in my current one. The cooler is large and heavy but as air cooling goes it really is top notch but it doesn't make for the easiest access. To get to the RAM I have to take the cooler off and the notches to detach the fans so I can get to the screws is a very tight squeeze with the top of my case. Looking for something lighter and easier.

My current CPU is an X4 965, which still pulls it's weight for now. It's RAM support shows DRR3-1333, yet I have my RAM running at 1600.

Nov 6, 16 at 12:13pm
Iscariot

quote hbn
Gonna start compiling a parts list for my next build. It is time for an upgrade. I've decided on Intel/Nvidia. I'm unsure whether or not to get a new case for mine. One I like the look of though, has no 5.25" bay, which given how I still use discs, it is a necessity. I'd have to either change that or find an external bluray drive. I could stick with the case I have but it'd be easier to build a new one from scratch. I'm moving storage across. Likewise I'm aware new Intel CPUs don't have stock coolers any more. Unsure here whether or not to get another fan cooler (from Noctua) or go for a hydro one (probably a H100i).
I've heard good things about those noctua coolers, but personally, I opted for an H100 with my build, and I've been really happy with it. I also replaced the stock corsair fans with noctuas.

Speaking of which, regards RAM, is it worth getting a higher speed than the CPU officially supports? I'd have to manually set the speeds back up to stock but will the processor play ball? I'd probably have to get a new copy of Windows as well.
if the processor won't support any higher, it's not worth going beyond what it can do. in my experience, though, I've honestly never noticed massive differences in the various RAM speeds that are currently available. benchmarks would probably say differently, but I can't detect in in real-world use.

as far as 1070 or 1080, just keep up on what's being offered when you're ready to build, and set price alerts on newegg and wherever else you can for sales. I don't have any plans to move to 4k any time soon, so the 1070 has been a dream for 1080p, and this thing runs remarkably cool.
that's a very big deal for me, because my radeon card before this upgrade got horrendously loud under load.

Nov 6, 16 at 9:28am
hbn

Bump

OK but there is a purpose.

Gonna start compiling a parts list for my next build. It is time for an upgrade. I've decided on Intel/Nvidia. I'm unsure whether or not to get a new case for mine. One I like the look of though, has no 5.25" bay, which given how I still use discs, it is a necessity. I'd have to either change that or find an external bluray drive. I could stick with the case I have but it'd be easier to build a new one from scratch. I'm moving storage across. Likewise I'm aware new Intel CPUs don't have stock coolers any more. Unsure here whether or not to get another fan cooler (from Noctua) or go for a hydro one (probably a H100i).

Either way this is what I have atm.

Speaking of which, regards RAM, is it worth getting a higher speed than the CPU officially supports? I'd have to manually set the speeds back up to stock but will the processor play ball? I'd probably have to get a new copy of Windows as well.

I'm also probably not gonna build this until the new year. That 1070 may be replaced with a 1080 or 1080ti depending on specs, pricing and if I'm willing to stretch my budget. I don't have a fixed budget yet though, probably will be set at £1,300.

Nov 1, 16 at 7:10pm
The Slayer

And it was a bump to the only stickied thread in this forum

Oct 27, 16 at 7:39pm
Iscariot

hey, cool. one of those bumps that doesn't say anything.

Oct 27, 16 at 7:31pm
Benedict

bump

Mar 31, 16 at 9:24pm
Supernova1332

Qwark It's a Biostar TA 970 ver 5.3
It's a low end board so likely cheap mosfets.

Mar 28, 16 at 5:42am
Qwark

quote Supernova1332
Seems a bit dead in this thread but anywho...
I just picked up a cheap mobo, an fx 8300, and a Captain 120 AIO cooler as a quick stopgap until zen comes out.
Im overclocking and started to notice my mosfets heating up nicely. Anyone know the recommended heat range?
What board is it?