Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Pokémon Black Version » Pokémon Wiki & Dream World Available Pokémon Discussion » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

hideOriginal Post

Jul 11, 10 at 3:12pmDragoon

pokemon.neo FAQ
[Updated: April 16, 2011]

Table of Contents
  1. Introduction
  2. What is a NeoWiki?
  3. Where is it?
  4. Who are the team members?
  5. When will it be finished?
  6. How can I contribute?
  7. How can I suggest something for the Wiki?
  8. Is there a list of what has to be done?
  9. What is a Staff Member's job on the Wiki?
  10. Who can I contact about the Wiki?
  11. Where can I go to learn more about NeoWikis?

1. Introduction

Hello there and welcome to the Pokemon NeoWiki FAQ. If you're reading through this thread, you obviously have at least a passing interest in what this is all about. If you're interested in learning more, feel free to read on. This post will be updated periodically by Relmutsie AN, Avalith and Origin if and when changes need to be made, as this is an ongoing project that will most likely have a few things change from time to time, so we'll do our best to keep you up to date with everything so you can keep contributing!

2. What is a NeoWiki?

A NeoWiki is, essentially, a subsite of Neoseeker that is worked on by any member of the community to provide the most accurate, up-to-date information of things going on in the world of a specific game franchise, in this case the world of Pokemon. Based around the MediaWiki software that runs on Wikipedia, the NeoWiki concept is a much more convienient means to have a database of information for all Neoseekers than Portals. Adding to that, there are, and will be, a lot more cooler tools and functions with the Wikis. If you want to see another example of a Wiki, check out the Final Fantasy, Pro Evolution Soccer or the Digimon Wikis. Taking on such a project like a wiki isn't easy, nor is it something you can sit down and do in a few hours. It takes many months of hard work from a team of Neoseeker members to achieve much, so all the help that the members can offer to us is appreciated, and is recognized by the Wiki Contributor tag you receive if you regularly contribute.

3. Where is it?

The main page is located here.

4. Who are the team members?

The pokemon.neo team is constantly changing, expanding and growing stronger. A list of current contributors can be found here.

In addition to our contributors, there are also 4 staff members.

Eon80
Lesley Pro_04
Dragoon
Avalith

And our wiki super admin supervisors are Avalith and Dragoon.

If you have a question about the project, please ask in this thread. While we'd like to field your questions via PM as well, it's not fair to everyone else that you get your question answered privately when a lot of other people may have the same question you do. At least one team member will check through here whenever there's a new post, so your question will be answered at some point. If someone checks through the thread and doesn't know the answer, they'll find someone on the team who does and let them know to answer your question. Alternatively, just edit your question into the Talk Page.

5. When will it be finished?

Your guess is as good as ours. Obviously, Pokemon is an ever growing, ever expanding, ever re-running series of games, movies, anime, merchandise, etc, so a Pokemon Wiki Contributors job is never done. Keeping on top of the work, and having a large base of contributors will make it go faster, but since new ideas for pages will, and should be, constantly springing up, we'll never get bored. And if, god forbid, Pokemon did shut down, we'd still have plenty to do for a long time.

6. How can I contribute?

Before you can start writing up your content, you need to understand the specific markup of a Wiki. Here is a handy editing guide that should send you on your way to start creating content. Another great editing guide is written up here, detailing the basics of wiki editing.

However, should you have any other questions regarding anything about editing, or even anything regarding the Wiki, simply post it in this thread; our staff and contributors will be more than happy to help.

7. How can I suggest something for the Wiki?

Simply post it in this thread. However, you do not need to run anything by us if you do not want to, you are free to contribute anywhere on the wiki any time, as long as you are not deleting satisfactory content, writing unsatisfactory content, or breaking any Neoseeker Rules, which are expected to be followed on the Wiki. But, if you want to run a major idea to us, feel free to use this thread or the Talk Page. If you have a suggestion for NeoWikis in general, please submit your ideas in this forum.

8. Is there a list of what has to be done?

Why yes, there is! It is located Help:Major Projects, and the projects are being performed by the members listed under the respective headings.

Possibly the most important project to us, at the moment, is implementing a new layout on the Pokémon Pages]http://pokemon.neoseeker.com/wiki/Category:Pokémon_Pages[/link]. As you can see, there is lots to be done! 5 members have reported that the layout takes about one hour to type out, at most. While this may seem daunting at first, it is really much easier than one would think - you will become used to it, and it will only get easier!

9. What is a Staff Member's job on the Wiki?

Staff members have a number of jobs across the wiki, one of them being contributing. That's right - just like our contributors, the staff members often make regular contributions to the wiki. Because of this, we are experienced in wiki editing, and therefore, one of our most important jobs is to help you.

In addition to this, staff members have some extra powers on wikis - the most relevant to contributors are probably moving pages and deleting pages. If you have a request to move or delete a page, contact a staff member on their talk page, PM them, or simply post your request in this thread.

