Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » The First USB 3.0 Compatible Motherboard - ASUS P6x58 » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Dec 23, 09 at 1:16pmhiigaran

Source

this new USB version allows a 4.8 Gbps transfer rate, which would be great for later models of USB external hard drives, as they would still be able to stay close enough to the speeds of firewire and eSATA. however, im sure this transfer speed is not that of a sustained transfer, so i wouldnt get my hopes up high for this.

now my only question is, what hardware is there currently that would be able to utilise this? i wonder if this is going to be that much more expensive because of the USB 3.0. if so, it would be rather stupid.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 23, 09 at 10:27pm
hiigaran

hehe, sorry. i dont keep up with all parts of tech. alright, well thats clarified then.

Dec 23, 09 at 10:11pm
Nu Wa Rocks

CES = Computer Electronic Show (normally held in Las Vegas)

LOL @ Player1's post above

Dec 23, 09 at 10:10pm
Player1

Woah are you serious?

Dec 23, 09 at 10:04pm
hiigaran

SuperTalent, OCZ and probably others have very fast USB 3.0 drives on the way, expect to see them at CES in a couple weeks.
was CES a typo for ECS by any chance? if not, what is CES?

[size=1][color=#666666]This message was edited by hiigaran on Dec 23 2009.

Dec 23, 09 at 9:40pm
Zertz

We've had USB 3.0 boards for a while now
Gigabyte and ASUS both have had P55 USB 3.0 / SATA 6 Gbps boards on the market for at least a month now.

Look at those Gigabyte boards, they aren't expensive. Of course the X58 boards are pricier, but it's not intended as a value platform so that's perfectly fine with me!

SuperTalent, OCZ and probably others have very fast USB 3.0 drives on the way, expect to see them at CES in a couple weeks. There's also a few USB 3.0 hard drives enclosures out there, but they're pointless until we get faster drives.

Dec 23, 09 at 2:43pm
dangerman200k

I saw a USB 3.0 PCI card for about £20 and I was suprised that it wasn't really expensive. Only had 2 ports though.

Dec 23, 09 at 1:32pm
Shadow of Death

I doubt it would jack up the price much TBH.

I can't imagine an upgrade to USB3 would require much additional cost. No doubt they'll add a bit of an obligatory premium to it, seeing as it is the first out of the door, but not much (maybe $10 /random choice).

All the same, they'd probably get a boost in sales, seeing as it's the first USB3 Mobo.

Dec 23, 09 at 1:16pm
hiigaran

Source

this new USB version allows a 4.8 Gbps transfer rate, which would be great for later models of USB external hard drives, as they would still be able to stay close enough to the speeds of firewire and eSATA. however, im sure this transfer speed is not that of a sustained transfer, so i wouldnt get my hopes up high for this.

now my only question is, what hardware is there currently that would be able to utilise this? i wonder if this is going to be that much more expensive because of the USB 3.0. if so, it would be rather stupid.