Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask » Happy Mask Salesman Theory » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Wooden Shield Beedle Boomerang Bow and Arrow Cucco Cat Clawshot Dark Triforce Deku Shield Power Din Ezlo Courage Farore Forest Minish Defeated Link Hero Bow Hookshot Blue Rupee Link Link Master Sword Minish Link Navi Wisdom Nayru Pendant of Courage Pendant of Power Pendant of Wisdom Zelda Scattershot Spinner Slingshot Triforce Triforce Link Vaati Windwaker Master Sword Zelda Zill

hideOriginal Post

Apr 28, 10 at 3:10pmSilverAntari

Note: This is a theory that I've been researching for a while now. I came up with the theory myself, but it's very possible that someone else also came up with it.

When you played Majora's Mask, have you ever find the Happy Mask Salesman a bit weird? Sure, he strangles Link and has an almost permanent grin on his face, but have you ever wondered if he has a secret intention?

When you first meet the Happy Mask Salesman, he tells you the Majora's Mask was stolen from him by an imp. What if, instead of the mask being stolen, the mask was given or sold to the imp? This may sound unlikely, but bare with me...

How exactly does the Happy Mask Salesman get the masks he sells? Does he buy them? Make them? What if he stole them?

Clock Town is a town filled with masks. Masks which the Happy Mask Salesman could sell. What if he made a plan to get every single mask in Clock Town?

By giving/selling the Majora's Mask to the imp, the evil of the Majora's Mask was unleased and Clock Town was going to be crushed by the moon. In order to stop it, Link had to get all 4 giants. While doing this, he was bound to pick up a number of masks.

When you get to the moon you will see 5 children. By speaking to the kid with the Majora's Mask, you can start the fight whit Majora. But by speaking to the other children, you have to do a mini-dungeon.
After completeing the mini-dungeon, the child will then ask you to give him some masks.

The children on the moon look a LOT like the Happy Mask Salesman. What if the children were working for the Happy Mask Salesman in order to get him all the masks?

I know this all sounds crazy and unlikely, but it does explain why the children on the moon look like the Happy Mask Salesman.

Notes:
- The Happy Mask Salesman is crazy. This may be why he would do all this just for masks.
- The Happy Mask Salesman thinks the Mask of Truth is "Frightful". Possibly because he's worried it'll know his plan?
- This entire theory sounded WAY better in my head.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 18, 14 at 8:17pm
AwsoReporter

[quote=SilverAntari|message:28466894]
Note: This is a theory that I've been researching for a while now. I came up with the theory myself, but it's very possible that someone else also came up with it.

When you played Majora's Mask, have you ever find the Happy Mask Salesman a bit weird? Sure, he strangles Link and has an almost permanent grin on his face, but have you ever wondered if he has a secret intention?

I totally agree and apperently he sells cursed masks, yet he has a mario mask, so maybe mario is cursed himself?

Nov 04, 13 at 5:05pm
ThatGamerGirl7

What if the happy mask salesman you see in MM isn't the same one you see in OOT? since mm is in another dimension, the mask salesman there might be like... a Terminian version of himself? I dunno. Its just a thought

Jul 25, 13 at 1:00am
laxstrat05

Hey everybody, my name is Chris.

I'm new to the Zelda community, but i've always been a big fan of the games. I just uploaded my first gamer video to youtube concerning Majora's Mask. If you loved that game, but you can't explain why exactly, this is the video for you. I remember being a kid and not understanding exactly what it was I was accomplishing, or why I loved it so much. The story was shrouded in mystery (especially that Happy Mask Salesman), and all that did was make me want to know more and more. So now I've got my first video in a long series that discusses the theories behind this game and the themes that are present throughout the story. All theories are unbiased, fact-checked and maintain continuity with respect to the Zelda universe.

Its doing well for a beginning video w/o a big audience, but I'd like to become apart of this community, and collaborate with other gamers and and become a part of the discussions happening. Please check out my video on youtube - "Majora's Mask Theory Talk-Through Discussion (Episode 1)".

Let me know what your theories are, so we can have a discussion.

Jul 23, 13 at 1:57pm
zeldalover0729

quote SilverAntari

When you first meet the Happy Mask Salesman, he tells you the Majora's Mask was stolen from him by an imp. What if, instead of the mask being stolen, the mask was given or sold to the imp? This may sound unlikely, but bare with me...

How exactly does the Happy Mask Salesman get the masks he sells? Does he buy them? Make them? What if he stole them?

Clock Town is a town filled with masks. Masks which the Happy Mask Salesman could sell. What if he made a plan to get every single mask in Clock Town?

By giving/selling the Majora's Mask to the imp, the evil of the Majora's Mask was unleased and Clock Town was going to be crushed by the moon. In order to stop it, Link had to get all 4 giants. While doing this, he was bound to pick up a number of masks.

