Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Aug 31, 11 at 5:19amGravity

Last Post

quote VeGiTAX2
Spent an hour playing cable ninja. Ended up with this for now.

Side fan throwing up air is a 250mm Antec tri-color on random mode so it makes a variety of cool colors.

Lighting is done via BitFenix LED aqua strip. It is pretty friggin bright too. That was the backlight for the LCD I was working on. Was being the keyword, the IC that connects to the LCD panel fried on me so it's dead project unless I replace that board and the ribbons to the panel itself. >_<

Sorry guys, server was flipping when 2 were created and now they both seem to have deleted.

Here we go again. Sorry for that.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 27, 14 at 9:34am
harbin

Well the only RAM I would have to buy is a kit for the motherboard when I put my old components into a case with a new PSU to sell it off. Should get about £500-600 for the current parts all being well. They're not too old and still give great performance. Unless I actually think new faster DD3 RAM is worth it though I won't really need to upgrade that. My current PC has 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM as it is and barring a very unusual compatibility problem it itself will work. Then again if the prices change who knows. Probably won't mind being vain just so I can colour coordinate the inside with black+white parts.

That's dependent on what money I have to play around with though.

Oct 26, 14 at 7:26pm
The Slayer

I don't think there is much of a noticeable speed difference from DDR3 to DDR4, at least to warrant the extra cost for it. You can always hope for DDR3 prices to go down when 4 gets more popular, or even buy used parts.

Oct 26, 14 at 7:37am
harbin

Planning a timescale for an upgrade. Would've considered plopping for DDR4 RAM but not with the premium prices they have atm. Haven't got the money together right now anyway, so by the time I do it'll probably be on a next gen of Intel hardware and hopefully those RAM prices will have dropped considerably.

Oct 23, 14 at 9:31pm
The Slayer

So 4chan's /g/ needed to build a $100 computer. Someone came up with a $69 build.

http://i.imgur.com/cyQJJ1k.png

I assume a shoe box for a case and that they don't need a keyboard, mouse or monitor.

Oct 20, 14 at 4:03pm
hiigaran

so i decided to go the manly way and build the workbench. buying ready built stuff is for pussies! heres the update post.

nothing has been built yet. just the parts have arrived. as im waiting on a few things from ebay, the most i can do in the upcoming days is to measure and cut. will take some time to do, since im doing it manually with a hand saw, rather than a jig-saw, but the advantage to that is that while its much slower to do, i seem to be much more accurate this way.

id probably give it another two to three weeks before the next major update

Oct 13, 14 at 4:22pm
hiigaran

cheers mate. i just put together a rough build, so i didnt look too much into it, other than for the purposes of getting a rough price. that particular mobo is something im set on, for its 7 pcie slots. though do let me know if you find other board that have 7 or more pcie slots. doesnt matter if they are x1, x4, or x16, as long as the total combined slots are 7 or more.

at this stage, before i can continue, ill need to purchase some tools, and build a workbench. i have placed the order for that yesterday, so it should be delivered either later today, or tomorrow. the plywood will be assembled with hinges and caster wheels, so the workbench will be able to be folded flat and wheeled away when not in use.

Oct 13, 14 at 3:35pm
duneworld

quote hiigaran
so, ive started planning phases for my next computer. this will be my biggest and most expensive project to date. wall-mounted, and with more GPUs than you can poke a stick at!

so what could i possibly want to do with 10 GPUs? folding, of course! most of this rig would be for distributed computing applications, and i expect it to run up to $8000 (rough idea of parts). unless i can get a sponsor. that would be nice. expected power consumption? 4000 to 4500 watts. the equivalent to running a portable industrial heater.

if youre wondering how i could afford to throw so much money away on something like this, its because my total living expenses are about $10 a day, possibly even less. im hoping to start the base and design in a few weeks, and the computer itself in a few months.
Hey Hii, glad things are going well for you. And this project sounds like it's going to be awesome+epic; I will be watching.

Heads up in case you don't know this but Haswell E, i7-5000 series CPUs use socket 2011-v3, which is not pin-compatible with the original 2011 socket. So if you do decide on a Haswell E chip then you'll need an X99 motherboard.

Sep 28, 14 at 3:30pm
hiigaran

eh, thats a bit of a stretch to compare the two graphics...

but yes, its homeworld.

Sep 28, 14 at 1:13pm
harbin

Because the logo looked somewhat similar in concept. Or is it something to do with Homeworld which is where your username comes from (iirc)?

Sep 28, 14 at 11:08am
hiigaran

that was back in sweden. thankfully im out of that frozen hellhole.

also, managed to put the other two pieces up, so all five sections are there!

it will probably be a week or two before i have any more updates. busy roster and all. i will be buying the acrylic after this time, along with a router, chamfer bit, and either a router table, or materials to build one myself.

also, why does everyone think its got anything to do with destiny? never looked into destiny, so i dont even know what its about, but the design, which is the same as the one in my avvy, has been there since i joined neo