Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Borderlands » Is Mordecai over powered ? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Angel_BL1 Brick_BL1 Claptrap_CL4P-TP Lilith_BL1 Moxxi_BL1 Ned_BL1

hideOriginal Post

Nov 04, 09 at 2:15amSuperSoaker

I'm asking this question, beause what happened to me tonight made my jaw drop down to the floor.

I'm a levle 28 Mordecai currently in Playtrough #1 and i made it to crit (?) 99999 on a scyther lvl 21(or whatever they're called..those little bug things)in New Haven.

I was playin online with a friend when i thought " Hey let's try out my new +200% meele dmg Revolver" so i ran towards those Scythers and meeled one.And the damage already was jaw dropping: 45k!!! After killing him my Relentless icon appeared and i thought "Let's see how high we can get " so i killed another one and did 99999 dmg on him Oo.

I did this with:
+200% meele dmg revolver
Lethal Strike lvl 5
Relentless lvl 5

now im asking you : is mordecai that op ? Does "Deadly" affect your meele dmg? Was that a crit ( since ididnt get the critical msg).

in case this is normal and it happen to a few of you...then god damn this game is an unbalanced piee of...

I'm not using any kind of exploits or whatever at all.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 17, 12 at 12:41pm
dude

get your facts and spellings right before you complain about someone being overpowered when you atack a crappy enemy who is 7 levels less than you anyway

Sep 04, 12 at 10:35pm
GameAce

Mordecai is extremely overpowered in my opinion, seeing as his shots can ignore shields at 100% chance when the ability is maxed out. I use this setup:

Pestilent Defiler (Caustic x4)
1280 Damage
93.3 Accuracy
1.3 Reload Speed (I think? Somewhere close, or a little lower, even.)

There may have been an accuracy or reload speed boost as well, but I don't recall right now.

I also use a Gunslinger class mod which gives +10 reload speed and ammo regeneration. Basically, I can hold the trigger and fire my two shots, and by the time I reload my ammo has regenerated..so unending firepower. I can defeat Knoxx by myself on P2 with ease..Crawmerax, that's a different story. >.>

Aug 21, 12 at 6:59am
HunterKiller666

quote Andrew Cobbletits
I feel I must go on record as saying that SuperSoaker is clearly 12.
That's kinda uncalled for. Supersoakers are fun for all ages.

Aug 21, 12 at 12:00am
Andrew Cobbletits

I feel I must go on record as saying that SuperSoaker is clearly 12.

Nov 09, 09 at 10:44pm
Megas MkII

I play exclusively as Mordecai, and he does have some great benefits. His Survivor class mod often adds regeneration to his health, which is far better than any health kit if you can dodge or get to a safe place. To this end, his skills are quite helpful in making him a very wise choice. Use the sniper tree to get what you want out of it, like Focus to increase accuracy by twenty five percent and reduce the sway of the rifle by half, Caliber to improve damage by twenty percent. Killer to me seems pointless, but it can temporarily increase your damage by forty percent and your reload speed by thirty. Smirk increases experience by fifteen percent on a critical kill, so that can be useful if you can kill a boss in such a manner at a lower level than they're at. Loaded increases the size of a sniper magazine (Or cylinder in some cases) by seventy percent. On a good gun, that gives you a lot of ammo to work with. Three goes to five, six goes to ten, it's very useful. Carrion Call reduces the time it takes to use Bloodwing just by shooting someone. And lastly you've got Trespass. At full upgrade, this ignores enemy shields completely and all bullets do five percent more damage. Think of how much damage the Sniper Rifle gets with this tree. I myself use Focus, Caliber, Smirk, Loaded, and Trespass for this tree. With a Sniper Rifle, Mordecai is just evil.

Then there's Rogue. Swift Strike increases Bloodwing's damage by double and makes him forty percent faster. Swipe makes enemies drop more cash, ammo, and sometimes weapons, up to five extra things. Fast hands increases reload speed by forty percent, so less time reloading a gun that might take time you need to kill someone. Combine with Killer for seventy percent faster reloading. Get a good gun and you don't even see him reloading, it seems like it's belt fed. Then you've got Out For Blood, which gives you thirty five percent of damage done as health. Think about that, you're doing four digit damage, and you're getting a little over a third of it as health for yourself. Evil. Aerial Impact, daze your foes. 'nuff said. Ransack, kill someone, and the next guy drops more stuff, and then the next guy, rinse and repeat. Bird of Prey... Yeah, up to six seperate attacks from Bloodwing. Combine with Ransack and you're rich in minutes.

Gunslinger is one I've yet to use, because I rarely use pistols, but I can appreciate it. Deadly increases critical hit damage by up to thirty percent. Useful against many enemies. Gun Crazy gives a forty percent chance to fire two shots at once. I don't see it as useful because of the low chance, but I'm sure it'd help with certain guns. Lethal strike, well, get past the shield and you do more melee damage, but how often do you use melee? Is it enough to consider this, or is it something for emergencies only? Riotous Remedy... Well, helpful if there are a lot of enemies to kill and you need that boost at the time for a few seconds. Predator is very useful. Cut the cooldown time significantly. Yeah, helpful. Hair trigger, increase the size of your pistol mag and the firing rate increases marginally. One is good for revolvers, one is good for repeaters. Mag for repeaters, speed for revolvers of course. One extra bullet for a revolver may not be enough to make it useful. Last but not least, Relentless. Increase your firing rate by killing an enemy, and it gives you a chance for a killer shot to deal more damage for a few seconds. Helpful in a pinch, but what if it's one on one?

Overall, it depends on your personal playing style, but I'll say that Mordecai is only overpowered if you upgrade him a certain way.

