Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Neoseeker's ASUS UEFI BIOS Review » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.

hideOriginal Post

Jun 14, 11 at 12:56amleochan

We look at ASUS' implementation of the new UEFI BIOS, a software interface specification intended to be a user-friendly replacement of existing BIOS firmware. Does it mean it will shed much of what overclockers appreciated in the trusty BIOS firmware of today?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 04, 13 at 3:35pm
mazhar abbas

new technology difficult for the users.i buy asus computer having H81M-E motherboard and when install windows 7 it doesn,t enter to operating system.and bios r so difficult to understand so i decided to back computer if i couldn,t find solution.any body can guide?

Sep 06, 13 at 6:12am
The Smith

Hi Adam,

Are you talking specifically about the ASUS UEFI?

Personally, I am still using that very same board used for this review and have no problem whatsoever. I have both Linux and Windows 7 installed. From a USB key, I can boot Ubuntu and Arch Linux without any fuss, but I haven't tried other distros. The choice of OS is handled by GRUB, which is installed on /dev/sda.

I believe in some pre-built computers, there is a protection against other OSes, called secureboot. As always, you always get less for your money when buying pre-built.

Sep 05, 13 at 8:13pm
Adam

At his point I'm fed up with efi. To many restrictions. Can't do a system restore. Won't fix MBR with cmd thru repair disc. Won't boot Linux. Now grub is stuck in the MBR and it's not possible to fix. Boot order has to be in a certain order now since grub is on MBR. Have to boot to windows boot manager. The 3D bios and GUI is just stupid and isn't needed. They don't need to look how it is. Maybe just so it functions yet still is easy to look at. Mouse also lags while in the "BIOS". Diffrent brands have whole diffrent UEFI setups so it's difficult to google things cause u never get the same answer. Idk I could go on but I'm try to figure out how to figure out why I can't reinstall win7 on my HD. Prolly cause of EFI protection ...

Dec 30, 12 at 12:54pm
zeroday1

I have to say that I also agree with the fact that people who don't know what they are doing should not mess with the BIOS...That being said...one could only stand to benefit from taking some courses at school...like the old saying goes, "Knowledge is power."

Dec 30, 12 at 12:47pm
zeroday1

I think the UEFI BIOS used by ASUS is quite intuitive. Yes, there may be some aspects of it that could stand to be improved but overall it is a much better option than the old BIOS.

Even for a tech, it just makes sense because it streamlines most of the options in a better interface and it gives a lot more descriptions about its components than the old BIOS, which is a nice feature even for an expert.

Again, one could make the argument that its not perfect...but then again...what is...or...who is for that matter?...

We'll always find new ways to improve things as the years come and go. That's what keeps driving ingenuity and the need to keep moving forward.

I agree that they could organize the interface a lot better, include more comprehensive descriptions and use less resources but for the sake of saving time and being more accessible to the average user, it just makes sense.

And who knows, maybe tweaks that follow in the years to come will take into account these factors that are obviously a concern to many...

Jun 17, 12 at 7:10pm
ashantiqua

a computer i recently built for a friend has a mobo with uefi bios.

i really dont care how the settings are organized, how the UI looks, etc., i just care about the actual settings youre giving me to play around with, and his mobo has a lot of settings juicy settings (e.g. individual system fan profiles).

Jun 17, 12 at 2:29pm
criticalconstructive

Hey man!

Big thanks for your quick reply.
I'm definitely gonna buy the Asus A75 mainboard.
I don't go for aggressive overlclocking CPU and GPU, but for RAM. RAM is the bottle-neck at APUs, especially at the ones with powerful GPU units.
Thanks again and best from Austria.

Jun 16, 12 at 2:32pm
The Smith

quote criticalconstructive
I am going to buy an A8-3870K this month and need a good mainboard for it. I favourize the Asus F1A75-V Pro.
I want to overclock DDR3-RAM from 1866 to 2000-2133 MHz.
I will also overclock CPU and GPU, but only some MHz.

And therefore 1 information, very important, which I was unable to find in manual or reviews:
Does the Asus F1A75-V Pro also support a GPU clock-divider or a separate setting-option for the GPU clock in BIOS?

It would be great, if you could answer this question.
Hi!

Have a look at our A75 motherboard roundup recently published. On the page about overclocking, you will see a screenshot with the GPU divider decreased to 4.5 instead of the stock 6, so yeah the ASUS boards have that setting, and lots more. Along with the reference clock increase, that gave 976MHz. Take a peek at the performance in the following pages, it's quite impressive.

Good luck with your build!

Jun 16, 12 at 2:26pm
criticalconstructive

I am going to buy an A8-3870K this month and need a good mainboard for it. I favourize the Asus F1A75-V Pro.
I want to overclock DDR3-RAM from 1866 to 2000-2133 MHz.
I will also overclock CPU and GPU, but only some MHz.

And therefore 1 information, very important, which I was unable to find in manual or reviews:
Does the Asus F1A75-V Pro also support a GPU clock-divider or a separate setting-option for the GPU clock in BIOS?

It would be great, if you could answer this question.

Jan 31, 12 at 5:32pm
malmsteenisgod

I have the MSI X79A-GD65 (8D) and I can't think of anything that I dislike about it. In fact I think it's pretty incredible. MSI has this thing called MSI Winki, which allows you to use a web browser and a ton of other stuff within UEFI, which is a really nice feature when you just want to look up some of the terms or overclocking features or when you're having some hardware issues or boot issues and you need to use the internet.

Being able to use the mouse is a nice feature, but not necessary. Having the option to use the mouse never hurts.

And so what if it has auto overclocking features? If one doesn't like them, one doesn't have to use them.