• Dragoon is focusing on the administrative aspects of the wiki, reviewing edits made by our contributors for spam, false content and the like. Most importantly, he is here to guide our contributors.

10. Who can I contact about the Wiki?

This depends on what you'd like to talk with us about. If it's about contributing, then contact any staff member, or ask in this thread or the [link name=Talk Page. If it's a general question or an idea, post it here. If it's something else but still related to the wiki, feel free to contact any of the staff members listed and they'll tell you who you can talk to if they don't know the answer. If it is a serious matter then contact the staff members or a wiki super admin, such as Avalith.

11. Where can I go to learn more about NeoWikis?

You can visit the following forums;

• NeoWiki Best Practices and Help
  • NeoWiki Discussion, Suggestions and Feedback
  • NeoWiki Requests and Planning
  • NeoWiki Bugs

You can also visit the general Neoseeker wiki;

• NeoWiki

Or, you can visit any of the other 150+ NeoWikis!

• Special:Wikilist

[Notes:]
    Extreme credit goes to Avalith for all
    the markup and a large amount of content
    for this page. Credit also goes to Origin
    for maintaining this thread for a great
    deal of time. This page will be constantly
    updated, and is nowhere near perfect.
    Please alert Avalith or Origin of all the
    imperfections or problems and we will fix them
    as soon as possible. Thanks, and enjoy the
    Pokemon wiki, and keep contributing!

A huge thanks to Relmutsie AN to getting
    the wiki to what it is today.

Edit Log:

Added some more info to question 8.
    Updated staff.
    Partial update.
    New thread in Platinum forum.
    New thread in SoulSilver forum, and added more info.
    New Thread in Black Forum. Slight notice issued
    Updated staff portion. Origin is wiki admin, Avalith is super admin. -Av
    Updated staff listings and activity - Dragoon

[size=1][color=#666666]This message was edited on 2011-08-24T05:18:45-07:00.
  • Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 04, 11 at 11:59pm
    Symphonic Abyss

Dragoon - I know I just had you take me off, but will you add me back on now? That goes for whatever other threads we have around the forums as well.

Jul 16, 11 at 10:10am
    Raddster

Ah, ok. Well then it would be kinda nice to see the wiki pages in blue and yellow like the colors of the Pokemon logo. Or maybe the colors of a pokeball. or Blue and Yellow with a Pokeball background?

Thanks, Dragoon!
    Also, I am almost done with what Lady Salamance started and asked for help with. All I have left is the S's.

EDIT: fell asleep while doing them. Just finished up now.

Jul 16, 11 at 9:43am
    Dragoon

Unfortunately the application of a certain style can only be applied holistically, so colour coding different sections of the wiki is impossible to do. Different generations can, however, have colours associated with their pages EG tables, infoboxes, Pokédex Entries, etc via template design, but that's the best that we can offer.

Congratulations on joining the ranks of Contributor, Raddster.

Jul 16, 11 at 8:28am
    Raddster

Woah... I just got myself a wiki contributor tag in one day...

Also I think it would be kinda cool if we could like color code different sections of the wiki. ould that be possible or does it have to be one style for the whole thing?

Jul 12, 11 at 10:23pm
    Chaos Team

I like the blue.

Jul 12, 11 at 3:44pm
    Dragoon

ATTENTION
    -------------------------------------------------

We, the Pokémon wiki team, were thinking of having a different colour scheme for the wiki. The blue gives of a dull and monotonal look to the wiki and it isn't all that appealing. So, I was asking for recommendations from any of you guys to hear what sort of scheme YOU would like on the wiki. We can do pictured background as well as a pictured content page - although it would have to be pale / whited out in order for the content still be seen. So if you guys want to suggest it myself, Avalith and the other wiki staff will discuss it in our super secret hide out and will implement it! That is assuming people actually submit anything. Haha. ^___^

Thanks!

Jun 29, 11 at 5:19am
    DannyB01

Dm1 - platinum is my absolute favorite currently!

You guys should try and see if you can link the thread for the wiki here with the one in the White forum I was thinking. Just putting it out there.

Jun 11, 11 at 9:23am
    Dm1

Wow..

There's sure one hella lot of work input to that Wiki over there. Good job to everyone.

I even feel like starting to play pokemon again (I stopped after ruby.. but now I'm actually thinking of playing platinum and moving on to black/white.)

Edit : A sincere thanks =P Just started playing "Pokemon Platinum", and I just realized it's awesome. Better then ruby and most others.. =P

Jun 06, 11 at 6:23am
    Wally

DannyB01 - Great! Hopin' to see more of you this week then! :D

Good luck on your exam today! o:

Jun 04, 11 at 9:18pm
    DannyB01

quote Wally
    Hoping to see more people start to contribute soon.
    We still need lots of help on the Pokémon, Moves, and a number of Ability pages. D:

I've been planning to do like, a lot, of those for a while but I've done naff all so far. Got my last exam on monday so should be alright after that and I didn't want to start before incase I get hooked. (I've had two exam seasons with a month in between, so non-stop revision since the start of march.)