Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Books & Literature » eBooks - Death of the Printing Press? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Books & Literature forum! Have a seat, stay a while.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Dec 08, 10 at 10:22pmwalnuts

In light of Google's unveiling of it's own online eBook store, to take on industry heavyweights Amazon and Apple, are we starting to see the beginning of the end of traditional publishing? Will our morning newspaper be delivered wirelessly every morning to our tablet or smartphone instead of having the paper boy? Will we be asking authors to 'digitally sign' our copy of their book? Will youngsters whip out their iPhone 7 to read the latest edition of Superman, instead of wondering if the newsagent has got the edition in yet?

Or, is it just smoke in the water, and both can continue to co-exist alongside each other for many years to come, much the same way home video was supposed to kill off live TV and cinema's all those years ago.

Do you use eBooks? Do you like them? Or are you unwilling to shell out the cost for a device capable of reading eBooks just yet (they are truly quite expensive at this point in time)?

What do you think?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Aug 15, 12 at 5:34am
Angyles Cerddoriaeth

quote Wilhelm Ryan
If I'm going to get into a book, I'd much rather have the book in my hands physically, not on a device.
I am the opposite. I cannot imagine not having my Kindle. I am going on vacation later this week, and being able to carry 50+ books on one device is so amazing. Not to mention I do not have to go to the store to get a new book, I just have to turn on my wireless connection on the Kindle and get a new book.

I also LOVE Amazon's free books.

Aug 13, 12 at 6:11am
Wilhelm Ryan

I've never tried reading an eBook before. Never seemed to interest me that much. If I'm going to get into a book, I'd much rather have the book in my hands physically, not on a device. Yeah, I'm sure it's a hell of a lot easier... but I don't know, doesn't feel the same to me. Seems like the whole discussion on downloadable games overtaking physical games; that speculation has been going on for at least the past 4-5 years, and it hasn't happened yet. I don't ever see it happening, either.

Aug 01, 12 at 8:29am
Celes Leonhart

I know super duper old thread, but I use both. Much MUCH prefer physically owning books but the price in a mainstream book store is way too high for me to comfortably afford. I used to pick a lot of things up from charity shops but the way my life is right now is without much planning and as soon as I finish one book, I want the next one, and the Kindle opens that availability up to me. It's my phone as opposed to an actual Kindle though, I have 0% interest in owning one of those. My phone is simple and easily accessible, if I'm carrying a Kindle I might as well carry a book.

Jul 16, 12 at 2:08pm
carous Elambra

I like the smell of books. Digital print gives me migraines. I don't feel like I'm really enjoying the full experience of the book as an e-book. Feels like reading in the matrix.

Jul 15, 12 at 5:54pm
Virtue

I own a Kindle Fire and I have to say I like it a lot more than I thought I would. The font and page color options make it far easier to read than I first assumed. And as others stated already, it's incredibly convenient. Footnotes and other key resources are usually displayed as links along the pages, which saves a lot of time and frustration.

Regardless, I don't think in print books will ever become obsolete. There are some books that I'd rather have a physical copy of than just a download. While I think e-books will become more popular in the next few years (obviously), I just can't see it "ruining" the printing press.

Jul 15, 12 at 2:30pm
George2

Reminded me of this

I hope it's not the death of paper books though. Kindle's seem nice and all but I'll always rather hold an actual book to read.

Jul 12, 12 at 12:22am
Ketankumar

Printing Press and Literature
what relation between

If yes then describe details of relation.

May 31, 11 at 11:20pm
DaKiNg5343

if i can get a used book for $5 compared to $10 for a ebook, why bother? also, i find real books easier to keep tabs on when i;m writing essays. and better yet, i can go to a library and get books for free. i dunno how i would get ebooks for free. i doubt the library would be lending out $100 devices. and i sure am never pay that kind of money for a device not called a ps3

May 31, 11 at 10:28pm
lollipopz

I actually really want to try out a kindle just to see what its like. Everyone says its better but I don't think its one of those things you can imagine is better until you've tried it :< I mean testing it out in the shop isn't exactly the same as sitting down for an hour and reading from it >>;

Its interesting really just because I spend alot of my free time in front of a computer, but when it comes to reading, I can't stand reading on my computer. Maybe its because I spend more time staring at my screen so its partially nice to sit down and read from a book instead. But at the same time they can be really damn heavy to carry about. Would be nice to be able to have a kindle or w/e to take to work with me to read on my break or something :<

May 26, 11 at 2:57pm
tommex

I got a Kindle a couple of weeks ago and I'm in love. The first thing I did with it was plot the Song of Ice and Fire series on it and now I'm carrying the whole lot around with me in like only 200g. The Kindle is light, I have all my books backed up on all of my computers, I can read them on my phone if I want to, and it's got enough memory that I can literally carry any book I'd want to read on it... and hundreds of others.

It's funny, because when my housemate got his Kindle, I was dubious and took the piss out of him, but after a play, it's just miles better than reading a hard copy. I'm in love with books, but this just seems to be a brilliant idea. The pages are easy to read, you can do it one handed, and the battery lasts forever... well, not really.

I don't think the printed text will die though, this is just another way of reading.