Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Books & Literature » Wheel of Time: The Third Age: The Wheel of Time Keeps on Turning. » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Books & Literature forum! Have a seat, stay a while.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Nov 06, 10 at 10:29pmMister MacPhisto

I don't know where I'll be tomorrow.

Third Age for this thread.

Last one ended here.

How's that Curt Connors?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Apr 09, 13 at 1:01pm
Memento Mori

Well, roughly a year after starting the series, I finished A Memory Of Light a few days back. My reading had slowed down due to a lack of free time, but I found myself with a huge chunk of it recently, and used it to go through the last three books or so in around a week and a half.

Anyway, it wasn't a flawless ending, but it was definitely more satisfying than not. I can't be bothered to break my opinion down right now into specific parts, but I might come back and put those in later.

Feb 25, 13 at 5:17pm
Mouldy Cheese

quote Corruption
So if you ever find yourself rolling your eyes over the characters' tendencies to keep secrets from each other, try to bear with it (though you've read ASOIAF, so you'll probably be fine. xD). Wheel of Time is a really fantastic series, despite its flaws. I hope you enjoy it. ^^
Ha, oh man it's so frustrating when character's do that isn't it? >> Even when I'm watching a movie I've seen before I'm sitting there waiting for the characters to realise that what they're doing is going to go badly!
I suppose the main thing is breaking it up with other, lighter, reads. Chuck some good old, predictable YA books in there just to relax!

Feb 24, 13 at 9:29pm
Corruption

MaChaoTheSplendid The only characters I disliked by the end of the series were Elayne and Gawyn. xD
Now I think on it, I don't think there was ever a point in the entire series where I actually liked Elayne or Gawyn.

Jordan always described his women in the story as 'strong' rather than intentionally annoying or bitchy, so make of that what you will, I guess.

Mouldy Cheese The two big things in this series that turn people off of it, I've noticed, are the gender themes, and the lack of communication between characters. People who put down the series often say, "If characters just talked to each other, the story would be over in 5 books." Which is true, but I think what those people miss is that, that's sort of the point the author is trying to make. Any time in the series where characters take the time to sit down and talk with each other, they're immediately rewarded with good things happening, usually in the form of accomplishing a big goal of some sort.

So if you ever find yourself rolling your eyes over the characters' tendencies to keep secrets from each other, try to bear with it (though you've read ASOIAF, so you'll probably be fine. xD). Wheel of Time is a really fantastic series, despite its flaws. I hope you enjoy it. ^^

Feb 24, 13 at 7:30pm
Mouldy Cheese

quote Corruption
Mouldy Cheese Was this friend of yours a guy by any chance? Not saying girls can't have issues with the gender themes, but most of my guy friends don't like the series because the men in it are, for the most part, a bit meeker and the women are, in their words, "Bitchy supremacists." But that's really the point Jordan makes with the theme, basically flip-flopping irl stereotypical gender roles, and the series makes a point of basically saying that men and women working together accomplish far greater things than either side alone.
Yep, you're spot on! He's a dude and he thought all the female characters were really bitchy and just horrible to read (much like MaChaoTheSplendid has said.
You guys have really got me intrigued now! Although I find it alot easier to read (and write, funnily enough) male characters in general.

Feb 24, 13 at 3:39pm
MaChaoTheSplendid

I always thought Jordan did his female characters quite poorly to be honest. All of the main males are all easy enough to like, but the women are just.. ugh..

A couple of them do grow to become better later on in the series and of course Moiraine is great throughout, but for the most part the female leads were all really easy to dislike and I got sick of reading about some of them very quickly.

Unless of course he didn't want us to like them, in which case, well played sir.

Feb 24, 13 at 11:27am
Corruption

Mouldy Cheese Was this friend of yours a guy by any chance? Not saying girls can't have issues with the gender themes, but most of my guy friends don't like the series because the men in it are, for the most part, a bit meeker and the women are, in their words, "Bitchy supremacists." But that's really the point Jordan makes with the theme, basically flip-flopping irl stereotypical gender roles, and the series makes a point of basically saying that men and women working together accomplish far greater things than either side alone.

Feb 24, 13 at 4:44am
Mouldy Cheese

quote Mastix
Hmm... Well there's not really the Game of Thrones KILL EVERYTHING YOU LOVE nonsense. Thank god for that. But there's plenty of backstabbery and plot twists. If you mean to ask if there are naughty bits, there are naughty bits. The thread is probably lacking in discussions because there wasn't much activity to begin with.
I wasn't asking about naughty bits! But it's nice to know its not too "EVERYONE IS NOW DEAD" like ASOIAF. Man, does that get a bit heavy after a while! There's only so much merciless destruction of favourite characters that one person can take.

Corruption, one of my friends who tried to get through the series said that they were turned away by the gender themes.

Feb 24, 13 at 3:34am
Corruption

Mastix I wouldn't really say they were naughty bits in the series. Jordan was always careful to pan to the fireplace when things between characters were heating up, so to speak.

As for controversial, ehn, not really. Like Mastix said, there's plenty of backstabbing and plot twists, but nothing that ever made me just put the book down and walk away.

Actual controversial topics, the series as a whole deals heavily with gender politics, so there may be parts where some would get offended, but Jordan always did it well, so I never had a problem with it. Off the top of my head, there's only one scene that is really, really controversial, and it happens in one of the later books. Without spoiling anything, a very, very serious issue is played for laughs because of who it's happening to. You may not notice it, though. I certainly didn't on my first read through.

Feb 24, 13 at 2:33am
Mastix

quote Mouldy Cheese
Corruption, Mastix is there much controversial material in the series? For something so long running I would've expected a bit more "ermahgerd, I can't believe A did that to B!" in this thread
Hmm... Well there's not really the Game of Thrones KILL EVERYTHING YOU LOVE nonsense. Thank god for that. But there's plenty of backstabbery and plot twists. If you mean to ask if there are naughty bits, there are naughty bits. The thread is probably lacking in discussions because there wasn't much activity to begin with.

Feb 24, 13 at 1:13am
Mouldy Cheese

Corruption, Mastix is there much controversial material in the series? For something so long running I would've expected a bit more "ermahgerd, I can't believe A did that to B!" in this thread