Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Folding @ Home 5 » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Sep 07, 10 at 11:44pm

Team Number: 53701

If your like me, and you have a good computer with a great processor, your not using all of your cpu cycles all of the time. Why not put them to good use?

Folding @ Home

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.
I leave my computer on most of the time, and I've been wanting to try out Folding At Home. I just downloaded it, and started our own Neoseeker team. The program runs in the background, just using spare CPU cycles. My processor has been hovering around 60 to 100% load while I run it, and its risen 9 degree's C. You can easily change how much percent of your processor it uses (from 0 to 100%).

Current projects:
* Alzheimer's Disease
* Cancer
* Huntington's Disease
* Osteogenesis Imperfecta
* Parkinson's Disease
* Ribosome & antibiotics

Download Folding @ Home

Neoseekers Folding @ Home Team

Team Number: 53701

To join the team, download and run the program. Right click anywhere in the page, and select Configure. Put the team number in the Team Number blank.

The success of the neoseeker team would not be possible with out the following members (in no order). You can thank them, give them a slap on the rear, or what ever you want.

Iceguy2003

Anonymous

guticb

courgan

Hiigaran

RCM331

ACY3

Gravity

ParanahJoe

Redemption

Neoseeker

And of course, those of you running the program right now.

If I left you out (and you should be in the list), then sorry, just let me know and I'll put you up there. I'm positive I left someone out though.

Since its going to be very hard to keep up with who is still running the program, and whose not, I'll just change the list to whats on the F@H website. When you set up the program, please use your full user name, and (pc) or (PS3), or (*processor type*) if you want to.

Thank You for helping the cause!

Banners:

Team Stats only:

code
[img]http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php/t=53701[/img]

Team and User Stats:

code
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php/un=**Folding@Home_Name_here**/t=53701/

[size=1][color=#666666]This message was edited by The Slayer on Sep 07 2010.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Aug 02, 14 at 10:38pm
Iceguy2003

I folded awhile back on my 7870 and had this exact problem I'm going to describe..

Well... I waited awhile. Months before Folding again with my nice GPU (FOR ME), I can't afford another at this level at the moment. I ran it again at my stable 1100/1300mhz gpu/mem clocks from 1000mhz/1200mhz stock. I've used it for awhile that way, stress tested, etc. NEVER ONE SINGLE PROBLEM.

So, I decided to give folding at home a try, again. I got an error on the third day of non stop folding. I had my voltage at stock, as usual, because mine is stable. It's also a HIS IceQ GHZ edition. Cooling at 72% fan speed is PHENOMENAL.

On the third day, F@H crashed. Well, I closed it, opened a game. And was having glitches. GPU glitches. Scared, but having seen it before... I restarted and all was well.

To make the rest of this long story short... when I use my same old tried and true overclocks... games crash on me now. Far Cry 3, Planetside 2... these were rock stable before. Now I have to drop GPU/MEM back 50mhz to be stable in games. Even raising voltage and using my old OC's STILL doesn't help.

On the other hand, I can game at bone stock frequencies without a hitch... SO FAR.

I'm kind of mad at myself for thinking that, just maybe I could run F@H on MY rig for a week straight. Hell, it only took 3 days to cause perma damage.

My CPU, on the otherhand, I'm sure can fold just fine now. But after getting nearly 80,000 ppd using my GPU... well, the point aspect won't be fun. I can't risk it anymore. Not until I get a new video card to toy with. It was fun, guys. "I'll be bahck."

Jun 06, 14 at 4:26pm
hiigaran

sometimes F@H will have an unstable/faulty work unit. its nothing to concern yourself with, unless you are getting frequent bad units. drivers might have a bad habit of crashing a lot as well, as it was in my case at some point. never knew if it was the drivers themselves, or the work units.

also, i forgot to mention that my little free 'upgrade' was for a 770 that had custom cooling on it. three large fans ahoy!

BTW, did your 670 die from Folding or something unrelated?
thats hard to say really. for all i know, it could have been simple wear and tear, or that particular card had high but acceptable manufacturing flaws. those happen all the time.

that said, i was playing TF2 at the time, which is not particularly stressful on a 770. folding was disabled at the time, because it interferes with gameplay. ironic that it died during then.

i wonder...you know that trick where you bake your card in an oven to fix micro fractures/fissures in soldering due to repeated heating and cooling which causes repeated contraction and expansion of solder? if you keep the card on 24/7 at 100% load, the temperature would remain about the same at all times. i wonder if that would make it last longer or not. i can never tell what specific component fails on my video cards, but something tells me its not the processor.

Jun 06, 14 at 3:57pm
Iceguy2003

quote hiigaran
ive been running my computer 24/7 at 100% CPU and GPU for years now. im sure it affects the longevity of the parts, but whatever. usually i hope it dies fast enough so that the warranty covers it. thats how i upgraded my 670 to a 770!
Haha! Good point, if it's going to die, let's hope it dies under warranty. So I take it you are folding on your 770? I don't know what was up with the flaky graphics appearance after folding, it may have just been a glitch or there may be a slight instability that only F@H brings out after 24 hours. But, it did kind of scare me. I have the HD7870 Ghz edition with the HIS IceQ cooler version. It runs super cool, especially if I manually set the fan to 72%. I don't even hit over 49 degrees, folding or gaming, with my fan cranked up. Then, again, I get a little scared I might burn my fan out. So, there I go, again, letting my computer "rest".

I can't afford another GPU right now, otherwise I'd just let her burn lol. BTW, did your 670 die from Folding or something unrelated?

Jun 06, 14 at 2:22pm
hiigaran

ive been running my computer 24/7 at 100% CPU and GPU for years now. im sure it affects the longevity of the parts, but whatever. usually i hope it dies fast enough so that the warranty covers it. thats how i upgraded my 670 to a 770!

Jun 06, 14 at 1:21pm
Iceguy2003

If I wasn't scared to fold 24/7, I would be able to get over 2 million points in one month. In reality, I usually end up getting like 200k in a month because of my on/off folding and weeks of forgetting to fold. I'm just afraid to screw up my HD7870. I came back one day and my computer screen looked as if my card had fried. After I restarted it, everything was fine, though. It was the only time that had happened, but I did have the power cranked up to my card and it was overclocked, but it was all 100% problem free for months like that gaming.
I'm not worried about hurting the CPU, but it doesn't net enough points to run it solo 24/7.
Anyways, I always fold with both my CPU and GPU going.

Don't forget to get a passkey from the F@H website. It will help increase the points you get.

May 17, 14 at 8:43am
Nanosaur

Damn I forgot about this. Time to work my computers A$$ off.

May 12, 14 at 10:12am
Iceguy2003

True. But also I went from averaging around 15K ppd to this 70+K ppd. I was wondering if I just so happened to get some killer work units for points. Hopefully it stays this way, though.

May 12, 14 at 7:42am
hiigaran

its a bit of a gamble with the points. some projects have significantly more/less points than others.

May 12, 14 at 7:40am
Iceguy2003

Something has happened since I've last folded.
On my Q6600 OC'd and my HD7870 ghz OC'd, I can't remember exactly what PPD I was getting, but NOW I've been averaging 70 - 75k PPD. That's with 3 out of 4 of my CPU cores folding the CPU part of the client, and also GPU folding. 95% of the points are from my GPU.

Jan 09, 14 at 5:26am
Covert_king

the new x2 series is meant to be best, but with both my rigs i get varying results.

i have an i7-870 with a 670oc and have seen upto 75k ppd
vs my amd 8150 with a 680oc getting upto 55k ppd
am yet to trial a x2 series card.