Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » The xx » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Sep 27, 09 at 4:24pmThe Dave

quote last.fm
The xx are a London quartet, featuring the dual lead vocals of Romy Madley Croft and Oliver Sim (who also play lead guitar and bass guitar respectively), Baria Qureshi (keyboards and guitar) and Jamie Smith (beats, MPC sampler).

Bonding over a shared love of dark, emotive 80s guitar sounds and the high-end sheen of American R&B, The xx’s unique sound befits a band whose wide range of influences combine via beautiful, hushed vocal duets and a brilliantly inventive use of samples and low-end frequencies to produce stark, sweet melancholic pop.

Discography:

xx
(2009)

1. Intro
  2. VCR
  3. Crystalised
  4. Islands
  5. Heart Skipped a Beat
  6. Fantasy
  7. Shelter
  8. Basic Space
  9. Infinity
  10. Night Time
  11. "Stars

Standout tracks:

I don't even know where to start with this band. Part lo-fi indie-rock, part 80s referencing shoegaze. For a debut the album is remarkably reserved. Unlike tourmates The Big Pink there are no indie-anthems, just a steady showcasing of a polished, contemplative sound. The dual female/male vocals and the wonderfully understated production are what make this band so special. There's a real honesty to everything about this record, no bravado, no forced "standout singles", just a succession of beautiful, melancholic pop music. Quite possibly the best UK album so far this year.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 25, 13 at 3:19pm
Toby

mind = blown

May 20, 13 at 6:58pm
Bollo

massively jealous man that's the day after my final exam, i was going to treat myself to a ticket, but in the end couldn't justify the cost. anyway it turns out i'll be seeing them 8 days after you at glastonbury, where I'll get to right the wrong of not having taken anything when seeing them first time round haha

May 20, 13 at 2:26pm
Toby

HahAha any tears and he'll receive a slap! Oh and don't be jealous without having a look at the venue! Looks crazy, might trip

Cheeky bastards said it was in London but waaaay out!!

May 20, 13 at 1:27pm
The Shape

damn, xx with a dude who was meant to be there with his ex. Could get intense.

May 20, 13 at 1:22pm
DanielT

lol ahh that's fair game then

May 20, 13 at 12:53pm
Toby

DanielT xx sent out emails saying they had free tickets to a London event and like 16 people would win and my friend won! He was taking his girlfriend (forced) but they broke up and he called me the day after to say we were going

May 20, 13 at 8:48am
DanielT

how is it free Toby?

May 20, 13 at 5:36am
Toby

FINALLY! I get to see the xx live - been desperate for the past 3 years and I get to see them along with all these other acts for free - be green

http://thexx.info/nightanddaylondon

Dec 11, 12 at 7:38pm
Bollo

Went to see these in Newcastle tonight. Far too many phones about, and I don't like the O2 Academy as a venue, but *bleep*, The xx were brilliant. Amazing light show, the live versions of the songs are incredible, bass and Jamie's drum machine is so loud, and Romy's guitar cuts through it beautifully. Romy definitely the better live singer mind. Incredible version of Stars to finish as well, Shelter was another one that I hadn't thought of much but was excellent live.

Thankfully there wasn't people screaming every lyric, people just kinda sang to themselves, which sounded lovely when they played something everyone knew like Islands. I know it seems obvious but why they don't open with Intro is beyond me, kinda felt out of place at the beginning of an encore.

Dec 09, 12 at 2:12pm
EricF

quote Matty
EricF, you ever listened to Mmoths? He opened, really really good. Kinda chilled noise-rock electronica...
The name has popped up once or twice recently. I'll be sure to check him out!