Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » TV Shows » Lost: The Final Season » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

May 18, 10 at 7:28pmScarecrow3000

Previous Thread

Starring (from left to right)

Jeff Fahey as Frank Lapidus
Zuleikha Robinson as Ilana Verdansky
Nestor Carbonell as Richard Alpert
Michael Emerson as Benjamin Linus
Naveen Andrews as Sayid Jarrah
Yunjin Kim as Sun-Hwa Kwon
Terry O'Quinn as John Locke and The Man in Black
Matthew Fox as Jack Shephard
Evangeline Lilly as Kate Austen
Josh Holloway as James "Sawyer" Ford
Emilie de Ravin as Claire Littleton
Daniel Dae Kim as Jin-Soo Kwon
Jorge Garcia as Hugo "Hurley" Reyes
Ken Leung as Miles Straume
quote ABC
The latest season of LOST definitely ended with a bang. Like, literally. A nuclear bang. That kaboom sets the stage for the final season, and we're counting the days for the Premiere Event Tuesday February 2nd 8/7c.

The show has always been teasing us with mysteries, but we do know some things. The island is always moving and it contains a pocket of powerful electromagnetic energy. That energy caused Oceanic 815 to crash. Fate, or maybe Jacob, seems to have brought all the passengers together. But then they all got separated, either by getting rescued from the island or by traveling through time or maybe it was a little of both. And now Jack Shephard (Matthew Fox) is rallying the survivors to rewrite their fates by preventing their plane from crashing in the first place. Oh, and we also know that a lot of you prefer Sawyer (Josh Holloway) to wear only his trademark sneer rather than a shirt.

Some of you were also probably thinking that LOST exec producers/masterminds Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse were making everything up as they went along. But after five seasons, everything is coming together into a grand master plan. And since Season 6 is the final season, start preparing for your mind to be blown because they're gonna have to tie up all those loose ends and pay things off with some answers. Pretty monumental, right? Or, to quote Hurley (Jorge Garcia), "Duuuude."

Warning: The following videos may contain spoilers.

The Final Season Promotional Video

Series Finale Promotional Video

Resume discussion here.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

May 23, 12 at 10:53pm
Deception

quote lollipopz
quote Deception
Like when Jack drank the water and became the new protector, there was no mystical backstory on how it works, you just drink the water and your the new protector, thats all there is to it.
The thing is with this example though, it isn't dragged out over the course of say, a season making you think there must be a reason for it. Also by this point you know enough about everything to accept that you don't need to know why drinking that water makes you the new protector It's things like Walt (who definitely was dragged out), Miles powers, Hurleys powers, etc that you want to know about cos it was made into such a big deal

Although it is kind of nice to be able to discuss this stuff. I've been wanting to for ages
I think its just because theyre people of different eras, Jacob and his mother wanted the whispering to be part of the 'ceremony', Jack preferred a more straight forward approach. I mean really, whoevers the protector can basically shift the rules as they please id presume.

May 23, 12 at 7:55pm
BrokenKnights

Season 1 is pure genius. Other than that, every season has a VERY shaky opening half with a closing half that is just as good if not better than Season 1. I remember not being able to get through either Season 4 or 5 on TV. But once everything came out on blu-ray it was a breeze. Spare, possibly The West Wing, LOST is one of the few shows I've seen that have gotten to run to a proper conclusion. I guess Friends also.

But yes, an era of TV is certainly ending. I talk about this with my friends that don't even watch TV. 24, LOST, House, The Office, Entourage -- these were all staples of television. Comedy's are still going strong with the likes of Parks and Rec and Modern Family holding the fort. But the drama department, at least on the networks is suffering and its sad. The obsession with nudity on cable is childish and off-putting. Got me off of Boardwalk Empire. I hope Boss turns it down, because that is a show I enjoyed, despite all the tits everywhere.

May 23, 12 at 12:33pm
Golden Miru warrior

It's been two years since The End and House finished up the other night so it feels like the end of a certain era of TV. It still seems decidedly fresh and recent. And as the time grows, what a landmark of a show. I re-watched a bunch of it earlier this year and had a good second take on the later seasons. Six is shit, for my money. Four and five are hugely under-appreciated.

So today's question: most underrated episode of the entire series?

I'm picking "LaFleur."

Apr 24, 12 at 7:26am
BrokenKnights

It's one of the few shows that's graced with a real ending. What's happened to the world since then? If LOST had ended last month, EA would be putting out DLC to "fix" it

Spectre

Apr 24, 12 at 7:16am
Saeglopur

Watched the last season again over the last few days and it still makes me cry. Giacchino is a *bleep*ing wizard, there's no other way of putting it. Had a delivery arrive this morning just as the last episode was ending and had to dry my eyes before I opened the door. I wish it could have carried on, and yet it's so much better for having an ending somehow.

Jan 25, 12 at 12:19am
BrokenKnights

I think my confusion has been allayed. When people say not all the questions were answered they're defining "question" radically different than I do.

Jan 24, 12 at 11:05pm
lollipopz

quote Deception
Like when Jack drank the water and became the new protector, there was no mystical backstory on how it works, you just drink the water and your the new protector, thats all there is to it.
The thing is with this example though, it isn't dragged out over the course of say, a season making you think there must be a reason for it. Also by this point you know enough about everything to accept that you don't need to know why drinking that water makes you the new protector It's things like Walt (who definitely was dragged out), Miles powers, Hurleys powers, etc that you want to know about cos it was made into such a big deal

Although it is kind of nice to be able to discuss this stuff. I've been wanting to for ages

Jan 23, 12 at 9:07am
Deception

What people don't realise is LOST is meant to be a mysterious show. If we knew everything in full detail it would ruin the charm. Besides, even Jacob doesn't quite understand what's going on. It's implied throughout the series that his this mysterious guy that holds all the answer, then we find out the island pre-dates him by a very long time and even he doesn't have a firm grasp on how things actually work. He knows that they work, and what the result of such actions are, but he doesn't actually know the mechanics that go into play. Like when Jack drank the water and became the new protector, there was no mystical backstory on how it works, you just drink the water and your the new protector, thats all there is to it.

Jan 23, 12 at 12:12am
Oogity_Boogity_Boo

The numbers were actually pretty well explained. 360 degrees in a circle, which is how the lighthouse spun. Each number on the lighthouse showed a different image, which was used to watch all of Jacob's potential candidates.

It's a testament to the fact that it was the fate of Oceanic 815 to crash on the island, because each of the numbers corresponded with one of the people on the plane.

4- Locke
8- Hurley
15- Sawyer
16- Sayid
23- Jack
42- Kwon (unknown if it's Sun or Jin or both)

The fact that these numbers kept popping up is fate, showing that these 6 (or seven) would be the final candidates for Jacob's position.

Jan 22, 12 at 9:13pm
Waldronnic

The Numbers, along with Walt being special, where up there with the 'Monster' and the whispers as the most pressing narrative questions on the Island for me.

quote lollipopz
Walt being special was an off-island mystery and because the Island had mystical abilities to heal and hold visions of the dead, it was implied that Walt was connected in some way. Just like Hurley and Miles' abilities to connect with the deceased, but the fact that the writers left that as an open-ended 'they are just special' answer, and never connected their special abilities to the Island really annoyed me. It's a Deus Ex Machina and it's almost as bad as bringing in a giant eagle at the end to carry them off the island.

Saying that I fully agree with what other posters in this thread have said about the point being that most of the main characters found themselves in a very satisfying and fitting way. I still think 'The End' was near perfect.