Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies » Golden Sun or Dragon Quest » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Nov 30, 10 at 6:49pmXeroph

I have played Dragon Quest a considerable amount and just bought Golden Sun and wow, I'm blown away by how much better it is. There aren't any downloads but it still looks better and isn't full of fetch quests. If you like Dragon Quest you should check out Golden Sun: Dark Dawn and I found a forum for it. http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/44419/

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 07, 12 at 2:39pm
TheMinnsy

I own both games and personally, DQ9 beats Golden Sun. I finished DQ9 and i still had stuff to do. But when i finished Golden Sun, I found i beat the final boss, it went through the credits, story, etc. and when i returned to play, i started before the boss with nothing to do. While i spent 100 odd hours on DQ after the boss, c*****. I personally loved Dq, but only liked gs.dd.....

Oct 05, 12 at 5:11pm
oh you, no

quote Charraze111
Also does golden sun have Wi Fi quests?
Haha... No. A Wi Fi shop?
Nope!
Does it put old bosses from old games into the game?
Nope.
Does Golden Sun have Aquila? The coolest person ever?
Nope!
The list goes on and on...
Overall DQIX>Golden Sun
Wi Fi quests that are always the same fetch, kill quests? Who the hell cares.
Wi Fi shops, again who cares. LOOKS AT ME IM BUY STUFF ONLINE!
Old bosses from old games. Yes. You obviously are unfamiliar with the series so shut the *bleep* up
Golden Sun's characters put DQ9s to shame. Simple fact.
There is no list lol

I like DQ, love DQ9, hate myopic fanboys who talk shit about stuff they don't know about.

Aug 09, 11 at 6:22pm
ThatDudeUNo

Golden Sun gets boring after you pass the game and has certain parts closed after certain times.

Aug 09, 11 at 4:06am
M-vil

and the multi player for DQ9 is the best I've ever seen for DS games

Aug 09, 11 at 4:02am
M-vil

but don't forget DQ9 is a very custom game. you can make your character choose you teams and there are hundreds of different equipment to use. that's some thing i know golden sun doesn't have.

Feb 06, 11 at 5:22pm
seanflynn

I had the same problem with deciding... But when I got to the store and saw the guidebooks....yeah GS looks kinda skimpy.... That really helped my influence. Not to mention that Dragon quest keeps coming out with stuff every week. Its almost an endless game

Feb 05, 11 at 7:01am
M-vil

I'm sorry but there is no way Golden Sun is better than Dragon Quest 9 its impossible i think the graphics in Golden Sun Dark Dawn are amazing but Dragon Quest 9 is better because it makes up for the graphics with the awesome storyline and theres always more to do to keep you playing and the multilayer is unbeatable theres no DS game that can match it plus in Dragon Quest 9 you can make your own character and teammates and equip them and dress them how you want plus DQ has a greater history and that what i think (plus its just plain awesome).-please comment and state your opinions on my post^_^

Dec 15, 10 at 4:39pm
akira357

amen to that. I remember back in pokemon red/blue. Mount moon was such a piss off, every 5 steps you encountered the same zubat! lol. I like that if you are at a high level, monsters will run away...I mean I would too if i knew i would get "1 shotted" lol.

Dec 15, 10 at 2:01am
Wes

quote akira357
Dragon quest 9 is probably one of the best rpgs out there. I have played countless rpgs [ff 1-10], Golden sun,etc and I found one the biggest things that annoyed the hell out of me was the random encounters! The sheer concept of this pisses me off because I found later on, I was rushing through dungeons, temples, etc and not enjoying them because I didnt want to encounter a monster I could easily one shot! DQ9 adds an awesome touch, you can see the enemies! Hence, you can avoid them in a dungeon if you are in a hurry not walk 3 steps, encounter a bat, kill bat, rinse and repeat. All rpgs should have this system as a standard game mechanic.
Its a shame they took so long to do this. Chrono Trigger was made by squaresoft many years ago. It was a great idea, because if you've played the game before you could avoid many of the monster mobs by avoiding the trigger points.
Yet it wasn't until DQM Joker and DQIX that they tried again. I get sick of the "x steps triggers a battle" formula that so many RPGs use. I think DQIX got that part just right.

Dec 14, 10 at 8:40pm
akira357

I have played both. I was a huge fan of the GS on the GBA: solid story, great graphics and the dijinn system really made the game epic. I played the new one and I was dissapointed, as per usual, the game is geared more towards kids and newcomers than fans of the series [that was really a slap in the face]. Dragon quest 9 is probably one of the best rpgs out there. I have played countless rpgs [ff 1-10], Golden sun,etc and I found one the biggest things that annoyed the hell out of me was the random encounters! The sheer concept of this pisses me off because I found later on, I was rushing through dungeons, temples, etc and not enjoying them because I didnt want to encounter a monster I could easily one shot! DQ9 adds an awesome touch, you can see the enemies! Hence, you can avoid them in a dungeon if you are in a hurry not walk 3 steps, encounter a bat, kill bat, rinse and repeat. All rpgs should have this system as a standard game mechanic. Also I love how your character changes depending on the armor they choose,etc. Golden Sun was also too rigid: isaac and garet were melee, ivan and mia were magic users. You could change their classes and all but it wasnt effective until later on. In my opinion, both games are great but DQ9 has those nice touches that make the experience more worth while.