Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Monster Hunter Freedom Unite » Wyvern or Dragon? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the forum! - Even as a guest, we hope you will enjoy yourselves and follow the forum guidelines!Please read over the updated Freedom Unite Forum Guidelines!.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Sooo Tasty Rathalos Cha-Cha Bow Deviljho Dual Blades Great Sword Gun Lance Hammer Heavy Bowgun Hunting Horn Lance Light Bowgun Long Sword Cha-Cha Zinogre Kirin Kushala Daora Tigrex Gigginox Ceadeus Rathian Switch Axe Sword and Shield Nargacuga Great Jaggi Lagiacrus Agnaktor Diablos

hideOriginal Post

Dec 29, 10 at 4:46pmDA_Ysuran

ok Terry , here's you a post, have fun, lol. ok so here it is, aside from being off topic in the juggy thread, can anyone explain what in MH is classified as a wyvern, dragon, fish, etc.?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 03, 12 at 5:48pm
RoyMilla

mostly wyverns

Jan 11, 11 at 10:48am
DA_Ysuran

BUMP!! discuss before i go rampaging in the 3rd forums of how much they suck for leaving!!! (... lol, jk )

Jan 02, 11 at 11:04am
FreedomHunter

quote Terry
quote Aus
quote ippiki_ookami
quote Aus
go use an SnS and get away from my Hammers.
I'll use whatever weapon I want, thank you very much.
Cool story, bro?
Too bad you suck *bleep* when it comes to hammers, though. You need a n00b weapon, sir--how 'bout TDS?

quote ippiki_ookami
quote Aus
hurrhurr
Compelling argument. I appreciate your input.
(post here even got removed)

quote Aus
^ Nagger.
He may not be trolling in every single post, but he is obviously a troll.
If you can't tell from those posts, get your troll detection fixed.

Now back to topic.
In my very first post about this topic (which was still in the Juggernaut topic) I already stated that the definition is vague to begin with. Wyverns generally have 2 legs, but can have 0 legs too, hence the origin of the word "vivere" = snake -> no legs.
Also the link you provided doesn't show shit.
I have been taken the info from Wikipedia, which is quoting from Pliny, who happens to be one of the earliest sources I have found. You bring up a link with a worldnetweb definition on top which contradicts itself in just 1 line (it states it is a dragon yet just being half dragon and half snake).

I keep seeing you stating books. Go ahead and link us to some or quote from them. Books can be found online too and if you base your argument on it, then show us a bit more details then just 'books say otherwise'. This is a discussion topic, not an "I say A, so A is universally right"-topic.

It may be true that Wikipedia isn't universally reliable either, but as stated before, if we are talking about historical courses, you can safely assume it is right. I'm not a wiki fanatic like you're trying to put me, but I know when I can assume Wiki is right and reliable and when it is not.
Teachers? Good joke. Teachers are humans too. They get at least 80% of their information from the same sources than you and me and everyone else. They aren't a library computer, you know.
I wonder where you get .... lets say biographical data from people who died ... from. Your private newspaper archive?

Btw, people like you shouldn't exactly call others morons. I dare to say I have better common sense than you (which your way to argue proves - you haven't names a single specific source yet, but you do insult others in your argument) and chances are I might be on my way getting a better education than you too. I for my part am working on getting my Bachelor of Arts at university.

Anyway, moving on to the more interesting and intelligent part of the discussion...kleo's post.

A bird is classified a bird when 'most' factors that birds have, or the most characteristic ones, the single species has too.
Example: Birds have wings, a beak, lay eggs, have a unique bone structure which usually enables them to fly (not going into details on this one) etc.
Penguins as well as chicken fit these criteria, so they are categorized as birds.
Same procedure with fishes, just with different criteria.
Whales and Dolphins if I'm not mistaken are not regarded fish because their birthing procedure is that of mammals.

And now on to cowboi:
While it may be true that it's the same word / letter in japanese, many japanese games go back to Western European or Norse Mythology. A perfect example is the Valkyrie Profile series or even Devil May Cry.
So we can assume that even if it's the same for the japanese in general, it was based on the wyverns from western mythology, so we can base our argument on these as well.
You stated a definition you got from the internet saying that they have 2 legs and sometimes 0, so I get google to show me definitions for it as well, and none stated 0 legs, making all your points invalid. You also didn't realize the little trap I implemented into my argument, obviously you where to blind to realize it. If your whole argument revolves on protection of your precious internet capability, why did you insult it, contradicting yourself?

Also the link you provided doesn't show shit.
So google gives me available definitions for it, yet you claim it doesn't show shit when this whole time you've been trying to state that the internet does show shit? that's the epitome of contradiction! My whole argument was not flawed and was full-proof from the start, you cannot poke holes through it as when you do so you're poking holes through your very own argument.

