Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Graphics and Animation » Sample Graphics » There Is A Light That Never Goes Out » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Graphics and Animation forum! Please feel free to look around and learn new things in here. Don't be shy in sharing your knowledge as well. Before you start a new thread PLEASE make sure a thread doesn't already exist for the same purpose.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Aug 04, 09 at 1:58amRiotType

SampleGRAPHICS

Welcome to Neoseeker's Sample Graphics, where you are free to post any digital artwork for criticism. Please take the time to read the following rules. Rules revised and shortened.

Rules of Sample Graphics
  • Sexual Content; Content showing nudity or mature acts of sexual behavior are not permitted.

• Theft; Neoseeker will not tolerate anyone stealing other artist's work and claiming it as their own. Violaters of this will be permanently banned on sight.

• Giving Criticism; Be CONSTRUCTIVE with your criticism. If you don't like something, say why. Give suggestions on how to fix it, and ways they can improve their work in the future. If you posting some of your work its only polite to critique on people before you. Try and actually help them rather then just explaining what they did so you can get criticism on yours.

• Recieving Criticism; Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people are going to like your work, and some aren't. Know this. Please use appropriate behavior if someone gives you bad feedback on your work. Contrary to what you may think, they are only trying to help. Also, please take what they say into consideration when continuing on with your graphics. Theres no point in posting here if you won't even try to adjust to what people say.

• Large Images; Images that are over the demensions of 500x500 and/or above the filesize of 150 kB, you MUST supply them with a link. There will be no penalty or ban given if you fail to do so but it just helps if you link such images as they tend to stretch the page making the thread look generally ugly.

• Flash Animation; Link all Flash creations.

• Fan Art/Hand Drawings; This is Graphics and Animation. Do not post work that you have not digitally edited yourself. This includes fan art and hand drawings. You may only post them if you have done something digital to them.

------------------------

Previous Thread: Sample Graphics
  • Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 28, 15 at 4:49pm
    Iscariot

that is muy sexy, Aether, and the depth of field is excellent. very easy to identify the focal of the piece, and I love the colors. gives the feel of a desert landscape with some subtle vibrancy (the pink fabric atop her head, her eye) that pops out without being too in your face.

I think maybe my only gripe is the lack of texture to her hair, which makes it difficult to distinguish it from the fabric wrapped around the back of her head, since they're more or less the same color.

Mar 25, 15 at 11:52am
    Aether

Tengu, I've never tried that before, but I'm fairly certain its a feature available for use in Photoshop. Thanks for the tip, definitely one I'll have to try next time!

Mar 25, 15 at 11:43am
    Tengu

Aether

Have you tried using a gradient?

I know you're using photoshop, but in Illustrator you can create vector shapes made from gradients, making soft transitions from colour to colour. Selective use of this could have a real impact in some of your pieces, like the eye shadow in your latest piece for example.

Great illusion of depth of field here.

Mar 25, 15 at 9:02am
    Aether

Any feedback about this piece would be greatly appreciated. I feel like the area around the eye needs to be darker, yet I can't quite get it right without the whole face looking crap.

Feb 12, 15 at 9:20am
    Aether

quote Iscariot
    Aether - been meaning to get something typed up in response for a couple of days here; sorry for the delay, bud!

the sheer dimension of the piece is astonishing. in particular, the head feels almost tactile, and there's a great amount of depth. the sharpness of the hair contrasted against the background is fantastic, and the intricacy of the detail is top-notch.
    when we move beyond the head to the torso and hand, however, these feel a bit flat. I can't even quite articulate why, but they lack the depth of the head.
    I actually quite like the background, though the lens flare in the upper left corner seems like it could be done differently and better.

overall, fantastic piece. great colors. and for the record, I think I prefer the landscape orientation, though that could just be because it could be used as a wallpaper, and because I can see the whole thing more easily without scrolling about.
    Awesome, thanks for the support. I can see what you mean about the hand and torso, I don't think it helped having a light source so close to the hand there (which is why the lens flare was included, as that was an original light source)

I kind of prefer it portrait (which is why I'm selling it portrait), but it'll still be available landscape on some products. I'm very happy with this, and this it's probably one of my favourites I've done. (:

Feb 12, 15 at 8:51am
    Iscariot

Aether - been meaning to get something typed up in response for a couple of days here; sorry for the delay, bud!

the sheer dimension of the piece is astonishing. in particular, the head feels almost tactile, and there's a great amount of depth. the sharpness of the hair contrasted against the background is fantastic, and the intricacy of the detail is top-notch.
    when we move beyond the head to the torso and hand, however, these feel a bit flat. I can't even quite articulate why, but they lack the depth of the head.
    I actually quite like the background, though the lens flare in the upper left corner seems like it could be done differently and better.

overall, fantastic piece. great colors. and for the record, I think I prefer the landscape orientation, though that could just be because it could be used as a wallpaper, and because I can see the whole thing more easily without scrolling about.

Feb 09, 15 at 12:23pm
    Aether

I'd like to know everyone's opinion on this piece, especially on the background, as I'm not 100%, but I'm near enough with it.

Ready For Abduction - Katy Perry

Edit: What would be better, landscape or portrait?

Jan 08, 15 at 11:48pm
    Remedy

I like it better already. I think you should go back to the black font though, and then use the outerglow. Maybe even make the glow larger and not as much as an outline. Again, not entirely sure how familiar you are with photoshop, so I'm going to help you out with the steps.
    • right click and then go to blending options
    • click onto outerglow (and check-mark it)
    • Under elements, put the spacing to maybe... 5%
    • Under elements, put the spacing to maybe... 35 px
    It should somewhat look like what Nathan was talking about. Of course, you can play around with those percentages and pixels to you liking.

Jan 08, 15 at 2:38am
    Al The Killer

click

Second draft. This is a lot better! Thanks Remedy and nathan.

edit: oos, forgot a a capitol, but that doesn't change much.

Jan 08, 15 at 12:52am
    Al The Killer

Thanks Remedy. Yeah, I wasn't sure what to do for capitols. I'm also in a bit of a bind adding more lakes to the map. I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I'm looking at more fonts right now.

Edit: Thanks, nathan. I'll get right on that.