Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Android General Discussion » Rooting - What is it and why do I want it? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 27, 10 at 10:36pmVeGiTAX2

Rooting?
  • Rooting is a mixed bag for most users, even in the most simple form of a test software leak it means that users may be hard pressed to return their phone due to a warranty violation. As a result I would suggest that anyone inquiring be sure that they like their phone and plan to stick it out for a while, not every model is the same and many do not have rollback options to load the stock OS again.
Gains from rooting
  • Custom operating system updates
  • Community supported troubleshooting for phone issues
  • Outside market access
  • Legacy support after discontinuation
  • Overclocking
  • Custom loaders such as ADW or Launcher 2, in past cases this included unique launchers like the Nexus One
Issues you may face
  • Rooting isn't always a simple flash file, users may need more technical knowledge or access to a linux system to run the root procedure.
  • Rooted phones need user attention and care, a poorly written app may crash the phone but a bad ROM can brick the phone making it unusable
  • Support is community based for rooted phones, calling up HTC, LG or Motorola is pointless once you breach that gap
I'm up for helping as I can to get root information from around the web to those interested in rooting their phones and exploring the options of their Android devices. I'm sure the rest of the community will lend a hand as they can too.

When checking if your phone is rooted try to include the following:
  • Device Name:
  • Software Version:
  • Kernel Version:
  • Baseband Version:
In some cases a simple OTA update can render a phone unable to be rooted, so the info does help eliminate issues finding out what options there are.

With that said. Welcome to the Neoseeker Android Community and hopefully the legions of root users.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 09, 14 at 2:09am
OOgn

It's very hard to understand. I wanna ask.
I have a android game handheld and i need to use it to play emulator games, do i need to root it before i port the emu to my device( JXD s7800b)?

Jan 04, 14 at 7:49pm
bloodyvamp

All the "hype" over it being "dangerous" is bogus. I have my Kindle Fire HD rooted and it is 1000000 times better. I can do so much more. And for those of you who are reading this and are cynical, I was you before I rooted. I was very cautious but in the end it pays off. Also, I heard that if you are having technical problems, you can still send your device in and they will fix it.

Dec 18, 13 at 9:37pm
Ctls_Rajesh

If I want to reboot my android phone then what is the process of rooting?

Aug 09, 13 at 11:55am
Lewispaul88

Rooting is known as OS up gradation without any official update for the OS in Android. It is illegal and your device warranty expires or may be dead forever, if you root your device. if you are having 2.3 ginerbread android then you update your device to 4.1 jelly bean or latest. This is known as rooting.

May 25, 13 at 1:13pm
mdsujaan

I also want to root my phone.Is there any risk to rooting my phone

Jan 11, 13 at 7:23pm
postman_06

i have been searching on how to root my motorola atrix hd on at&t. it is up graded to android 4.1.1. every thing i have found is for ics... am i right in reading there is no root yet for jellybean?? if anyone can find anything it would be appreciated

Dec 17, 12 at 9:01pm
SpryGuy2012

Hey I have just attempted to root my SG3 1747 and long story short my phone is stuck on the downloading screen. I can't seem to get it to reboot because the yellow triangle comes up as an error saying that firmware upgrade encountered a problem. I have tried many different things. rebooting, unplugging the device. Also Samsung Kies doesn't recognize the phone but my drivers are fine. I REALLY need help with this problem and I'm hoping that someone/anyone can help me out. It would be greatly appreciated!

I have skype and am willing to go through whatever it is to get my phone back to normal. As I had mentioned I should be able to flash as the downloading screen comes up but I must be doing something wrong...

Steve

Jul 15, 12 at 3:18am
HoodedSolidSnake

I'm not rooted. I would like to be, but it just seems like WAY to much can go from. Although a while ago I thinking of making a Custom ROM so I could install Beats Audio for free on my phone, but nah, never did it either.

Jun 18, 12 at 1:09am
tommex

How do you mean? Do you mean a full list of rootable devices? What would probably easier is if you told us your phones model and I'd be able to find out for you from that.

Also, rooting under warrantee is perfectly safe as long as you do it right.

Jun 14, 12 at 5:29pm
Edward34

Can you please give the list of mobile models where it can apply. Also as I read, should I try if my mobile is still under warranty ?