Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle » Even worse or improved? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 28, 10 at 7:08pmMario Legend

Preferably I hated they game it was too perverted and off putting. It may have blood but that's not just what a game needs.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 07, 11 at 4:28am
g1rldraco7

I'll admit alot of stuff they went too far in the humor and gore. I ate the fact you ant drive around like the first one. Still the story is good.

Sep 28, 11 at 12:51am
Goldendriger17

Uhhh...Hard to say. I like it, but not as much. A- *bleep* those gun enemies, B- *bleep* those chainsaw guys, waste of time, C- *bleep* those minigames, in NMH1 at least they made use of the Wii controls rather than just an 8 bit game, D- *bleep* the level up system, Seriously i spent 50,000 trying to get a strength upgrade but i couldnt and that was about 3 levels before the end and E- *bleep* Jasper Batt Jr.
Good points-
More bosses
More combos
Pressing "B" Is now useful
switching weapons
Different characters (Although Shinobu's platforming was HORRIBLE)
EXCELLENT Music, seriously i put some of those on my Ipod
Great jokes and character dialog
7th ranked battle (What a twist...)

That being said, i prefer NMH1 (Although i played them back to back) NMH2 Could be better if-
*bleep* THAT GYM! Basically fix this
Not so many gun enemies, take out the giant guys, too much HP but are easily stuned so it's pointless.
Take out Jasper Batt Jr's Hadoken thing

Fix that and id say you have the perfect NMH game...maybe tweak Shinobu so her Platforming isnt ungodly bad (Seriously anyone else spend 25 minutes in that room trying to smash those laser controls?)

Jun 23, 10 at 11:21am
Ari

I feel that No More Heroes 2 took several steps forward, only to take several steps backwards as well. It was better that the first No More Heroes, but it's not all it could have been.
Some of the things that held it back include...
-The game's camera. Most of the time, I feel like I'm fighting with the camera instead of with my enemies. I can always snap it to where Travis is facing with the C button, but I feel like I have to do that every time I change directions.
-The platforming missions. Honestly, I just wish they left these out; I get that Shinobu's a ninja and all that, but the camera and controls just aren't suited for a platforming setup. When you combine it with cheap boss battles, it becomes downright aggravating.
-Speaking of Shinobu, it seems that her character did a complete 180 in this game; now she's no longer the silent, yet terrifyingly awesome badass that she was in No More Heroes 1; they turned her into a fangirl. I find The NMH2 version of her repulsive. Also, it seems she wasn't necessary to the story at all; if not for them promising you could play as Shinobu and Henry, they might have just left her out all together.
-Doing the mini-games for cash is nice, but I miss NMH1's assassination side-missions; they paid well and were a welcome change from the normal side-jobs. NMH2 has revenge missions (which I just discovered on my second playthrough yesterday), but they don't give you any sort of monetary reward at the end for your performance. 8 or 9 missions in, they haven't given me anything.
-It feels as if this game's bosses recycle a variety of archetypes used from NMH1's bosses. We have the male musicians smothered by prostitutes (Death Metal and Nathan Copeland), the two men with the golden guns (Doctor Peace and Million Gunman), the swordsmen who can summon dragons out of the energy of their blades (Dark Star and Ryuji), the women that subtly hint at strange fetishes (Bad Girl and Cloe Walsh), etc.
-Lastly, the main story could have definitely used some work. Killing Travis' best friend was...inventive, I suppose, but the execution of it was weak.

I could make a list of all the positives, but Mikstaslaya seems to have done a good enough job.

Jun 18, 10 at 4:15pm
SirMunk

i dislike NMH2
worse looking graphics in my opinion
to much pervy-ness
i miss being able to walk or drive the motorcycle
the gym is ran by a gay dude now
not as funny as NMH, to serious besides the pervy-ness

May 02, 10 at 2:33am
veyron259

Much better than the original. Suda listened to his fans of the first game and amended various changes in the game such as the GTA style of having to physically walk everywhere. The games battle sequences and combat system are improved and the game is much more challenging in general.

