Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » General Nintendo 3DS » Streetpass Questions » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

DS Logo Animal Crossing New Leaf Castlevania Lord of Shadow Cooking Mama DKC Returns 3D Dead or Alive Dimensions Ace Attorney Dual Destinies Fire Emblem Awakening Harvest Moon A New Beginning Kid Icarus Uprising Luigis Mansion Dark Moon Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Mario Kart 7 Dream Team Monster Hunter 4 New Super Mario Bros 2 Amsey Sigma Squiggle Heibai Swampert X Eiche Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy Pokemon X Pokemon Y Project X Zone Resident Evil Revelations Rune Factory 4 Mario 3D Land Shin Megami Tensei IV Sonic Generations Star Fox 64 3D Paper Mario Sticker Star Tales of the Abyss

hideOriginal Post

Apr 15, 11 at 7:30pmshadowJay

So I've had my 3DS since the launch date and I LOVE it. Streetpass is definitely one of my favorite features, even though it won't be fully utilized until more people start to get one. However, there are a few things about it I don't fully understand, and even though I've researched them, I really want to have some definite answer from a reliable source.

1. What is the range on Streetpass?

2. Does it have be "shaken" to simulate walking in order to connect with another system?

3. How long does it take to connect?

4. I know this kind of reflects on the previous three questions, but if my 3DS is in the car with me while I am driving, and I pass another car with a 3DS, will it connect with that system?

5. How many times can it be done in a day? I've Streetpassed anywhere from 1 to about 3 times with the same person in one day.

6. What determines how many times it will Streetpass with a single person per day? I've noticed a few factors that seemed to effect it:
If the person I Streetpassed with leave each other (in my case it was roughly 4+ hours, and as much as 30 miles apart) then meet up again, we MIGHT Streetpass again.
Also, I've Streetpassed with a person, edited my Mii, then Streetpassed with them again. I'm not sure about the time intervals or distance on this one, I just know it happened within a day.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated on the topic. Especially if it is from a legit source. I've looked around on Nintendo's website, but unless they've updated it since then, or I'm blind, I didn't see the answers to any of my questions.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

May 14, 12 at 11:53pm
dajayeway

i changed the date on my system to 1/1/2050 to get extra streetpass coins, and when i changed it back (i made sure connectivity was off whilst i was in 'the future')I am now able to connect to the same person as many times in a day as I want. Why would this happen?

Apr 15, 11 at 8:43pm
bbb7002004

I've gotten 10 streetpasses with the same person. The level maxes out at 7, which makes for a fairly beastly Mii Warrior.

Apr 15, 11 at 8:08pm
bond007106

Well for 1, it's the standard range for the 3DS' wireless connections, so it stands to reason that it would be the same for Street Pass.
For 3, the guys at GameCentral informed me (although i can't seem to find the article).
And for 2, 4, 5 and 6, it's just a combination of existing knowledge and trial and error.
quote bbb7002004
Puzzle doesn't help at all, as you would just be exchanging the same pieces over and over. My question is whether or not multiple streetpasses with the same person gives you multiple copies of that Mii in Streetpass Quest (Find Mii).
As long as you've already 'used' that Mii from the last time you collected it, then yes.
Each time you encounter the person again, their Mii in Quest goes up 1 level. The best i've got so far is having encountered the same person 3 times, so last time i used them in Quest, they were lv.3.

Apr 15, 11 at 8:07pm
shadowJay

I agree, although it would almost be like cheating in Find Mii...
bond007106, where did you find this information?

Apr 15, 11 at 8:01pm
bbb7002004

Puzzle doesn't help at all, as you would just be exchanging the same pieces over and over. My question is whether or not multiple streetpasses with the same person gives you multiple copies of that Mii in Streetpass Quest (Find Mii).

Apr 15, 11 at 7:57pm
bond007106

In theory, yes. I've never tried it in practice, though. It doesn't seem a terribly efficient way of collecting Street Pass data. Especially not for the Puzzle.

Apr 15, 11 at 7:50pm
shadowJay

quote bond007106
6)Once you have opened your 3DS and received that person data, you can then Street Pass them again.
So theoretically, I should be able to Street Pass as many times as I want with the same person in one day? This never seems to work for me. I can usually only Street Pass about once per day, per person.

Apr 15, 11 at 7:46pm
bbb7002004

I don't think Nintendo has expounded upon a lot of your questions. I'd say the street pass range is around 10-15 feet, as me and my sister both have one and have activated the system while walking around, one system in the house near a window and the other outside. The inside system in that example was stationary and in the charge cradle, so shaking is not necessary. I think the actual connection is very fast, but when it actually registers varies. usually my sister and I will notice the streetpass light after just a few minutes of both of us having it on. As for a car, I imagine it would depend heavily on your speed and the amount of interference on the road from radios and such. I'd say chance are good on a highway, where lots of traffic stays close to each other for a decent amount of time and chances are very poor if you're talking about a normal two lane road with opposing traffic.

I have no idea about the times per day, we've only gotten once per day so far.

Apr 15, 11 at 7:42pm
bond007106

1)Up to 100ft. The precise range will vary depending on what obstacles may be in the way, or how much it is hidden in your pocket or bag.

2)No. Just in sleep mode with the wireless on.

3)About a second.

4)Maybe. It would depend greatly on the thickness of the metal on the cars' body work (which can block the signal) and on the closing speed of the two cars - if you pass too quickly, it won't have time to connect. For that reason, you probably would have better luck on a multi-lane road (although the body work of the car may still end up being too thick).

5)There is no limit to the number of times you can Street Pass in total or with the same person per day. The only limit is on how many you can receive at once, before having to open your 3DS and actually receive the data in Mii Plaza, etc. However i don't actually know what this number is.

6)Once you have opened your 3DS and received that person data, you can then Street Pass them again.

Apr 15, 11 at 7:30pm
shadowJay

So I've had my 3DS since the launch date and I LOVE it. Streetpass is definitely one of my favorite features, even though it won't be fully utilized until more people start to get one. However, there are a few things about it I don't fully understand, and even though I've researched them, I really want to have some definite answer from a reliable source.

1. What is the range on Streetpass?

2. Does it have be "shaken" to simulate walking in order to connect with another system?

3. How long does it take to connect?

4. I know this kind of reflects on the previous three questions, but if my 3DS is in the car with me while I am driving, and I pass another car with a 3DS, will it connect with that system?

5. How many times can it be done in a day? I've Streetpassed anywhere from 1 to about 3 times with the same person in one day.

6. What determines how many times it will Streetpass with a single person per day? I've noticed a few factors that seemed to effect it:
If the person I Streetpassed with leave each other (in my case it was roughly 4+ hours, and as much as 30 miles apart) then meet up again, we MIGHT Streetpass again.
Also, I've Streetpassed with a person, edited my Mii, then Streetpassed with them again. I'm not sure about the time intervals or distance on this one, I just know it happened within a day.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated on the topic. Especially if it is from a legit source. I've looked around on Nintendo's website, but unless they've updated it since then, or I'm blind, I didn't see the answers to any of my questions.