Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » Muse [V] » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

May 21, 10 at 8:34amMatty

Last.fm | Website

MUSE

Muse are an English rock band from Teignmouth, Devon. Since their inception in 1994, the band has been composed of Matthew Bellamy (lead vocals, guitar, piano), Christopher Wolstenholme (bass guitar, backing vocals, keyboards), and Dominic Howard (drums, percussion, synthesisers).

Muse have released five studio albums – Showbiz (1999); Origin of Symmetry (2001); Absolution (2003); Black Holes and Revelations (2006); and The Resistance (2009) – one live album, HAARP (2008), and a compilation of B-Sides, Hullabaloo Soundtrack (2002).

- Wikipedia

Albums

Sample Songs

*Credit to me for stealing Phil's crazy good post layout

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 24, 15 at 7:15pm
Saeglopur

quote Mister MacPhisto
Saeglopur, great to hear you had a good time and that the show was so good.

Any other standouts from the set? Or anything that you thought was better this time around?
Hey, the setlist was fairly standard, I think, so seeing Citizen Erased again was always going to be the particular highlight for me, but to be honest, in terms of overall performance, it's probably the best I've ever seen them play. All the instruments and vocals sounded fantastic, the old energy was still there, and it just generally sounded really tight. I think in some of the more recent tours, they've got a bit carried away with elaborate stage set ups, and some of the theatrics, and while that's all very well, it's so much more satisfying to see them just put on a great show as the band on their own. There was still a big screen and lighting set up, but they seemed more free to play and move around than some of the previous times I'd seen them. I could probably pick out a few songs that sounded better than ever at Wembley last time I saw them, but in general, a lot of them are much improved compared to five or six years ago, in my opinion, so even songs that I hadn't really been too bothered about hearing again, I was able to really enjoy. Psycho is also a cracking live opener, even though I've ignored it as an album song up to now. Would have liked to hear Stockholm Syndrome again, or maybe The Handler from the new album, but I think as it was the first time they'd played here, they were trying to get a lot of the popular crowd favourites in, I guess. I'd expect the setlists to be a bit more mixed up on the 2016 tour anyway, but either way, I had a great time, and they sounded really good overall. It's nice to be impressed again, when you're not necessarily expecting to be. They said they hoped to come back again so fingers crossed for that.

Sep 24, 15 at 7:36am
Mister MacPhisto

Saeglopur, great to hear you had a good time and that the show was so good.

Any other standouts from the set? Or anything that you thought was better this time around?

Sep 23, 15 at 6:55pm
Saeglopur

Saw these guys for the third time last night. They still know how to impress, that's for sure. Tickets were expensive, but I hadn't really expected to see them again, and now that I have, I'm glad I took the opportunity. Also got to hear one of my all time favourites, Citizen Erased, for the second time, and the performances for the whole show were top notch. Really enjoyed it anyway, so if anyone's considering whether or not to go and see them over the next year or so, they still know how to put on a great show.

Oh, and also, Moya by Godspeed You! Black Emperor was playing over the speakers before they came on, which was just as awesome to witness, haha! XD

Jan 28, 15 at 6:11am
Mister MacPhisto

I think I actually started with Absolution.

Saeglopur, I second your nod on Showbiz. Hop on it Lorx... you crazy binary fella.

Jan 28, 15 at 5:56am
Saeglopur

I've always said that Origin Of Symmetry has the best songs but Absolution is the best album. Seriously though, Lorx, get yourself some Showbiz loving. Cracking album.

Jan 28, 15 at 12:42am
Lorx

quote Mister MacPhisto
Lorx

Your three top Muse albums.

Go!
  1. Black Holes and Revelations - The CD that got me into Muse in the first place, Knights of Cydonia is how I was introduced to the band, I have a large bias towards that album overall.
  2. Origin of Symmetry - Has a lot of awesome tracks. Citizen Erased, Futurism, Plug in Baby, Hyper Music, just a ton of stuff I really like. The overall tone is vibrant and busy in many of the songs, really nice to tear my car speakers apart with.
  3. Absolution - Some really standout tracks I like a lot, Hysteria's one of my favorite tracks so it's hard not to list it.
I actually keep records of how many tracks from an album I like or dislike when I sort them into their proper place in my computer, I find a binary system of thumbs up/down is way easier and more useful to me than the five star rating thing that's so common in music players and whatever. Under that metric, my top albums are:
Black Holes and Revelations is the one with the most tracks marked as being liked, 9. Origin of Symmetry, 2nd Law, Absolution and Resistance are all 5, Showbiz 0. Though I haven't made a second pass of Showbiz to see if my tastes have changed there in quite some time. Have a bunch of B-Sides and whatever as well, but that's harder to give an easily digested number on for stats. Quite a tie for second place!

One of these days I'll have to dig out my physical copies and make some FLACs and whatever of these, looking at my files it turns out some are old enough to be in decently bad encodes, which I've been trying to flush out and replace overall in my music stash.

Jan 27, 15 at 7:43pm
Mister MacPhisto

Lorx

Your three top Muse albums.

Go!

Jan 6, 15 at 1:24am
TerranceBryan

love this band so much

Jan 5, 15 at 9:29pm
Lorx

Panic Station is easily one of my favorites from the album, it's a fun, jumpy, energetic song.

Jan 5, 15 at 9:07pm
Distortion

See, I liked the Resistance. Sure Exogenesis was a bit over the top, but there are some solid songs on there. Uprising, Unnatural Selection, and Guiding Light are all great.

Well, at Lorx's behest, I gave 2nd Law a listen and to me the only standout song was Panic Station. Which I can never listen to just once.

Also there's this: