Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Showcases and Work Logs » Benedict's Rig » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Hello, and welcome to the Showcases and worklogs forum! This forum is primarily for users to post about their computers and discuss them. You are welcome to join in the discussion, and if you wish to create your own, please register! Its free!The Showcase forum is for people to 'brag' and show off their computers they have already built. If you are asking for advice on a computer you plan on building, please post that in the main forum.

Thanks.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 01, 11 at 2:17pmBenedict

i7-950 @ 3.63ghz, GTX 460

So yeah, that is it. As in, that is the PC. And it is a lot bigger than I expected.

Here are the full specs:

i7-950 @ 3.3ghz
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
Antec 1200 Case
850W Modular PSU
GTX 460 (1GB SC)
6GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz (Not at that atm (lower), need to edit stuff in the bios)
2TB (2x1tb) 7200.12 Seagate Hard Drives
Blu ray ROM/DVD RW in one
Ultra-120 eXtreme Heatsink with 1000rpm 120mm fan

Other stuff
One thing which I didn't expect is that the case fans are all Molex connectors. Nothing to go to the motherboard. It is very quiet though on low settings (you can ajust it), and sounds like a jet engine on high.

Benchmarks
Haven't done very many... but I've done 3dmark06 a couple of times. Heres the result of the one I did now (I've got a little higher):

Temperatures and stuff
On high fan speeds, with F@H running and a couple more programs, here are the temps:

With F@H off, it drops right down. Believe me. Running 3d mark or a game, the temps for the cores are 30-50 and GPU is about 50-60.

CPU-Z

Oh yeah, any voltages/whatnot where set by the program I OCed to 3.3 with... I haven't done it in the bios yet. I was just raising it to get over 20k for 3dmark with the mobo's software... anything which looks high?

Other Pictures

(Tempted to say Benedict's build, but that makes me sound like... dunno.)

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 07, 12 at 8:34am
Benedict

quote hiigaran
SSDs arent THAT great. okay sure, they have fast boot times and loading times, but thats all they are good for. even then, after two or three years, the performance starts to degrade significantly.

im guessing you overclock, yes?[/div]
obviously with a setup like that Yes.

Oct 06, 12 at 12:31pm
hiigaran

SSDs arent THAT great. okay sure, they have fast boot times and loading times, but thats all they are good for. even then, after two or three years, the performance starts to degrade significantly.

im guessing you overclock, yes?

Oct 06, 12 at 11:02am
Benedict

I was thinking of a i7 3930k, GTX 690/equivelent, both watercooled, for something that will last ages and would look and be awesome. No idea on a budget yet - but over £1000. I made a lot of mistakes with my first PC, eg lack of an SSD, memory isn't the best, etc.[/div]

Oct 05, 12 at 2:44pm
hiigaran

those are designed for workstation purposes, so they arent as optimised for gaming as mainstream video cards.

even if they do perform better in games, the jump in price would most certainly not be worth it.

Oct 05, 12 at 2:40pm
Benedict

Oct 05, 12 at 2:35pm
hiigaran

the 590 was basically two 570s. probably the same thing with the 6xx versions, but i couldnt be bothered looking it up right now.

Oct 05, 12 at 2:30pm
Benedict

2x680 then/1x690 (considering I believe they are identical)

Oct 05, 12 at 8:28am
hiigaran

^this. the third card scales badly, so you be better off with two more powerful cards, than three slightly less powerful ones.

unless they are all running as standalone.

Oct 05, 12 at 8:16am
harbin

Surely be an overkill no?

You'd be better of with a 690?

Oct 05, 12 at 8:13am
Benedict

quote harbin91
Made any changes to it? Or is it still performing strong?

[/div]
Nope. I realise now I need to get a new PC in the future, as the GTX 460 isn't the best any more. *wants 3x670*