Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Final Fantasy » The Vault -- Underappreciated RPG Gems » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Echo Grass Moogle Moogle Phoenix Down

hideOriginal Post

Jul 04, 11 at 10:36pm

I'm sure everyone has a slew of RPGs they've played that didn't make a big slash (or at least I'm hopeful). Let's use this thread to open up the vault and spill. Here are mine. I'm sure I'll add more as I remember them.

GRANDIA 2

Release Date: March 22, 2002
Developer: UbiSoft
Consoles; Dreamcast, PS2, PC
Genre: JRPG

The Grandia series features one of the most exciting battle systems in the library of JRPGs. Everything is constantly moving and trade offs need to be made between dishing out damage and canceling enemy actions -- taking into consideration things like distance and attack velocity.

While Grandia 3 carries the most polished version of the battle system, Grandia 2 brings with it loveable characters and a great story. A must play for JRPG fans. (Grandia 1 is available via PSN)

ARC THE LAD: THE COLLECTION

Release Date: April 18, 2002
Developer: Working Designs
Consoles; PSone, PSN
Genre: JRPG

Arc the Lad is a personal favorite of mine. The Collection covers Arc the Lad 1, 2, and 3. All 3 games sport a grid-based battle system, ala Final Fantasy Tactics. It boats an impressively epic story and a wide cast of characters. You meet the "heroes" in the Arc the Lad one and then "Hunters" in Arc the Lad 2. When the two teams collide, the game expands into an enormous universe that is pretty hard to fathom. The ability to catch monsters raises the number of playable characters to 30+, each of which is truly nique and memorable.

A great game, with great characters, and good retro style music. Definitely not for everyone, but certainly worth trying.

ROGUE GALAXY

SUIKODEN

Legend of the Dragoon

Valkyria Chronicles

Shadow Hearts Covenant

I'll put profiles up for those soon.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Nov 10, 11 at 8:18am
Gryzor

Shadowrun. It has a good enough story, but it's the gameplay that's strong. I find it especially funny that this much more of a detective game than LA Noire, which was basically a 3D Phoenix Wright (psst, Team Bondi - why copy the Japs when you could've copied fellow Aussies, Beam Software? Just asking).

Also seconding Lukas on the whole Lost Odyssey being a more refined version of Blue Dragon.

Nov 04, 11 at 12:20pm
Makeaton

Gothic for the PC is good game. Perhaps not very known. but a gem none the less. It's a spiritual successor to the Ultima series. The original game is in German, but EU and USA versions are also to be found.
Also, Gothic 2. It was already mentioned in this thread, but i feel it deserves some love.

Oct 20, 11 at 11:38pm
Lukas

quote The Pursuit
I have yet to try blue dragon though.
I liked Blue Dragon, but after Lost Odyssey, well, let's just say it's a good thing I traded it in. Lost Odyssey is like a grittier, more refined version of Blue Dragon. Funny enough, both are 360 exclusives... you'd think they be on the PS3. Funny how that works.

Oct 17, 11 at 10:37pm
Vicarious

quote Monterey Jack
quote lucedeoangel
And Enchanted Arms was a great game too.
Well it was certainly better than that *bleep*en Blue Dragon game, that's for sure!

And am I the only one here who liked the Summon Night: Swordcraft Story games on the GBA? Haven't played the others because most of them weren't released out of Japan (well there's a DS game or two that has, but I don't have a DS).
Eh, enchanted arms was okay but nothing special and very tedious. I have yet to try blue dragon though.

Oct 17, 11 at 10:29pm
lucedeoangel

Eternal Sonata was educational. I walked into my Music class and baffled my teacher with my Chopin knowledge.

Oct 16, 11 at 1:35am
Monterey Jack

Mate I *bleep*en loved Eternal Sonata, but I try to mention games that haven't been mentioned before in a thread.

quote BrokenKnights
Snow (punching girl), and Julia?? (the bow/cat girl)
Falsetto and Viola.

Oct 15, 11 at 8:59pm
BrokenKnights

quote Tam85
Im glad to see I wasnt the only one who liked eternal sonata.My husband wouldnt shut up about how bad it was so once I beat it I had to sell it;(
I love a game with a lot of characters, but there were WAAAAY too many for me. Especially with 3 battle character restriction.

I forget their names, but I think my team was Allegretto (main character), Snow (punching girl), and Julia?? (the bow/cat girl) for healing. There were about 10 other people I wanted to use also, lol. Namely Chopin (or whatever his name was in the game...)

Oct 14, 11 at 6:25pm
Tam85

Im glad to see I wasnt the only one who liked eternal sonata.My husband wouldnt shut up about how bad it was so once I beat it I had to sell it;(

Oct 14, 11 at 4:47am
Monterey Jack

quote lucedeoangel
And Enchanted Arms was a great game too.
Well it was certainly better than that *bleep*en Blue Dragon game, that's for sure!

And am I the only one here who liked the Summon Night: Swordcraft Story games on the GBA? Haven't played the others because most of them weren't released out of Japan (well there's a DS game or two that has, but I don't have a DS).

Oct 05, 11 at 6:40pm
BrokenKnights

quote Two_Step
Not under appreciated, but not known by many. Lots of RPG fanatics I talk to around campus (and at other places) have no idea the game exists. Sorry for the confusion.
Haha, no I knew exactly what you meant. I was just talking up one of my favorite RPGs. A lot of younger kids think I'm talking about Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi when I say Mario RPG.