Mar 19, 10 at 8:52pm
Mikstaslaya

No More Heroes 2 is far better. Polish, features, and overall package wise. They never made a promise of 51 boss fights, they simply stated you would start at rank 51 and fight more bosses in this game than you did in the first game which was true seeing as there are a total of 15 boss fights in this game (including Kimmy) and only 10 (including Henry) in the first game.

The game has been vastly improved for a multitude of reasons:
  • The over-world, which was just a waste of disk space and time in the first game (due to various bugs, the overall lack of features, and horrible bike controls), has been removed and replaced by a neater, easier to navigate map screen.
  • The jobs are very much improved and actually give decent pay this time.
  • The beam katanas are actually different instead of being straight upgrades of each other which, in the first game, made it pointless to use other beam katanas after you have already bought the latest one.
  • The fact that there are no ranking fees or beam katana upgrades means the game forces much less money grinding and focuses more on the action that made NMH1 a hit.
  • The combos are longer, easier to pull off, and have more depth than the first game's combos. And yes this goes for melee attacks too.
  • The music seems cooler and more varied, adding to the style of the game.
  • The physics are improved (knocking over and destroying objects used as cover)
  • The graphics are very much improved (not only in texture detail but also in cool effects such as the light shining in the color of a beam katana every slash and light reflection).
  • The ecstasy attacks are way nicer and have more variety.
  • The motorcycle (while not often that you use it) controls are so much better and more polished.
  • The music seems cooler and more varied, adding to the style of the game.
  • Added ways to attack.
  • Enemy AI is vastly improved and the difficulty levels scale up the AI in this game instead of the first game where only the health and damage of the enemies was changed.
  • Five more ranking fights makes the game longer and more satisfying.
  • Story is improved in a sense that it has more humor, more style, a much stronger message, and character development for Travis (though not so much for the bosses).
  • A death match mode letting you play any bosses you want over again.
  • The gym training is actually interesting and fun instead of some stupid easy button mashing from the first game.
  • The enemy types actually consist of four classes now (quick dagger user, normal wrench/katana user, fat chainsaw/axe/katana user, and gunman) as opposed to the two in the first game (gunman and normal).
  • Fighting bosses is WAY better and seems to be a true test of skill instead of in No More Heroes 1 where you could only hurt the enemy at certain times (otherwise it would make a clink sound as if the bosses were blessed with adamantium skin) and had to darkstep spam to victory.
  • There is now a finisher move after every boss which spices up the cut scenes.
  • Combining slashes and punches is far easier.

Keeping in mind the multitude of improvements above, I have to say No More Heroes 2 is far, far better with literally no contest (at least in my opinion).

Mar 01, 10 at 4:09pm
Duncan Idaho

this was Suda who borke the promise, he had power of all the project all along, and ims till trying to breaktrough his plot, it seems a set up of revenge, but there is something else under it, like in killer7, his previous work to NMHm its a good title.

Mar 01, 10 at 3:19am
Mario Legend

quote Duncan Idaho
quote mario legend
Preferably I hated they game it was too perverted and off putting. It may have blood but that's not just what a game needs.
it toppled the original by a lot in history, and in gamepaly, but in lenghts its a scam, you wotn be facign a ton of assasns,a nd many promises were broke, Ex: club nintendo published on one of its past editiosn that there was gonna be a figth againts 5 assasins, the only multi assasin figth, is a lower rank (as in 7 or 6th rnak)and its not what i was expecting, you play with shinobu twice, and henry once.
Nintendo has broken MANY promises too the public.

Mar 01, 10 at 1:00am
Duncan Idaho

quote mario legend
it toppled the original by a lot in history, and in gamepaly, but in lenghts its a scam, you wotn be facign a ton of assasns,a nd many promises were broke, Ex: club nintendo published on one of its past editiosn that there was gonna be a figth againts 5 assasins, the only multi assasin figth, is a lower rank (as in 7 or 6th rnak)and its not what i was expecting, you play with shinobu twice, and henry once.

Feb 28, 10 at 7:08pm
Mario Legend