Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Patriot Valkyrie NAS Review » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Mar 05, 10 at 2:22amkspiess

Many folks don't even know that NAS devices are all about... but for many folks, they are just what they are looking for without even knowing it.

Today Pier-Luc takes a look at one such NAS device:

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 24, 12 at 6:24am
hiigaran

out of curiosity, were you able to verify if it really was a design problem, or if it was just a faulty unit?

Mar 24, 12 at 4:44am
dgogasa

This hardware is an absolute crap:
Hi Guys

Just thought I would let you know about the "Patriot Valkyrie Dual 3.5in NAS Enclosure" that is currently selling as one of the cheaper NAS's around. I purchased this a week ago from pccg.

As I could not find any recent good reviews I thought I would do a quick write up.

Basically I wanted it to be able to store network files & use as a bit torrent downloader.

My initial thoughts are that it was relatively easy to set up, the box is very sturdy and looks quite good.

Pros: It does what I want it to do, basically and has DNS access and a whole lot of other things with it. Hard drives are easily installed and slot in. Box is quiet I can't even hear it and it draws about 15Watts under load (from my dodgy ebay power meter) on idle it is significantly less depending on the type of drives you have.

Cons: It is incredibly slow to access, transfer files (sort of defeats the purpose of buying it). I was attempting to transfer data from 1 HDD to the other HDD (in BOHD mode) The best speeds I was getting was about 10mb/second. Now I was tranferring 100GB to the other drive (both sata 2s) and it took 6hours.

The same goes for transferring files from the LAN to the box, basically I was getting anywhere from 5mb – 10mb a second, very rarely did it pop over 12mb for more than a few seconds.

The software that comes with it, is clumsy, crap, doesnt work properly in firefox and extremely basic. The Bit torrent section is very basic, and consists of, add file, download, delete. There is a 'global settings' but this only lets you select how fast to download, not scheduling or anything like that. It really does look like a 12 year old knocked it up in front page express.

It has USB extension ports, for other devices, but they dont work! Yes you actually have to format the device first in its own preferred file format before it will let you recognise it. I tried 3 different devices and it would recognise none!.

Most of the features struggle to run when even 1 hard drive is in use, so if you expect to transfer files, while a bit torrent is running... good luck.

I streamed a movie from in (in div x format) to my tv and it seemed to run quite well. There was no stutter or anything like that, however it took ages to load the div x about 20-30 seconds.

The support from Patriot is really pathetic, you only have to log onto there forums to see the amount of unhappy people. Patriot have been promising a firmware update for about 4 months now that should 'fix' everything but as yet nothing has been heard and there is no actual employees that respond on the forums. Think battlefield 2 and the promised patch that came 2 years later?.

If I had to choose again I would build my own crappy file server as at least you could get the full use of the network!. I have 10/100/1000mb connections on my network and to get 5mb a second is just pathetic.

If you want a cheap NAS box to download torrents, or can restrict it in your router, and don't mind having to wait a stupid amount of time while your files transfer,and you dont actually have to 'back anything up' then this would be for you!.

If however you want a device that works, stick to something else because this is a waste of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please feel free to ask me any questions and I will update this post with them.

Mar 05, 10 at 9:28pm
hiigaran

i guess

Mar 05, 10 at 8:24pm
Zertz

quote hiigaran
500? eww
You get what you pay for!

Mar 05, 10 at 7:36pm
hiigaran

500? eww

Mar 05, 10 at 7:15pm
Zertz

quote hiigaran
i mean more like what is it about that processor that makes it so slow.
Oh. Probably because it's clocked at 500 MHz

It's a tiny board in a small enclosure too so they probably ran into thermal limitations...

Mar 05, 10 at 5:59pm
hiigaran

i mean more like what is it about that processor that makes it so slow.

Mar 05, 10 at 5:28pm
Zertz

quote hiigaran
was there any specific mention of why it was so slow?
Yep

It's the Marvell processor they use (like most cheap NAS) that is slow

Mar 05, 10 at 2:35pm
hiigaran

despite its relatively low cost, im not impressed by that performance. unless i missed it - was there any specific mention of why it was so slow?

Mar 05, 10 at 2:22am
kspiess

Many folks don't even know that NAS devices are all about... but for many folks, they are just what they are looking for without even knowing it.

Today Pier-Luc takes a look at one such NAS device: