Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Showcases and Work Logs » Ren's Slab of Aluminium » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Hello, and welcome to the Showcases and worklogs forum! This forum is primarily for users to post about their computers and discuss them. You are welcome to join in the discussion, and if you wish to create your own, please register! Its free!The Showcase forum is for people to 'brag' and show off their computers they have already built. If you are asking for advice on a computer you plan on building, please post that in the main forum.

Thanks.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jul 10, 10 at 4:47pmRen of Heavens

AMD 1090T X6 3.2 GHz @ 4.0 GHz

I retired my old 4400+ X2 system a few weeks ago, keeping only the drives, a couple of cards and the chassis

Specs
  • RAM: 12GB 1600Mhz @ 8-8-8-24 1T
    • 2x 2GB DDR3 Corsair XMS3 Dominator
    • 2x 4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance LP
  • Graphics: ATi XFX 5830 1GB
  • Expansion Cards:
    • BlackGold BGT3620 Dual DVB-T/T2/C Tuner
    • Serial (COM1) Header Plate
    • Parallel (LPT1) Header Plate

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

May 20, 14 at 10:56am
Randome

Looking at the pictures, I thought you were pimping some early 90's computer, until I saw the "XBOX 360" sign in the last picture. I don't have any consoles, so I didn't know they made any improved parts for them.

May 19, 14 at 9:16am
Ren of Heavens

quote Ren of Heavens
My PAL 360 has been making an ungodly amount of noise lately.
Round Two

It's a launch console (Xenon board), so it has the fiery 90nm CPU & GPU. They later moved on to 65nm and then 45nm, but mine still works so I don't really want to replace it. While looking for a solution other than the 12v mod (Which makes even more noise), I found the Thermalright TR-360 replacement GPU heatsink.

Going from a single heatpipe to four

Seems to fit fine despite most people saying it won't fit a Xenon without moving a capacitor.

These clamps are such a pain to remove, and not much easier to put back on.

Decided I should re-paste the CPU while it's all dismantled.

And all back together

Apr 25, 12 at 8:01am
Ren of Heavens

The King is dead. Long live the King.

Replaced my 5+ yr old Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1s that decapitated themselves with a new pair of X-Tatic Digitals.

Sharkoon were nice enough to have a rummage through their spare parts, but sadly they didn't have any left for their original run of the X-Tatic 5.1 Good thing duct tape fixes everything

Feb 01, 12 at 6:17pm
Ren of Heavens

I finally caved and bought a dual DVB-T2 tuner ("Freeview HD" to most people), settled on the BlackGold BGT3620 over Pinnacle/Hauppauge's USB offering. This will be replacing my ageing Pinnacle 310i PCI tuner, which has served me well over the years.

As an added bonus it also has Component input

The card is designed for HTPC's so it's really dinky o.o

Jan 22, 12 at 9:54pm
Ren of Heavens

Slight deviation from the PC, no water cooling yet. I did spend £2 on a parallel port though

My PAL 360 has been making an ungodly amount of noise lately. To the point where I can't hear the game over the noise of the fans when it's idling with no DVD spinning. I replaced the old fans with some "Whisper" fans, but that barely made a difference - changed the pitch of the sound rather than the volume.

Decided to take a peek under the heatsinks, since I couldn't find anything else obviously wrong.

CPU heatsink (lower) came off first, and in the words of Adam Savage, Well there's your problem. It looks like there was once a thermal pad here, but it is no more. I could clearly read the silkscreen on the chip >_<

GPU wasn't much better, a tiny bit of the pad remained but not a lot.

GPU, CPU:

How little material is on the CPU:

I don't know what these thermal pads are made of, but the tiny remains that were left were a bugger to get off. I have about a litre of high purity isopropyl alcohol for electronics work I do that shifts most TIM with ease, but it took quite a while to work on these. Got them back to a mirror shine and then applied a bit of new MX-4.

Initially results looked bad - I put the 360 back together and powered it on for a test run. No accounts found Then I realised my memory card wasn't plugged in

With that sorted, a few hours of battlefield later and the fans are barely audible

Oct 18, 11 at 7:20pm
Ren of Heavens

So I decided to price up what I thought I would need...

Quick Disconnect:
Panel, Male Threaded G1/4 VL3N-MFG-P 2 £ 19.04
Female Threaded G1/4 VL3N-FG 1 £ 10.20
Male Threaded G1/4 VL3N-MG 1 £ 9.97
Female Compression VL3N-F10S 3 £ 35.37
Male Compression VL3N-M10S 1 £ 10.43

Straight Pair Threaded G1/4 NZL-V10P 5 £ 40.80
Silver Plug Threaded G1/4 SCR-CP003PG 2 £ 3.62

CPU Block Threaded G1/4 CPU-370 1 £ 75.95
Pump Threaded G1/4 DDC-1T 18W XSPC 1 £ 76.19
Radiator Threaded G1/4 TA120.4 1 £106.79
Radiator Mount 1 £ 16.99
Reservoir Threaded G1/4 FrozenQ V Fusion 1 £ 81.59
=======
£486.94

I was thinking £200-300... and this is before I even look into a GPU block >_<

Oct 14, 11 at 11:49am
Ren of Heavens

Ah, I understand. Certainly an option, it would make me loose my top USB ports so I'd probably wait until I get the rad and see how it looks.

Oct 12, 11 at 3:02pm
Randome

I meant that the 4 fans could be installed to the external surface of the case, directly above the holes you'd make. And the radiator on top of them.

This wouldn't take any room from inside the case at all.

Oct 12, 11 at 12:38pm
Ren of Heavens

Dust Free?

I still haven't cleaned it since that photo in July XD

That was also something I thought about, could probably put a 360/480 on the top. I did look at some shrouds to neaten the thing up, but most just looked like they would hide the fans on top and the rad still needs to go inside, which I really don't have much room for.

No worries about being easier to move, this thing weighs a ton as it is so it's not going anywhere.

Oct 11, 11 at 2:18pm
Randome

I don't know anything about water cooling either, but I have an idea for mounting the huge 4 fan radiator.

How about cutting 4 fan-shaped holes to the top of your case; then mounting 4 fans on there and the radiator horizontally on top of those? The fans would suck air out of your case and blow it up through the radiator. And then you could make all other case fans pull air into the case.

Advantages:
  • The whole thing would be in one piece, making it easier to move.
  • There would be nothing to block the openable side panels, or window.
  • The radiator would stay dust-free for much longer (if you instal dust filters to the case fans).
  • It would look better.