Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Ghostbusters: The Video Game » A Few Questions » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.

hideOriginal Post

May 27, 11 at 3:32amChiroVette

Hey I installed this game on my laptop in October but just started playing it now. Anyway, I am on the highest skill level and I just finished the hotel level and now am chasing after the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and his minions.

Anyway, I am just going through the storyline now. Can I go back to collect everything later? Because I am kind of blowing off all the collections and scans unless they are so obvious they fall into my lap.

Also, I am having a lot of trouble "finishing" enemies. I keep getting them down to really low health, like two or three little red bars, and they keep regenerating back up to three bars. Meanwhile, the game keeps telling me to hit the right trigger (using a 360 PC controller) but the entities keep escaping and then semi-recharging their health and I have to try capturing them again.

Is there a trick to finishing them off? I assume I am missing something. I try to hit the left trigger when I get the prompt and jerk the left analog stick toward the trap. Am I supposed to be using the right stick?

Oh and I haven't purchased any upgrades yet. Which ones do you guys recommend?

Final question: I keep destroying tons of stuff and am collecting a lot of money, but it doesn't seem to get added to my upgrade money. Why is that?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 01, 11 at 12:26am
Stitch

quote ChiroVette
Let me ask you something: Is there any reason or reward for collecting all the artifacts and scans? I ask because it is VERY tedious.
Well, the reason for it is probably so you kinda have a nice decoration of collectables at the Ghostbusters HQ.
As a reward, most likely a trophy.
Apart from that, there's not much of a point but to collect money to unlock stuff early on.

Not only that but I don't need the money. Hell, I had ALL the weapon/equipment upgrades like three levels ago and finished the game with almost $100,000.00.
Yeah, that kinda sucks, it's not like GTA where you can go in your free time spending money on pimping out your car, but I guess in imaginitive thinking it should be enough to pay off the damage they might have cost.

I will say this, though. I think I may restart the game just for shits and giggles and pure enjoyment on a lower skill level. Because while I beat the game in a few days on the highest difficulty, the truth is that so much of it was insanely frustrating. to the point where I really didn't enjoy a good portion of it. When you have to play the same part of a level, some three minute segment over and over and over again for hours, it really sucks the fun out of it for me.
Yeah, that's why I like to play games on a relax level.

It's a great Ghostbusters game, with the original cast even.
I think someone like Bill Murray is probably hard to pursuade to do this sorth of thing.
I'm kinda glad he joined up, too bad that Rick Moranis and Sigourney Weaver didn't joined along for this game.
Rick because he's kinda in a retirement fase.
And Signourey didn't want to at first, but did kinda changed her mind when she heard all of the cast, including Bill Murray joined up for the game, she wanted in to, but it was too late, script got changed, and in her replacement came Alyssa Milano, unfortunaly to late.

Also fun is that Bill Murray's Brothers also joined up for this game, with Brian-Doyle Murray doing the voice of the Mayor,(Who also appeared in Ghostbusters 2 as the Doctor in the nuthouse), and Joel Murray doing some additional voices.

They even had the original voice for that guy in that painting, saying some funny lines when you press a button infront of it at the Ghostbusters Headquarters.

And ofcourse, William Atherton, reprising his role as Walter Peck.
A character he kinda hated, because at the time after the movie came out, he sometimes got insulted or booed at because people didn't see him for the actor, but as Walter Peck, sometimes he got into actuall fights because of that roll.

In the behind the scenes feature on the disc, he does kinda smile about it, while saying: "It's hard to get rid of old Peck.", he's the perfect guy for it, I guess.
Walter Peck must be a very hatefull character if people even hate the actor who played him, I guess he played the part too good.

But yeah, this game is a great nostalgia game for Ghostbusters fans.
You actually feel like an actuall Ghostbuster in training, since the guy you play, nameless, doesn't talk, except yell occasionally, is a new recruit, kinda funny that they didn't give him a name at all, and just call him Greenhorn, tenderfoot, cadet, Trainee, new guy etc.
Too bad you can't enter your own name to be displayed on his chest, since everyone refers him to new guy names, it would not matter, would be sweet if you could see your own name displayed on the chest of his Ghostbusters suit.
Oh well, guess they didn't think of that one when they made the game.

