Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Graphics and Animation » Should I Get a Drawing Tablet? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Graphics and Animation forum! Please feel free to look around and learn new things in here. Don't be shy in sharing your knowledge as well. Before you start a new thread PLEASE make sure a thread doesn't already exist for the same purpose.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Aug 05, 11 at 3:21amhiigaran

im not in to graphic design on what would be anywhere near a serious level, but im just wondering if i should see if a tablet would get me much more interested in it. id like to get more in to graphic design, but right now, i just have that 'too lazy/couldnt be bothered' mentality.

now the obvious answer here seems to be no, but considering that i buy my stuff overseas, i usually pay half of what i would normally pay.

also, im aware that its not the tools that make a person skilled, but rather, the person him/herself. im just hoping it can give me some motivation to get more in to this whole thing.

what are your thoughts? if you think i should, any recommendations on tablets? also, seeing as ive never actually used one...how would it work with your graphics programs (photoshop, or whatever)?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 05, 11 at 7:43pm
hiigaran

just going to bump this. the tablet finally arrived. ive only played around with it for a couple of minutes, as im doing several other things right now, but one thing i noticed was that the drawing area represents all three of my screens, making it a bit tricky to be precise (or maybe i just need practice). i havent had a chance to look at the options for the tablet, but is there any way to limit the drawing area to one screen, or even a defined area within a graphics program?

EDIT: okay, i got the screen thing to work, but i cant get the pressure sensitivity to work. ideas?

Aug 30, 11 at 5:08am
hiigaran

okay, paypal finally got my money sent. hopefully the tablet will be here by the end of the week. thanks for all your help guys.

Aug 26, 11 at 4:42pm
Pritstick

quote hiigaran
Oh, you can hover just above the surface of the tablet and it registers it as a mouse movement and not a click, so it doesn't draw a line. You also get some tablets that come with a wireless mouse that can be used on the same tablet (the bigger A4 ones do, mine did) or you can plug a mouse in and use it at the same time for menu options and scroll bars and that.
okay, so the surface of the tablet isnt the entire canvas in your image editing program then? basically, you can draw on any part of the tablet surface, whether it is the middle or the corner, and it will always draw where the mouse is?
The tablet becomes the area of the canvas displayed on screen, so you might find it easier to make the image window roughly the same proportion as your tablet. Therefore, if you zoom out you will be able to draw across the entire image but you can zoom in for finer detail.

Aug 23, 11 at 4:13pm
Rune Ripper

The tablet will basically become a second screen. There are magnets in the pen and the tablet that work together to tell where exactly the pen is hovering over the tablet so that your mouse will move to that position on the screen. The pen becomes your mouse, that's how it works.

Aug 23, 11 at 3:32pm
hiigaran

Oh, you can hover just above the surface of the tablet and it registers it as a mouse movement and not a click, so it doesn't draw a line. You also get some tablets that come with a wireless mouse that can be used on the same tablet (the bigger A4 ones do, mine did) or you can plug a mouse in and use it at the same time for menu options and scroll bars and that.
okay, so the surface of the tablet isnt the entire canvas in your image editing program then? basically, you can draw on any part of the tablet surface, whether it is the middle or the corner, and it will always draw where the mouse is?

Aug 23, 11 at 3:25pm
Master Tenku

quote hiigaran
edit: Some more expensive tablets are actually a screen displaying whatever is on your monitor that you draw on top of like a layer in photoshop. The less expensive ones are just like buying a mouse without a mousepad. You learn to look at the screen and move the pen the exact amount you need to draw the shape, like you learn how to move the mouse the exact amount so that you hit the File button but not the buttons above or below it.
ahh, but a mouse is different to a pen. while moving the pen around to place it where you want it, you would be pretty much blind with where it would go on the screen, no?

You also learn where to tap the pen to do what you want with a bit of practice. I remember using photoshop for like a week with the tablet, and by the end of the week I could hit the colours palette with the pen without looking at the tablet or the current cursor position almost every time.

Aug 23, 11 at 3:15pm
hiigaran

edit: Some more expensive tablets are actually a screen displaying whatever is on your monitor that you draw on top of like a layer in photoshop. The less expensive ones are just like buying a mouse without a mousepad. You learn to look at the screen and move the pen the exact amount you need to draw the shape, like you learn how to move the mouse the exact amount so that you hit the File button but not the buttons above or below it.
ahh, but a mouse is different to a pen. while moving the pen around to place it where you want it, you would be pretty much blind with where it would go on the screen, no?

Aug 23, 11 at 2:58pm
Master Tenku

I bought one about 2 years ago, used it a lot of about a month and then haven't used it since. I still consider it a good purchase though. If you don't have the money but have relatives who refuse to give you money for special occaisions because they want to wrap something up for you they could always buy the one that you want. I would suggest that you get a relatively cheap one with an A4 sized drawing area to begin with and then give it a go. You'll never know if you don't ever try it. And even if you do lose interest after a few weeks you'll always have it in storage if you're doing something on the computer one day and you think "you know, I could really use a tablet right now".

Aug 23, 11 at 6:43am
hiigaran

actually, one more question...how do you know where you are drawing? im assuming you have no visual indication on your tablet.

Aug 22, 11 at 11:39pm
Isilwen

I got a Wacom Bamboo Tablet a few years back and I've only really created one proper piece on it that was completly free hand in Photoshop. The rest of the pieces I've created have been vector ones that I could have really just done with the mouse, although the tablet has made it a lot easier.

That being said though, I don't regret it and definitley think you should get one if it's not too expensive. It really makes a diffrence to sigs too if you want to focus on smudging, the pen pressure makes it a lot easier. So yeah, go for it! I'd probably use mine a lot more if I weren't so lazy sometimes.