Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Strange noises in netbook? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Mar 30, 11 at 7:56pmTwo_Step

I have an Asus Eee PC Seashell netbook. I do not run into any problems with performance (though I will probably update the Ram very soon).

However, in the bottom right corner area, it makes soft clicking/scratching noises that was never there before and everytime the netbook is on it makes this noise. In the bottom left corner area, it makes a really loud disc spinning sound that was also never there before, this noise does not happen as often though. Like said everything on my netbook works very well except for my network adapter, but thats probably because the internet connection in my dorm is god awful), but these noises has me concerned. Should I be concerned? Should I bring it into my local Best Buy? Or should I not even worry?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 11, 13 at 9:57am
prashanth

i also had the same problem 3 months back . . . . but suddenly, one day my hard drive failed and showed SMART status bad and hard disk problem. . .then i got replaced by new one. . . .but the thing is now also i am having the same problem (getting strange noises at the right bottom corner) . . .what might be the problem . .?
is it a indication for a failure again? or it is a manufacture defect ??

plz help

Feb 19, 12 at 9:53am
maleaco

quote Two_Step
would doing this void my warranty? I know some stores void your warranty if you unscrew anything on your laptop.
I sent my laptop back to ASUS in parts once and it didnt void the warrenty lol

Feb 18, 12 at 12:16am
Yorkieboy

I can hear the platter spinning in my Laptop's hdd (It's a faint sound that sounds like the disc drive spinning.) and it's been like that ever since I bought it at xmas. Everything works just fine so I wouldn't worry about it.

Feb 13, 12 at 11:38pm
Twpiatt

I am also having this happen to my netbook. Same make and model. Was there ever any outcome or findings?

Apr 01, 11 at 7:44am
hiigaran

yes it would. how much of your warranty do you have left?

if it is under warranty, then perhaps you could just take it in for a free fix in that case.

Apr 01, 11 at 4:03am
Two_Step

would doing this void my warranty? I know some stores void your warranty if you unscrew anything on your laptop.

Mar 31, 11 at 10:18pm
hiigaran

huh, im still not sure, as this doesnt give much much info...that ventilation area partly within the red rectangle could be an inlet for the cpu cooler, and if thats the case, perhaps it is a problem with the fan...perhaps a loose cable in the path of the fan? either way, youd have to open it up. judging by the image, it looks like you only have to take off a few screws to remove the cover, but make sure you put your screws in a small bowl or something, so you dont lose them.

Mar 31, 11 at 9:19pm
Two_Step

quote hiigaran
do you have an underside shot? the top doesnt mean much to me as i dont own that laptop, nor do i have a photo with a better angle, so i have no idea what the layout is on it. if there is a disk drive there, it definitely sounds possible that the drive is the cause.
Sorry, I should of thought of an underside shot, but here is the image, the color outlines mean the same as the other image, and no I do not have a disk drive on this netbook.

Mar 31, 11 at 9:03pm
hiigaran

do you have an underside shot? the top doesnt mean much to me as i dont own that laptop, nor do i have a photo with a better angle, so i have no idea what the layout is on it. if there is a disk drive there, it definitely sounds possible that the drive is the cause.

Mar 31, 11 at 8:41pm
Two_Step

I think a visual will help. When I looked at it it seems its coming from the whole area outlined in red, however, it seems more concentrated in the area outlined in blue. The area in blue does seem a little hotter than normal even when its on a hard surface. Does this help?