Books are and have always been a better source for info, now I am repeating myself. You even state that even your beloved wiki's take information from them books, so saying wiki is awesome, books aren't better is yet another contradiction.

You cannot safely assume anything. Wiki articles can be posted by ANYONE. Books are published by people who know their shit, and most likely their lives are based on researching that thing, in this case a wyvern book would be published by an wyvern expert, while a wyvern article on wiki can be published by some kid who plays runescape. If I had books on dragons or wyverns I would post some quotes I'm sure I do but I have better things to do with my time.

80%? Is that an actual statistic or yet another blunt uneducated accusation you came up with? I'm not a teacher, nor are you (god forbid you are) but I'm pretty sure teachers get majority of their info from the government, which is most likely printed in books then they take it and teach it to the class. Where do you think classroom activities and such come from? notes/books. What do you study from for doing a test? Books.

Better common sense? Oh right, you contradict yourself and even when you try to make me look like I contradicted myself it's you who did so. Unless you live in Canada or Holland, your education is inferior to mine. Bachelor of Arts? that's the easiest thing to get, you do know, and nowhere does it prove the slightest significant intelligence. Get one in science, then you can come back and say you're more intelligent. In all my years of HS (except 8/9 that doesn't matter) I've gotten a 3.5 or higher GPA and plan on becoming a video game developer/designer or I get lucky and my agent signs me to LA and I become an actor. 5 years from now you might be picking up my video games from gamestop or renting movies I'm in from Netflix and you wouldn't even know it.

My troll detection systems are amazing, however I didn't see any one of those posts you quoted, they must have gotten deleted before I could see them. You can obviously tell he's one of those premature 4chan trolls who have nothing better to do with his life (hence the hurrdurr and racist remarks, typical 4chan behavior).

I think we got off to a bad start, so I'm proposing we forgive&forget and move on with the past and focus with the current discussion at hand, I think this has gotten to far. What do you say?

Jan 01, 11 at 6:10pm
Xeros the Slayer

Chinese dragons aren't really even dragons, Lung are river spirits. They just happen to have a lot in common with the english definition of a dragon and as such inherited the label.

Kingdom
Animalia
Phylum
Chordata
Class
Tetrapoda
Order
Reptilia
Family
Bird Wyvern
Genus
Yian
Species
Kut-Ku/Garuga/Blue Kut Ku

Kingdom
Animalia
Phylum
Chordata
Class
Tetrapoda
Order
Reptilia
Family
Bird Wyvern
Genus
Prey
Species
Veloci

Kingdom
Animalia
Phylum
Chordata
Class
Tetrapoda
Order
Reptilia
Family
Flying Wyvern
Genus
Fire Wyvern
Species
Rathalos/Rathian

Jan 01, 11 at 11:26am
calvy

Yea I seem to remember putting that to back you up not dissagree with you - also this key word is mythical seeing as though I've never seen atenburgh (boro) can't spell his name: doing a wildlife documentary on dragons of the world (Komodo dragons don't count)

Dec 31, 10 at 5:22am
PreservationalMartyr

quote calvy
Remember lots of Chinese mythical dragons don't have wings but do have four legs and can fly - pres
key word mythical.
Key subject of my post I was talking about including Lindworms.
Another part of my post I mentioned the dragons in DBZ which are based on Asian myth.

Dec 31, 10 at 1:06am
TerryDimension

quote Wakaman
Lulz,so many damn spelling errers(<- on purpose)
I'm surprised I saw some from you too Terry.
That's because english isn't my first language and it isn't an official language in my country either (quite obviously in germany).
So the more we move away from the standard conversation with the every-day vocabulary, the more typos or grammatical errors you'll find in my post. If we could discuss this whole thing in german, I'm sure I would make less typos xDDD
And if I made any, you'd be less likely to find them too xP

And, I've found some posts in this topic somewhat offensive, which led to some semi-uncontrolled rage posts on my part. My brain usually goes into standby mode when doing so.

Dec 31, 10 at 12:34am
Wakaman

Lulz,so many damn spelling errers(<- on purpose)
in the first page made it hard as hell to understand the arguements.
I'm surprised I saw some from you too Terry.

And well kleo,some of us are 16+ in age,I'm 18 and dropped out of science engineering to persue my artistic goal.

I don't see why there is a thread on this to be honest.
Wyvern or lindworm or pseudo,Capcom completely *bleep*ed up when organizing them into categories.
I'll throw my $.02 too.
The legs aren't that important IMO,as some lindworms are portrayed as only having 2 front legs.

Dec 30, 10 at 11:10pm
calvy

Remember lots of Chinese mythical dragons don't have wings but do have four legs and can fly - pres

Dec 30, 10 at 9:51pm
DA_Ysuran

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

try using the organization of living things to list from wyverns to subspecies of dragons. imafatalis, he was referring to your bad day the other day, dont worry, it's cool, we all have 'em.