How I've done that is Five ranks in Focus, Caliber, Smirk, Loaded, and Trespass in Sniper. Your shield is no longer in play, so make your peace with your lord, because you may be going to pay him/her a visit. Actually, I've only three ranks in Caliber, but I plan to max it out. In Rogue I have five ranks in Swift Strike, Ransack, and Fast Hands. Soon I will get the other two ranks in Bird of Prey. That will be all for my skill points. Gunslinger holds nothing I feel like I'll ever use since I prefer my rifle.

For Mods though, Mordecai can further be made more annoying. Survivor can give him very fast health regeneration, and if he has a powerful enough Panacea shield, then the fight may come down to a matter of bullets and who has the better special skill damage. I don't use his other mods often, but his Sniper mod can regenerate his sniper ammo, and his Gunslinger mod can regenerate his revolver ammo, so if it comes down to ammo and Mordecai has a Gunslinger or Sniper with ammo regen, and a panacea shield, you may be in for a long battle, with no end to his guns ammo supply if all he uses is one or the other with the right Mod.

Nov 09, 09 at 4:17pm
Dyft

Well I have Brick at level 50. I use a Tank/Berserk Build as I do NOT like rocket launchers in this game. Using a max hit point shield (+60% HP from Skills +60% from shield another +40% from class Mod) Mord can still trash him especially if he’s using the bloodwing snare. In fact any class that can snare usually rips him apart. Also, my Shield that has 60% +HP on it has 1200ish shield capacity. The shield capacity doesn’t really matter when it comes to Mord but it does against Lilith or Roland.

The problem with Brick is that your health regen skill is berserk. When your berserk you can only punch 20+12feet (skirmisher class mod is +3 sting like a bee which is +12 feet) Also, the further you are from the enemy the more buggy it becomes. This makes it almost impossible to get up close enough to anyone that can snare you to do anything other than wait to be killed.

The flip side problem is that if you don’t berserk then you have NO health regen outside of transfusions and bloody weapons. With that being the case even with Bricks insane HP (can get it to about 2200 if I remember right) a couple well placed shots can destroy that and without the health regen from berserk the 2k hp is just an empty health bar.

Nov 05, 09 at 9:39am
The Stinger

quote Chaotic
I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to the people tossing around insults since there's a high chance that he'll retaliate to those insults and so forth and we don't need a flame war here.

This isnt a general response for me, to go off topic in a thread on the brink but I think Ill drop you guys a bit of advice here.

Ive moderated a few forums here, and been a member here for about 7 years. When you see someone posting in the manner that SS is, take a look at the post count for starters. You can see that he is new here.

Respond to his post, on topic, and ignore the rest. Many times these new members are just old members who have been banned for similar behavior, or they are new and just need some attention. If you deny that attention, the behavior changes.

Taking a thread off topic by telling others to stop arguing, is what we Moderators referred to as "Memberating", which can be just as bad as the original offender. When youre not a moderator, you cant really suggest someone post a certain way. Youre overstepping your boundaries, and 99% of the time it is going to elicit a negative response.

Its best to just let the little stuff go. Respond to the post, or if the post is offensive, report the post. The forum moderator, or section moderator will see it and respond accordingly.

The less attention you give people who act this way, the less of that posting manner you will see.

Now, thats it for my Memberating session.

In regard to the topic at hand, I find Mordecai to be a bit of a pain to handle in a straight up duel over loot if the person using him has 100% Shield ignore talent maxxed out. If he has a good rifle, the duel is over before it really begins. Especially if he leads off with the bloodwing attack.

The Siren is really the only character Ive had much success with against that build with Mordecai, and only for the first phasewalk. If I cant do significant damage and finish him quickly after the electric elemental boost wipes his shield off, then its one good shot and its over for me.

I havent tried Brick in any fashion yet, so he may be the one that can take him on and live to tell about it.

Nov 05, 09 at 2:56am
chaotic

quote The Stinger
The answer to the question is Mordecai overpowered is no. We've covered that.

SS was 7 levels above the enemy he obliterated, which is natural to happen in an rpg style game. Especially in this game where the game rates the difficulty for you based on enemy levels you will face. Once the enemies in the missions youve picked up hit 5 levels above you, the mission difficulty is rated Impossible in big red letters.

If 5 levels above makes it impossible to defeat them, then 7 levels higher makes it that much worse.

If you fight within the level range, Mordecai is as balanced as the rest. Hes a powerful ranged fighter that can drop most enemies before they can reach him, or while taking minimal damage.

His lower life bar however makes it harder for him to mix it up close range with multiple enemies though, so you have to work quickly to not get overwhelmed and killed.
I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to the people tossing around insults since there's a high chance that he'll retaliate to those insults and so forth and we don't need a flame war here.

Nov 05, 09 at 12:12am
The Stinger

The answer to the question is Mordecai overpowered is no. We've covered that.

SS was 7 levels above the enemy he obliterated, which is natural to happen in an rpg style game. Especially in this game where the game rates the difficulty for you based on enemy levels you will face. Once the enemies in the missions youve picked up hit 5 levels above you, the mission difficulty is rated Impossible in big red letters.

If 5 levels above makes it impossible to defeat them, then 7 levels higher makes it that much worse.

If you fight within the level range, Mordecai is as balanced as the rest. Hes a powerful ranged fighter that can drop most enemies before they can reach him, or while taking minimal damage.

His lower life bar however makes it harder for him to mix it up close range with multiple enemies though, so you have to work quickly to not get overwhelmed and killed.

Nov 04, 09 at 10:45pm
chaotic

Everyone, cool your jets. Just drop it, we don't need this to escalate and the thread is already going kind of off topic guys.