Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Silent Hill: Downpour » First to post! » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 29, 11 at 8:07pmsparky001

Well doubt this site has hardly any members anymore these boards used to be frequently used now it's all ign and gamespot pretty much.

This game is the last one I will give a chance and a hope of it returning to it's roots.

Now the developers brag how they understand Silent Hill and should be based in silent hill yet..............Nothing is familiar!!! I dont see any familiar streets or signs, and if they F up the combat and have it where weapons break after a few uses, or can only have like 1 then it's truly a series to forget about. I have hated it since silent hill 4, that game was aweful and the rest even more so.

This series has one more chance to redeem itself.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Apr 14, 12 at 3:20am
MissingScore

I'm now in Overlook Penitentiary still on my 1st playthrough, I have a feeling I'm nearing the end of the game but I can't be certain.

Anyway I mentioned in my previous post that I felt the side-quests I'd experienced didn't fit with Silent Hill. At that time I'd only come across the police patrol cars quest, the bank job quest and the homeless man quest. Now having experienced all the other side-quests (apart from digging up the past obviously) I have to say some of the others are really good and do fit with and feel like Silent Hill. It was just unfortunate that the 3 side quests I happened on first are arguably the 3 worst/most 'un-silent hill' side quests.

The story has really gone from strength to strength as well, I can't wait to have some of the questions I have answered. One of the things this game has absolutely nailed is the dropping of hints and raising of questions in the players mind through the use of memo's, letters, newspaper cuttings, etc. It really does give you the impression that all is not as it seems with several things the player may have thought were fact about certain characters and their backstory. And this type of thing is a real throwback to the Silent Hills of old.

I only hope the ending (or ending I get) doesn't disappoint now...

Apr 12, 12 at 9:17pm
KM

I'm still wandering around. My only goals are to escape Silent Hill (yea right) and Stop the Patrol Cars. I'm not sure how your supposed to stop them because as soon as they see you they unleash monster's that try to take you out. The weird thing is I came across a bird, in a cage on the porch of one of the houses. I released it and the game stated something like find more birds to free, but yet it's not listed in my objectives. Overall I do like the game and the graphics are cool.

Apr 12, 12 at 8:25pm
SerialZero

I'll sum up my post in the review thread by saying that I was quite pleased with this game as a whole.
I'm currently working on finishing up my second run-through. Hard puzzle, finished all my side quests, two stages away from finishing all my mysteries, and have all the items I need to get the joke ending when it's all said and done. XD
After that I should be able to platinum by doing a hard game difficulty no-kill nice-guy run.

Apr 11, 12 at 11:02am
MissingScore

I've just left/got through the 2nd trip to the 'otherworld' and have just entered the cinema. So I think I'm far enough through to give a reasonable opinion on this game.

I'll start by saying it's much, much better than the abysmal mess that was Homecoming. It isn't however up to the standard of the first 3 games, I don't think anyone was realistically expecting that though.

I like the rain dynamic, where enemies increase in numbers and difficulty as the intensity of the rain increases. I like the version of the 'otherworld' in this game. I like the way the games story seems to be going down the Silent Hill 2 route of the town punishing/tormenting good people that have done bad things, the story (as far as I am) is promisingly good.

There are however some things I don't like. The majority of the enemies so far have been singularly uninventive. The game uses an autosave only system but then doesn't allow repeat autosaving in the same spot meaning you've got to try and get to the next save point if you don't want to lose progress. The only exception to this is when in the streets of Silent Hill itself and entering/exiting buildings not required by the main thrust of the game. And that brings me to the side quests, they add extra things to do in the game but a lot of them just don't fit with Silent Hill. Perhaps the best example being stopping the enemies that are riding around in police patrol cars - enemies in Silent Hill driving around in cars? No, just no.

Overall if you're even remotely interested in Silent Hill you should get this game. Just don't expect too much.

Apr 11, 12 at 9:45am
KM

Boy this forum is dead. I'm actually shocked there aren't more posts. I just arrived in Silent Hill myself. I like the game so far eventhough carrying only one melee weapon at a time is a pain, but they do seem to last awhile. They definately seem to have expanded the town. The main thing I don't like about it is the autosave. I play this game late at night a lot and would like the option of being able to save whenever I want to instead of having to walk around trying to find an autosave point, or at least mark them on the map so I know where to go to save. I guess I'll have to go somewhere else if I have any questions.

Mar 13, 12 at 11:14am
Abyss Raider

Now you probably already know this since this is an old post, but yes, you can only carry one melee weapon at a time, and they break after extensive use, but you supposedly can use anything you find in the environment as a weapon. I'm not sure how faithful they've kept it to the other Silent Hill locations, but they've kept the nightmare world in, which is a huge plus. It's been getting pretty honest reviews, and actual gamers (not critics) have been giving it positive reviews. The only negative I've seen is IGN, but they never give games fair reviews anymore it seems to me.
On the topic about there not being any good games after three. I enjoyed The Room (Victim 7+8 being my favorite SH baddie right after Pyramid Head), and Origins was highly enjoyable too. I'm not saying they were on par with 2 and 3, but they were definitely good additions to the SH name in my opinion. The only disappointment to the series I've seen so far is Homecoming.
All in all I'm going to give Downpour a try, and probably come back here with a better opinion after getting to play it.

Jan 29, 11 at 8:07pm
sparky001

Well doubt this site has hardly any members anymore these boards used to be frequently used now it's all ign and gamespot pretty much.

This game is the last one I will give a chance and a hope of it returning to it's roots.

Now the developers brag how they understand Silent Hill and should be based in silent hill yet..............Nothing is familiar!!! I dont see any familiar streets or signs, and if they F up the combat and have it where weapons break after a few uses, or can only have like 1 then it's truly a series to forget about. I have hated it since silent hill 4, that game was aweful and the rest even more so.

This series has one more chance to redeem itself.