May 31, 11 at 8:38pm
ChiroVette

Well I beat the game on Professional, but the developers really are stupid for making it that difficult at certain parts of the game. Let me ask you something: Is there any reason or reward for collecting all the artifacts and scans? I ask because it is VERY tedious. Not only that but I don't need the money. Hell, I had ALL the weapon/equipment upgrades like three levels ago and finished the game with almost $100,000.00.

I will say this, though. I think I may restart the game just for shits and giggles and pure enjoyment on a lower skill level. Because while I beat the game in a few days on the highest difficulty, the truth is that so much of it was insanely frustrating. to the point where I really didn't enjoy a good portion of it. When you have to play the same part of a level, some three minute segment over and over and over again for hours, it really sucks the fun out of it for me.

May 30, 11 at 8:25pm
Stitch

quote ChiroVette
Hey, dumb question: I find all the weapons except the upgraded Blast Stream and Boston Darts to be pretty useless. So far, I haven't used the other weapons at all unless the game demands that I do, like it does in certain spots for the slime and for the slime tether. Is this normal? If not, what are the other weapons good for? Because I have not found any of them to be particularly useful, an I am now at the beginning Return to Hotel Sedgwick. Is that odd?
Nah, it's just that some ghost have certain weakspots where these other ones are of good use.
Some of them are weak against slime, other ones are weak against that blue one, usually you can just use your standard stream against them aswell.

But they are all a bit usefull, although, I personaly don't use the Blue stream one myself a lot, I either use the slime one, the standard stream one, or the one that kinda shoots fireballs like a machine gun and can also shoot somehting that can stick onto an ghost for a few seconds, you'll see somehting burning on them when you shoot that one, and then use the fireballs one to guide those fireballs to the sticky burning one attached to the ghost.

Some of the upgrades and new weaponry equiptment might seem useless, but they're pretty usefull on some occasions.

I sometimes guest a bit of what kind of weapon on the potron pack seems good to use in whatever ghost or creature it might be in the situation.
I find them all usefull, except for the blue one, that kinda seems less usefull then the others to me.

May 29, 11 at 10:27pm
ChiroVette

Maybe I should take a little while and go back through the first four levels and gather up all the scans and captures so I can get more upgrades, Stitch. Then again, I am through the first four levels, so perhaps I should just try to move on and worry about the collectibles later.

Edit: Wow this game is pretty generous with money. I just beat the big fat Chairman of the Board ghost.

Anyway, the game just gave me my fourth weapon and I earned enough upgrade cash on the last level to upgrade everything all the way except for two upgrades on the final weapon slot.

Hey, dumb question: I find all the weapons except the upgraded Blast Stream and Boston Darts to be pretty useless. So far, I haven't used the other weapons at all unless the game demands that I do, like it does in certain spots for the slime and for the slime tether. Is this normal? If not, what are the other weapons good for? Because I have not found any of them to be particularly useful, an I am now at the beginning Return to Hotel Sedgwick. Is that odd?

May 29, 11 at 10:25pm
Stitch

quote ChiroVette
Those give you money toward upgrade purchases, too?
Yeah, I think so.
Ray did explained during the Hotel bit when you kinda got introduced to scanning that collecting those stuff will earn you money for new upgrades, which in return you will use on your backpack.
Scanning ghosts and scanning/collecting artifacts will contribute along with earning money.

That and catching ghosts will earn money.

You can see what will earn money by an icon telling it.
If you destroy stuff, you will see the costs of it with a pictogram of a broken glass.
If you scan and catch ghost, a pictogram of the Trap will be instead in it's place to show the amount of money you earned by that.

If it also shows that when collecting an artifact, then you'll know, since i'm not sure, I'm hardly paying attention to screen pop-up stuff if there's stuff going on.

