Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Classic Gaming » Currently Playing » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Jan 10, 10 at 9:30pmFeisar

I saw a thread like this in the General PSX forum.
I also searched in the forum directory, and got nothing, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Currently Playing: F22 Interceptor (Mega Drive), Hellfire (Mega Drive), Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX (PSX), Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB).

Plan on playing:
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PSX), Sonic 3D (Mega Drive), Super Mario Land (GB), Doki Doki Panic (Famicom, pleeeaasee?)

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 15, 16 at 11:40pm
Bruce

Shame about that Castlevania but glad the Shining Force game is going well....

Jun 15, 16 at 6:22pm
Oglop

quote Shin Ra
I got a bit tired of Castlevania now, it's not very imaginative. The castle is inverted and enemies are just a lot harder but the game hasn't really become funner as a result.
This is unfortunately the main issue with Maria and Richter. Since they don't level up and gain equipment the way Alucard does, there's not as big a sense of progression, and things can get repetitive towards the end.

Jun 15, 16 at 3:57pm
Shin Ra

I got a bit tired of Castlevania now, it's not very imaginative. The castle is inverted and enemies are just a lot harder but the game hasn't really become funner as a result. I'm doing well on Shining Force 3, I've been recruiting the optional characters and recently beat quite a hard boss.

On gameboy I'm waiting for my cheat cartridge so I can hopefully play through some of the harder games I've got that are just impossible for me. I'm waiting for the right tool so I can replace the battery in Pokemon Crystal and start that and in the mean time I'm playing through "Pokemon Jade" which is a bootlegged, japanese to chinese to engrish translation of a real game called Telefang. It's quite awful and buggy but also funny because of it. Instead of the monsters living in pokeballs you phone them up.

Jun 15, 16 at 12:24pm
Bruce

Cool! How are the other games going?

Jun 15, 16 at 12:20pm
Shin Ra

quote Bruce
As in a trading card game?
Yeah before there were too many cards and sets they made the card game for gameboy. It's really really good

Jun 15, 16 at 10:52am
Bruce

As in a trading card game?

Jun 15, 16 at 10:44am
Shin Ra

I completed Pokemon TCG on gameboy :>

Jun 10, 16 at 11:19pm
Bruce

Great stuff, thanks! I imagine there are guides around if you need them....

Jun 10, 16 at 5:38pm
Oglop

quote Shin Ra
Castlevania is going well, it's hard to navigate the Castle though, I don't really know where I'm going or where I'm meant to be going. Obviously I know I'm supposed to go in rooms I haven't been in before but I have no idea if that's leading me towards or away from the objective. Still it's fun killing the baddies and Maria has an awesome moveset. The button combinations for her spells are a pain though I'm twiddling around for like 30 seconds before I successfully cast a spell that I needed.
Playing as Alucard gives you slightly more sense of direction since he's the character that most players play as for their first run, but generally speaking up is usually the way to progression.

And yeah, spellcasting is ludicrously difficult in SOTN. Richter has a dash that requires two taps to the left, a half circle in the direction you're facing, and two taps to the right, followed by hitting Attack. Speedrunners have to chain these dashes into each other in order to get through some parts, and as someone who's tried it, it's absolute hell. Practice makes perfect I suppose.

Jun 10, 16 at 3:22pm
Shin Ra

quote Bruce
quote Shin Ra
I'm currently playing Shining Force 3 and Castlevania Symphony of the Night on Sega Saturn.
How are those going? Update us!
Castlevania is going well, it's hard to navigate the Castle though, I don't really know where I'm going or where I'm meant to be going. Obviously I know I'm supposed to go in rooms I haven't been in before but I have no idea if that's leading me towards or away from the objective. Still it's fun killing the baddies and Maria has an awesome moveset. The button combinations for her spells are a pain though I'm twiddling around for like 30 seconds before I successfully cast a spell that I needed.

Shining Force 3 is getting better now I'm in to chapter 2. This game is really interesting in that it is split in to 3 discs that were released as standalone games in Japan but for the rest of the world they only released disc one with an altered ending because they were not going to release disc 2 and 3 with the Saturn on its last legs. So basically the western world got a 3rd of the whole game with a modified ending to tie it up.

The diehard Shining Force fans weren't having that though, they've gone and translated the whole Japanese release for us so that we can experience the game the way it was meant to be which is awesome. I am just astounded by the kindness and effort that goes in to such a massive project like that. These fans gave so much time and made no personal gain from doing it other than giving us less able folks a chance to play the game in it's entirety.

The reason I wanted to play this longer version is that you meet various characters through the game and make various decisions which impact on who you meet and who you can recruit as the game progresses but with the Western version of the game being cut off most of those decisions and characters you meet mean absolutely nothing since there is no later game for them to come and join your team!

and yes I posted it here instead since the games are retro and *bleep* gaming lounge