Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Amnesia: The Dark Descent » Neoseeker interviews Penumbra, Amnesia creators Frictional Games » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Aug 10, 10 at 9:57pmchautemoc

We chat with Amnesia and Penumbra creators Frictional Games about crafting unique gaming experiences.

Frictional Games Interview

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Nov 19, 10 at 2:23am
Animatrix

I bought it a day after i posted that hah,
It had quite an ending I must say.

Nov 15, 10 at 3:05pm
chautemoc

Animatrix: always nice to see when people "get" a game we try to spread the word about. Hope you buy it. Cheers.

Nov 13, 10 at 5:11pm
Animatrix

I downloaded the Demo for Amnesia off the creator's website.

I'm VERY satisfied.
Even though, I prefer gunning people down, slicing enemies, throwing grenades or casting magic and stuff... This game, really pulled me in for some reason.

Haunted houses in October, not scary, movies where a guy jumps through your dreams, funny but not scary.
A game where your helpless and chased by massive creatures trying to tear you in half.. i wouldnt say scary, but it startles you and makes you want to run the hell away, lol

At first I was thinking, "man this might get boring.."
But after playing through it, the game really tries to scare you.
If you play with the appropriate brightness, and loudness on your speakers, your constantly spinning in circles to see whats about to charge you..

Very interesting game.

Sep 15, 10 at 2:58am
chautemoc

Oops. I knew it was Requiem.

Sep 15, 10 at 2:30am
yusuke123

That's Requiem you're talking about. Penumbra: Overture is the first game in the series, and Penumbra: Black Plague is a continuation of the story line.

Requiem, which I haven't played personally because of the deterring reviews, is the puzzle game. Lets not get a newcomer mixed up haha.

Sep 14, 10 at 9:34pm
chautemoc

Yeah, I should say that -- Amnesia is REALLY polished. Actually, besides the graphical style, it also reminds me of Risen in that respect. Risen is the spiritual successor to the Gothic games, and much as I love them, I'd have to recommend everyone start with Risen -- they're just so unpolished by modern standards. That and if you're playing Risen, it's kind of like playing all previous games rolled into one, plus a ton of polish. I imagine it's kinda the same with Amnesia.

PS. Penumbra: Black Plague, as mentioned in the interview, is not exactly a Penumbra game -- it's more of a straight puzzle game if I understand correctly. It sounds like it was a case of the publisher (not Frictional) tacking on the name for sales.

Sep 14, 10 at 9:32pm
yusuke123

If you planned on playing Penumbra first, you'd probably want to buy all three games so that you don't finish one and aren't able to play the other. All of the mechanics between Penumbra and Amnesia are the same, but you would be able to tell a difference between the two. After playing Amnesia I have to say Penumbra feels more sloppy, I don't know how to explain it really.

But you can start with either. Personally I'd start with Amnesia because it's no doubt better than the Penumbra series, and if you like it enough you could always go back and pick the other up.

And in case you're still confused, Amnesia is only one game, and is not a series. Penumbra however is a series and consists of three games.

This is an adventure/survival horror game, and is much different from others in the genre. So check some videos out and maybe read into it a bit before you buy.

Sep 14, 10 at 9:10pm
chautemoc

Penumbra and Amnesia are sort of a series together -- from the same developer and with a LOT in common. I haven't played the Penumbra games so I can't really say, though I know some recommend to start with them. I know they're very good, but I don't think it would be terrible to start with Amnesia if you were so inclined.

Sep 14, 10 at 9:08pm
Perplerain1

im looking for a new game to try. is this a series? if so would it be okay to start with this one?

Sep 10, 10 at 8:44pm
chautemoc