Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Final Fantasy » Xenogears » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Echo Grass Moogle Moogle Phoenix Down

hideOriginal Post

Jul 09, 11 at 5:34amCyanide

Keeping with Zeta's format...

Xenogears follows protagonist Fei Fong Wong and several others as they journey to uncover the truth behind mysterious, cabalistic entities operating in their world. The principles and philosophies of Friedrich Nietzsche, Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and Jacques Lacan influence the plot, character design, and world of Xenogears. Additionally, the symbols, theological concepts, and devotional practices of several world religions are represented in fictionalized forms in the game. Major psychological themes are the nature of identity and human memory, particularly as these relate to the phenomenon of dissociative identity disorder. The relationship between humanity and machines is central to the game's plot, as indicated by the presence of giant robots dubbed "gears," which almost each playable character can control.
Xenogears is a game I haven't seen mentioned much on the forums yet. I recommend it to all who need another good Sqauresoft game in their lives. The game is 2 disks long (it was supposed to be longer, but it was rushed out into the market) but is a great game with Anime-style FMVs. However, it doesn't have many FMVs so it didn't fall victim to Square Enix Syndrome. The battle system is a breath of fresh air, although it does keep the turn based combat system. The gears are a fun feature that you can fight with, and really bring two perspectives to the same game.

So go out, and get it. It's an instant classic for the PSX.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 26, 12 at 2:39pm
The Ginger Dude

Xenogears is one of my all-time fav. in both rpgs and games period, I recently found one about two weeks ago for around $60, Unfortunetly when i grab a old-timer i used to play, It takes awhile for me to play them, Reason is i have it so no need to rush or anything...Also i'm too lazy to hook up my ps1 now.

I'm waiting for Xenoblade to arrive still since i'm from Murrica,Expecting great things from this that is forged from God's very flame.

Feb 14, 12 at 1:54pm
Ultravegeta

One of the bosses should give you a tough fight. Won't spoil it for you.

But overall, the game is relatively easy. It's all about the strong storyline and characters. I love the fun battle system as well. Learning your characters' final moves is cool! ;D

Feb 14, 12 at 9:08am
Two_Step

I'm still trying to get myself to play this god damn game. Its odd, when I can get the motivation to play it, I love every second, but its getting myself to play it thats hard.

I really hope theres a difficulty curve later on, because as I stated previously this game is piss easy so far, and I'm about 25 hours in.

Dec 14, 11 at 1:50am
Ultravegeta

Best RPG ever imo.

Oct 05, 11 at 4:20am
Two_Step

quote miragedres
Although I love this RPG I don't know that it is for everyone. Semi-complex battle system, HEAVY religious lore, and some of the toughest battles this side of the Mason-Dixon line. It is awesome and one of my favorites but when recommending it to my friends not many of them liked it.
I'm actually breezing through the game right now. I'm only 20 hours in but I'm finding the game to be extremely easy with a semi-challenging boss here and there. Though I do agree that this game is not for everyone. The cutscenes in this game are long and the pacing is pretty out of whack sometimes. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the story from what I know so far.

Oct 04, 11 at 3:39pm
Miragedres

Although I love this RPG I don't know that it is for everyone. Semi-complex battle system, HEAVY religious lore, and some of the toughest battles this side of the Mason-Dixon line. It is awesome and one of my favorites but when recommending it to my friends not many of them liked it.

Oct 04, 11 at 3:29pm
Hell Fire

Do yourself a favour. After Skyrim and Dark Souls, stop ordering/buying/downloading games and play it! I was about ten years late and I regret it big time. It should have been played as soon as I got it.

Oct 04, 11 at 3:09pm
BrokenKnights

I really want to get into all the RPGs I missed, but I'm so busy right now that I actually have Dark Souls sitting on my counter STIL IN THE PLASTIC

Oct 04, 11 at 2:59pm
Hell Fire

quote BrokenKnights
I tried starting up Xenogears SOOO many times back around when it was released. For whatever reason I just could NOT get through the beginning.
I was in the same boat. I played the first 5 hours or so a couple times then left it for other things. A couple of years ago I finally decided to crank it out. Bloody hell it was amazing. It could quite easily make it up to my top 5 RPGs which is saying a lot. The story is absolutely fantastic!

Playing Xenoblade at the moment. Amazing game too

Oct 01, 11 at 1:05am
Two_Step

The game from what I heard is still pretty lengthy, clocking in at around 50 hours to complete, so I can't imagine how long the game will be if it was 4 discs long.