Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Assassin's Creed II » What does Ezio say when he... » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Abstergo Pirate Assassin Pirate Assassin Pirate Assassin Pirate Assassin Pirate Assassin Pirate Assassin Unity Altair Arno Assassin Connor Ezio

hideOriginal Post

Nov 25, 09 at 5:40pmKing Bubsgonzola

Assassinates a main target?

It means Rest in Peace, but in Italian. I know it is something beginning with R and then in Pace.

Is it Requiesta or something?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Apr 12, 14 at 9:49pm
niko

quote waxify
"requiesca in pace" is what he says, and it's latin
it not latin mi amico.

Apr 12, 14 at 9:39pm
niko

no its not a disrespectful tone, Requiescant in pace means rest in peace, if u remember mario telling ezio to show respect to the ones who murdered his family, its a sign of good will im italian you say Requiescant in pace at a funeral, same as sleep now the bold spirit or rst in peace,

Jul 05, 13 at 10:00am
waxify

"requiesca in pace" is what he says, and it's latin

May 02, 13 at 8:01pm
theemc

quote theemc
it's own language even before the 16th century, proper Latin was still widely known (and touted) by the wealthy classes.
BA in History
And as a history major I can't help but proofread and edit myself... "its", not "it's", and I meant to say "flaunted", not "touted".

Ezio does clearly say "requiescat in pace" in the game.

May 02, 13 at 7:51pm
theemc

While Italians say "Risposa in pace", especially now, it may be slightly anachronistic to assume this was also the case during the 16th century. This is especially so considering that even until the late 20th century (and even still today) the Roman Catholic Church has been using Latin. Though the use of Latin really diminished after around the 5th-6th Century, it was adapted and changed over many centuries, which is why we have so many Latin-based languages. While Italian was cemented as it's own language even before the 16th century, proper Latin was still widely known (and touted) by the wealthy classes.

Tl,dr; It might not have been uncommon for an upper class Italian Ezio to use Requiescat in Pace (btw, he does pronounce this right, if we assume that he's speaking ecclesiastical Latin, which he probably would be) instead of risposa in pace.

BA in History

Dec 21, 12 at 11:14am
vincento

Requiescat in pace

Nov 26, 12 at 10:43am
chrizZ

sorry i didn't observed that what he was saying

Jul 07, 12 at 12:56pm
Jude

Requiescat de pace

Apr 14, 12 at 7:17am
wsmith

Requiescat in pace is 'rest in peace' in Latin. Ezio's pronunciation is incorrect. To pronounce 'pace' in Latin would be 'pack-eh'. Ezio's 'patch-eh' pronunciation is modern Italian. Yes, I know I should get out more.

Feb 11, 12 at 12:49pm
j-dog

he either says "reposare in pace" or "regesta in pace"