When you get to the moon you will see 5 children. By speaking to the kid with the Majora's Mask, you can start the fight whit Majora. But by speaking to the other children, you have to do a mini-dungeon.
After completeing the mini-dungeon, the child will then ask you to give him some masks.

The children on the moon look a LOT like the Happy Mask Salesman. What if the children were working for the Happy Mask Salesman in order to get him all the masks?

I know this all sounds crazy and unlikely, but it does explain why the children on the moon look like the Happy Mask Salesman.

Notes:
- The Happy Mask Salesman is crazy. This may be why he would do all this just for masks.
- The Happy Mask Salesman thinks the Mask of Truth is "Frightful". Possibly because he's worried it'll know his plan?
- This entire theory sounded WAY better in my head.
What if the happymask salesmen is ganondorf? they do both play the pipe organ,
and the salesman looks like a gerudo.

Jan 10, 13 at 6:49am
OniLink197

Anyone notice his ears? He's part Hylian. I know it pertains nothin to the theory but its an observation.

Jan 07, 13 at 5:01pm
picklesuprise88

It may also explain how he is the only other one not reverted by the song of time and why he isn't dead after the moon crashes

Jan 07, 13 at 4:59pm
picklesuprise88

Ok, here is my theory. I believe the happy mask salesman is apart of the ancient ones. This would explain how he has majoras mask. I think he was making a pilgrimage to somewhere and skull kid stole it. He finished this pilgrimage after he got the mask back. That is why he phased off. As for the happy mask children. It would explain why they were on the moon. The salesman would know about every mask you show him because he has already seen it ( or perhaps, he MAKES the masks!)

Dec 23, 12 at 6:55pm
memeeeep

Termina is a parralel world so all the characters from hyrule should have a double in termina. But teh happy mask salesman comes from hyrule, he knows link and he probably entered termina the same way. He have strange powers and he knew song of healing. I believe he is some kind of troubled demonic forces and teh kids on the moon are his doubles, rmeember happy mask salesman is from hyrule, so he has a double in termina, but fro some reasons he has many and they wear gods masks and devil mask.

Nov 22, 12 at 7:26am
Owl

quote SilverAntari
[quote=Dark Silver|message:28493984][quote=InabyamaCastle Guard|message:28467894]

Also, the mask salesman seems to have mastered a fair bit of magic himself, as we saw with the disappearing. Surely thats not the only thing he can do. I'm of the mind that he had many more abilities, but didnt expose them. When he's leaving at the end, he doesnt mind letting Link see that particular trick, cause he IS leaving after all.
Agreed! In the Manga of it, he says something interesting:

"Heh heh... Looks like they're after the little demon. But this is when the real action begins! Once they bring me back that mask, I will no longer have a purpose in this world. I will scurry away quickly then! Heh heh heh heh..."
Ok sooo. The magic hence Happy Mask Salesman he is not a murderer he taught Link the Song of Healing because he knew it would be helpful along the quest. According to the Salesman "this is a melody that heals evil magic and troubled spirits, turning them into masks."
Healing most of terminal
So to the beginning as you see the Happy Mask SalesMan is on the ground just laying there.
To some part of extent i think he is dead.

Now to the quotes.
At the end he left or in other words vanished.
Hence on the manga " Once they bring me back that mask, I will no longer have a purpose in this world. I will scurry away quickly then! Heh heh heh heh..."
As souls wander the world of Termina they were troubled needing something or someone to heal them or in this case carry one their final wishes. So back to my theory of the SalesMan being a ghost/dead. His soul will wander the earth until that mask ( Majora's Mask) is back into his position.

Ok no another quote you guys have brought up.
"Heh heh... Looks like they're after the little demon. " The Demon could be referred to as Oni Link also known as Fierce Deity.
Now to another theory that i have. The word " Deity " means a god or goddess.
Fierce God - Link
The God was so overwhelmed with darkness that that the 3 Golden Goddesses had to banished the 4th god to the world to wander about as a form of a mask.
Now the only reason why the darkness of the mask doesnt overwhelm Link as Majora's did to Skull Kid is because of Link's piece of the Triforce he has " Courage " he has one of the Golden Gods looking after him.
But in the description on the mask it is said to have dark magic maybe even darker than Majora's Mask. " Oni " in japan means " Demon " Oni Link referred as Fierce Deity in the game could be what the Salesman is afraid of a mask more powerful to the powers of Majora's Mask.
" They're after the little demon " They were in search of The Fierce Deity mask because they must of known that the powers of the mask could greatly surpass the powers of Majora's.

I would type more but im to lazy to type my whole theory and/or theories.

Aug 31, 12 at 9:37pm
Krysten55

I think this theory is right! That dude is a total creeper and follows a little boy around and nearly strangles him to death! And there's just something seriously wrong with him! He disappears, makes a piano magically appear and has a song that "heals" spirits.