Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » General Playstation 3 » What causes YLOD » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Dec 20, 09 at 6:10am

I've been a PS3 owner for about a month and i was wondering what causes the YLOD

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 09, 13 at 7:39am
HunterKiller666

quote pinkfluffyslippers
quote HunterKiller666
I think air flow is better when the unit is standing up. Obviously your PS3 is already experiencing overheat issue so I don't expect it to last very long even when standing up. Better start backing up your shit if you haven't already.

do you know that PS symbol under the disk slot is actually a switch
The logo? A switch for what exactly? Pretty sure it's just there for show.

Sep 07, 13 at 7:09pm
pinkfluffyslippers

quote HunterKiller666
I think air flow is better when the unit is standing up. Obviously your PS3 is already experiencing overheat issue so I don't expect it to last very long even when standing up. Better start backing up your shit if you haven't already.

do you know that PS symbol under the disk slot is actually a switch

May 07, 13 at 6:37am
DarshD

Usually, over-heating and the age of a PS3 can get it the YLOD. Many of my buddies had it when their PS3 was 7 years old. Mine is 4 years old atm and has started to show the age. It asks for the date and time on every boot and has disc tray eject issues.
Also this could be a sign of a future YLOD problem or at least related to YLOD, according to HunterKiller666
-

quote Darknet
Microsoft
A conspiracy

May 06, 13 at 2:18pm
HunterKiller666

May 05, 13 at 2:53am
jmburns815

i moved my PS3 into the bedroom to watch a blue ray with the misus and started getting YLOD when i tried to turn it on
i turned the playstation on its side (like a Wii) and it started to work

anyone know why this is?

Dec 28, 12 at 8:35pm
ZombieMan7

I have had a slim for over 3 years now and I just got the YLOD so all of the systems really have a chance of getting it, I have not ever heard about it till I got my YLOD either so there is not much you can do except watch where you place your system, don't get it to hot, careful of power surges, don't shake or move your system alot, and just be aware that it can happen to every system but careful care of your system will prevent it.

Nov 09, 12 at 5:11pm
nipsen

..what's causing it is the cooling goop caking. At that point it works as insulation instead of a heat conductor, so the areas near the two big chips (rsx, cell) get extremely warm. And that might, after a very long time, cause the solder and the connectors on motherboard to fail.

The reason it was a bigger problem with the original ps3s, was a combination of Sony using the most expensive goop they could find, and the guys at Foxconn were very generous with applying it (a thicker layer will cake more easily). Also, since the cooling block is one solid block of copper, it would be less flexible than the motherboard. Besides the first generation boards had higher watt components, that would produce more heat than the next version.

Meaning that when the ps3 would get heated and cooled often.. which it usually will be the way people treat a console - it will be stuck inside a cupboard, or inside a shelf, next to a window, right next to a heating element, lying on a carpet, etc. and then people will turn them off and they'll cool down completely in a cold room, perhaps... so then the board would heat up and completely cool down, and bend slightly back and forth (see the same effect on any other hardware if the components get heated and cooled off often). Until you would get air in the cooling goop, and it will evaporate and cake (note: happens to any computer with expensive goop not put on properly/carefully - and it will also happen over time eventually).

And... since of course people don't react when the fans are going 100% all the time, that's when it continues to overheat until it breaks.

That's when you get the ylod. This actually takes quite a while. I saw several systems with burn-marks on the chips and the cooling block, for example, and scorched plastic around the chips. Then the motherboard is bent from the pressure of the hook-ups that strap the cooling block to the chips/motherboard. Are these cm-wide metal plates hooked to the four corners on the top, plus a similar support on the back). And these systems still booted up "for a short while", like one guy said. It's a mystery how they functioned at all. Or how people who owned these consoles wouldn't notice the burned bakelite smell over.. had to be several weeks. Maybe months.

The newer consoles haven't had as many problems since they've used thicker goop (read: cheaper goop, no arctic silver ultra-thin ceramic compound with ground pegasus horn, or whatever it is they're using), or just the adhesive cooling pads (substance like gum). These are more flexible, and burn less easily. Overall the heat-conductivity is lower, of course, but these things work just fine since as long as the chips they use on the motherboard aren't actually.. you know.. burned with a blow-torch, they keep the same low temp. They're unbelievably durable. Amazing it actually got as much attention as it did - I refuse to believe it actually was as common as some people say. Imo, utterly unlikely that the real number of returns because of overheating was ever higher than 5%.

Anyway. So to avoid the ylod, make sure that you send it to be fixed or replaced if you notice the fans are going full speed when they should be idling. If the chassis and the air venting out of the ps3 is almost cold even after playing for a long time, that's also a sign the heat isn't getting vented. So if you can, then it might be an idea to contact the place you bought it and have it exchanged/repaired on warranty (if you live in a country with consumer protection like that..). You won't notice any artefacts or hangs or anything like that because of the heat, but you will notice the burned electronics smell..

Another thing is avoiding to replace the hdd with some 7200rpm scorpio drive, or something of that sort. Don't do that. A hdd that can end up at 70-80 degrees will lead heat into the connectors on the motherboard, and it might cause that uneven/bent motherboard effect.

In 90% of the cases, though -- don't put the ps3 inside the TV-cabinet. Or take it out and put it sideways beside the tv-cupboard or something, and you should be fine.

Just as an example - I've had my ps3 running pretty much day and night since I bought it in 2009. And it probably is less likely to break down than one that has been turned on and off more. That's just how it works when you have a huge copper-block placed on top of two separate chips on the motherboard like that..

The power-supply as well is extremely unlikely to break as long as you don't pull out the cord and put it in very often. (Flipping the power-switch at the back while the device is running a game is just going to cause heat to be contained longer, since you don't run out the heat with the fans while the processor is idling).

I mean, it's the same with your razor or a toaster - they break if you power the device while you plug it in, instead of using the switch like you're supposed to. Seems to be a higher number of broken electronic devices overall in areas with uneven current, or many outages, though..

Nov 09, 12 at 12:04pm
rayan-sto

I got ylod and i fixed it at home
iam wondering how long my ps3 will stay on
and how can i avoid the ylod again?

Oct 04, 12 at 6:32pm
Piss Toes

What's YLOD?

Oct 01, 12 at 2:56pm
ryan knight

so I have a 40gb non backwards comatible ps3 fats and I need a little guidance

I have the ylod turn my ps3 on and it it turns yellow then flashing red

Now I took it apart reflowed the solder and applied new thermal paste just too see if that was the cause but when I put the unit back together absolutely no change.

I did buythis unit from a guy who says he dropped the ps3 then that's when it started when I popped it open there were and are missing screws I could see it has already been tampered with probably by the previous owner

My question is if it's not the thermal paste or the reflow and the motherboard looks fine then what is the problem with my unit ?

I'm thinking it could be the power supply might be damaged but if that's happens not to be the case does anybody have any other clues or ideas all suggestions welcome