May 29, 11 at 10:10pm
ChiroVette

Yeah, exactly, Stitch. It is a nutcase level. I just finished the Library level, and basically I purchased all the upgrades for the Boston Darts and Blast Stream as well as both the trap upgrades (there were two of them) which kind of helped. I also have one of the cheaper slime upgrades, but that's pretty much it. Right now, as I said, survival on this level of difficulty is more important. I am trying to remember to take scans of all the enemies I meet, but have missed a bunch along the way. I have also found very few artifacts, to be honest, but since I can replay levels, I can always go for them later. Those give you money toward upgrade purchases, too?

May 29, 11 at 9:50pm
Stitch

quote ChiroVette
Well, I seem to be getting better at trapping but it is a little weird trying to steer the spirits into the traps. As for upgrading the scan equipment, *bleep* THAT! lol I am too busy trying to stay alive, so all my money is going into upgrading my weaponry! After I have upgraded all the weapons to full, only then will I upgrade scanning equipment. Hell, I can always go back and play those previous levels where the upgrades will help me find stuff, right? Bottom line, is I need help surviving right now, not scanning!
Well, through Scanning new Ghost for the Spirit Guide, a succesfull complete scan of the ghost will earn you money that you can use for your upgrades.
If you upgrade your scan equiptment, it will be easier to scan them, and the waiting time between seconds when you failed or incomplete a scan, and have to retake it will be shorter.
Upgrading your Traps will also make it easier to trap a ghost, like I said with the Superslam ability on the trap, so you can slam a ghost in it with a perfect aimed slam, instead of holding it in the light that sucks the ghost in.

But you can do it the way you like with upgrading it, you usually get enough cash to buy everything before the end of the game, if you want to upgrade your protonpack first, then that's cool, but sometimes the not so important equiptment can be of great influence of income or other stuff to get easier or quicker.

But on the other hand; you are playing on a nutcase level.

May 29, 11 at 2:39am
ChiroVette

Well, Stitch, the good news is it looks like you can repeat levels you missed stuff in, because when I go into "Career" it asks me what level I want to play, and seems to only allow you to go back to levels you completed or are in now.

Anyway, man this game is absurdly difficult on the highest difficulty level, but I am going to try to stick it out. The Opera Diva section was murder, because there are just too many enemies and whether or not your partners can revive you seems bizarre and arbitrary! Many times I would revive Dr V or his partner and immediately as the person I revived gets up, I get killed and sometimes they don't revive me even after I revived them a second ago, which is weird.

Well, I seem to be getting better at trapping but it is a little weird trying to steer the spirits into the traps. As for upgrading the scan equipment, *bleep* THAT! lol I am too busy trying to stay alive, so all my money is going into upgrading my weaponry! After I have upgraded all the weapons to full, only then will I upgrade scanning equipment. Hell, I can always go back and play those previous levels where the upgrades will help me find stuff, right? Bottom line, is I need help surviving right now, not scanning!

May 27, 11 at 11:19pm
Stitch

quote ChiroVette
Okay, I had to give up for a while because I was getting really frustrated. I am playing on Professional, the highest skill level, and I am stuck on the Times Square level.
My solution would be to sett it to a lower level then that.

If you think Times Square is tough at the Opera house on that level, Imagine of how hard it later on might be for you.
Because some bits can even be a bit tough on the lowest level even.

Maybe that's why you might have trouble holding a ghost on that level.

I always pick the easiest level, because I like to play relaxed.
So, I can't say for sure how the game works on any higher level then that.

But it seems like you're in for a good beatin'.

May 27, 11 at 11:02pm
ChiroVette

lol Yeah that would be a great job, Stitch!

Okay, I had to give up for a while because I was getting really frustrated. I am playing on Professional, the highest skill level, and I am stuck on the Times Square level. It is the level with the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and I cannot get past the section with the Opera Divas, at least partly because I cannot trap them fast enough. But no matter how many times I revive my comrades, I get killed and they can't revive me. There are just too many enemies on in the open environment to keep track of, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how they shoot at you, so dodging is almost impossible. Add to that the fact that one or two hits and you are down for the count and the level seems absurdly arbitrary.