Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Books & Literature » Wheel of Time: The Third Age: The Wheel of Time Keeps on Turning. » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Books & Literature forum! Have a seat, stay a while.

hideOriginal Post

Nov 06, 10 at 10:29pmMister MacPhisto

I don't know where I'll be tomorrow.

Third Age for this thread.

Last one ended here.

How's that Curt Connors?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 26, 15 at 3:56am
Dantess26

quote Corruption
Clearly you know what you're talking about when giving Jordan credit, having not even read four and half of the books Jordan penned.
The thing is it doesn't even feel like I've missed out on much at all in the intervening books I've skipped!

There's been little character development- I've picked up The Gathering Storm and feel like I'm rejoining a group of old friends! The main thing I feel I've missed out on is the Seanchan "return".

Honestly, the fact that the series ground to a halt is quite obvious by the fact I can fill in the blanks by reading The Gathering Storm. For example I already knew 90% of the things you listed that I missed out on, because they were mentioned in TGS (although thanks for adding the list! I didn't know about the balefire between Rand and Ishamael. In what way did it change them? If that's not a spoiler lol)

I guess I might revisit the novels I missed, I'm just genuinely surprised at how well TGS reads and how easily I've picked back up on the series

Feb 25, 15 at 5:07pm
Corruption

Clearly you know what you're talking about when giving Jordan credit, having not even read four and half of the books Jordan penned.

Fair enough if you think the books were slow, they undeniably slowed down immensely after Lord of Chaos and Jordan's writing certainly had flaws, but it's a bit rich that you're heaping all of this praise on Sanderson for injecting life into the series without even really comparing it to the last book in the series Jordan wrote, never mind the other three you haven't even read a sentence out of.

Feb 25, 15 at 2:12pm
Dantess26

quote Corruption
You really should go back and read through Knife of Dreams. Crossroads of Twilight was the only book that I've ever found to be utterly boring. I wouldn't be so quick to give Sanderson credit for injecting some life into the series since Jordan started that work, again, in KoD. Not that Sanderson isn't magnificent, Gathering Storm is among my top 3 books in the series, but it's not like Jordan didn't start picking up the pace again near the end (you know...because it was the end.)
I'm reluctant to give credit to Jordan to be honest. To me the series was dead in the water, enough so to make me stop reading part way through A Crown of Swords (I seem to remember another mention of Nynaeve pulling her braid which caused me to delete the e-book immediately, in a huff of frustration)

I feel Sanderson's writing made the The Gathering Storm readable. Much more concise and even if the original Memory of Light novel has been extended to three separate volumes- they read at a much better pace than any other WoT book.

I still praise the first 3 Jordan novels, they are stunning pieces of work, and of course it's his story, characters and events.

Let's put it this way- I would never in a million years have returned to finish off the series if it wasn't a different author behind the writing. The kind of trust is hard to regain once you reluctantly discard a series you've put time and money into reading.

Feb 25, 15 at 1:19pm
Corruption

You really should go back and read through Knife of Dreams. Crossroads of Twilight was the only book that I've ever found to be utterly boring. I wouldn't be so quick to give Sanderson credit for injecting some life into the series since Jordan started that work, again, in KoD. Not that Sanderson isn't magnificent, Gathering Storm is among my top 3 books in the series, but it's not like Jordan didn't start picking up the pace again near the end (you know...because it was the end.)

Feb 25, 15 at 11:32am
Dantess26

I recently decided to pick back up on Wheel of Time, but skipped ahead a couple of books to ones that Sanderson had a hand in writing.

I've missed out on...

... but I still enjoyed Sanderson's contribution immensely. I gave up of WoT a couple of years ago because it got so goddamn boring and repetitive. I honestly thought it was going nowhere!

Glad I've decided to skip ahead. I'm a Sanderson fan, and I really think he injected some drive and pace into the series. Didn't miss out on too much and I've pretty much picked up where I left off. The Gathering Storm was fantastic, a nice long read, looking forward to Towers of Midnight!

Feb 25, 15 at 11:13am
Corruption

quote Mister MacPhisto
Ok, bluexy I was about to say as I recall there being some things in the prequel that's best if you don't read it first. Or early.

They might get thinner for a little bit... but then they get thicker.
^True story. The last three in particular were monsters.

Cool to see somebody else enjoying my favorite book series of all time.

Feb 25, 15 at 2:36am
Mister MacPhisto

Ok, bluexy I was about to say as I recall there being some things in the prequel that's best if you don't read it first. Or early.

They might get thinner for a little bit... but then they get thicker.

Feb 25, 15 at 2:19am
bluexy

Mister MacPhisto Nah, I'm reading them in publication order so I've got a few book yet. They start getting thinner after I finish this and the next, so I should start rolling through them rather quickly soon.

Feb 25, 15 at 2:11am
Mister MacPhisto

bluexy.. good man! It does kinda suck you in.

You read the prequel yet?

Feb 24, 15 at 6:34pm
bluexy

Mister MacPhisto Awesome or not, I don't think I could get away investing 4000 pages worth of time into the series and then stop now. I'm in it for the long haul.